Author Topic: Strange voice + Miguel + FATE + Dragon God / Time Devourer  (Read 899 times)

Hammerheart

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
Strange voice + Miguel + FATE + Dragon God / Time Devourer
« on: April 27, 2007, 09:12:55 am »
I just finished Chrono Cross the second time and started to study the plot more carefully. This site has been most helpful but here are some quick questions which still need to be answered.

Who/What is the strange voice you hear after battle with Miguel ? "I love you so much... That is why I sometimes desire to smash you to bits !" or something like that. Only thing I can think of is FATE but I can't really understand why (and to whom) he would say such thing.

Now a question about Miguel. Why does he attack your party ? I read somewhere that he was guarding the Frozen Flame. But why doesn't he want Serge to reach it ? Is Miguel under FATEs control ?

Now this leads us to third question. I didn't really pay attention to this while playing and I feel a little stupid now. What does FATE actually need Frozen Flame for ? To control peoples emotions etc like ghosts at the Chronopolis told you ? Or does FATE simply want to be as close to it as possible so that he could guard it and make sure that Dragon Gods power remains sealed ?

And the final question about the Dragon god. Why is the dragon you fight in Terra Tower (the very last enemy there) called TimeDevourer instead of Dragon God ?

Right. That's it for now. I probably add more questions as I continue my research about the storyline.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Re: Strange voice + Miguel + FATE + Dragon God / Time Devourer
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2007, 12:06:41 pm »
Ultimania tried to explain that one:

While continuously protecting humanity, there was deep love and ??on top
that??,  deep envy and hatred. The feelings FATE had for the humans was
complicated. After it acquired an incarnation [not sure?] that possesses a
human body, the feelings of the person of the original body held, inter-mixes
with the feeling of the already complicated FATE, as a result, the disorder
further intensifies, gradually leading to corruption. After that, the
destruction activities were manifestations of this complicated feeling. The
statement above [the "I love you so much..." statement], was said by FATE
when she had the Dead Sea destroyed, and it was directed to the entire human
race more than Serge.

We could use a new translation of that...

Yes, Miguel is guarding Home World's Frozen Flame. FATE doesn't exactly need that one as much as it doesn't want Serge to have it. We are not told what Serge will gain by getting it, nor do we ever actually see it there, but FATE destroys the Dead Sea to prevent its acquisition.

But Another World's Frozen Flame is Chronopolis's integral component. FATE would also never let an artifact like that get out of control in the world.

The DG is named Time Devourer because the real Dragon God was consumed by the Time Devourer after being destroyed by Chronopolis. Thus the Dragon God that appears afterwards is sort of an avatar or projection from within the Time Devourer.

Magus_Brokenhart

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
Re: Strange voice + Miguel + FATE + Dragon God / Time Devourer
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2007, 04:02:04 am »
1. The voice is the Fate computer. She is most likely directing that towards humanity as a whole, since she is programmed to protect them. Fate is a complex computer who might be able to emulate emotions (maybe). So what she means that she loves humans, and that she has to destroy them sometimes to protect them as a whole. Which is why she eliminates dangerous people that threaten to ruin the careful balance she created like General Viper.

2. Miguel seems to have resignated himself to Fate's wisdom, and might have even agreed with her to a certain extent. Seeing it as a necessary evil. She was manipulative, but in the end she was keeping the balance necessary to protect humans, which the planet saw as a pest. Though brainwashing is not past Fate, since she eroded Wazuki's soul away...

3. Fate wanted the flame for power. The power to continue to keep things in control, like protecting humans from themselves and from the Dragon Entity. Protecting the flame was also part of Fate's programing, and it was even hinted that Fate wanted to become a new life form with the use of the flame. This is further reinforced when she asks Serge to teach her what it truly is to be alive. A sort of jealousy and desire for life.

4. Zeality covered this pretty well. The Dragon Gods were actually far gone, consumed in the distant past. They were a part of Lavos or maybe even one of the Lavos Spawn, but it gets too confusing from there. Their will still exists, which was strong enough to make that projection into the physical world. Lavos/Schala might have also used this to gain access to the physical world like Fate with with Wazuki/Lynx. Remember, he's stuck in the abyss.