Author Topic: Virginia Tech Massacre  (Read 8748 times)

Beeyo

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
Re: Virginia Tech Massacre
« Reply #60 on: April 18, 2007, 11:11:40 am »
I don't support the idea of banning guns, but I do know that kid couldn't have killed 33 people with a knife. Maybe we should not limit the amount of guns in the country, but limit the amount of bullets available to the public, or lower the maximum legal clip size for a handgun from 19 bullets to 4 bullets. Who the hell needs 19 bullets in their gun? Besides pi.. I mean cops and soldiers?
I want a bo staff too.

Kyronea

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 18, 2007, 11:16:50 am »
I don't support the idea of banning guns, but I do know that kid couldn't have killed 33 people with a knife. Maybe we should not limit the amount of guns in the country, but limit the amount of bullets available to the public, or lower the maximum legal clip size for a handgun from 19 bullets to 4 bullets. Who the hell needs 19 bullets in their gun? Besides pi.. I mean cops and soldiers?
I support the idea of ammunition control, but ammunition is a lot easier to manufacture than an entire gun is, and it is a lot easier to store, ship, and smuggle in. Ammution control, while a good idea, is simply too dififcult for us to achieve, especially if we can't stop drug smuggling, which is a lot harder to smuggle than ammunition.

I want a bo staff too.
It's quite neat, and if you take a look online you can easily find several different martial arts stores that sell top-notch quality bo staffs, and other such weaponry.

Joe000

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 18, 2007, 02:25:59 pm »
Prove to me that it is a "new" problem. Given the xenophobic nature of your post, I'm not interested in listening to your opinions. Give me facts, or don't expect to be taken seriously.
Sure.  Go try and find stuff about school shootings since about the 60's (only one I can think of is UT massacre in '66).  You're not going to find much.  In fact, if you want a quick way, go to the "School shooting" page on Wikipedia.  Almost every one of them is post 1960, and even more, the last 3 decades.  Still not a problem for you, genius?  As for the "xenophobe" thing, wow.  It must be great to know that you can simply block out whatever you don't want to hear, thus never being challenged in any of your assumptions.  Now THAT'S the way to finding out the truth!!!  Ok ok, I'm done.  You can return to sticking your head up your ass.  Lesson is over.

SergeTheRadicalDreamer

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 18, 2007, 07:10:42 pm »
I don't think gun control has a whole lot to do with this situation.  Given the nature of his crime, a lot must have built up to it.  Apparently he wrote stories about pedophilia, which suggests that he may have been molested as a child.  Just speculation, I know, but my point is that he had a lot of time to think about this, and if guns werent legally available to him he would have taken that time to find one illegally.  Even supposing he didnt do that, he would have found a way to hurt SOMEONE, which is still a tragedy despite the diminished scale.  I'm not taking a stand on the gun control issue, I'm just saying that bad things would have happened no matter what.

I point my finger at the faculty.  In case any of you havent heard the latest news, the school was evacuated again when a threatening call was made to the president.  So wait...  a few people are killed and business continues as usually (I'm referring to the aftermath of the first round of shootings), but when the president gets a threatening phone call suddenly its time to take things seriously?  It shows who they really care about.  I remember being in high school, having the faculty say things like "We only have your best interests in mind," and "We know whats best for you,"  when its not really about the students at all.  They know whats best for them;  a docile, compliant student body.  These sentiments from on high are alienating and frustrating to those who value their individuality.  Its not farfetched to think that putting this stress on a student could be a good part of what motivates them to do something insane.  Its frightening what can happen when a person loses sense of who they are...  Of course, this happened at a college, where individuality tends to be encouraged rather than doused, but I would be surprised to find that this student's high school experience wasn't similar to what I just described.  If schools weren't so concerned with creating drones and were aware of the fact that their presence can be traumatizing to some kids, they would be more able to pinpoint volatile students and give them the help they need.

Joe000

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 18, 2007, 09:00:42 pm »
Anyone see the videos of him yet?  Yeesh.

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #65 on: April 18, 2007, 09:45:35 pm »
Gun control. So it comes down to that. There is no single policy that would have a wider-reaching, more immediate, less costly effect.

Unfortunately, though it might seem logical, history has proven otherwise. Note that here in Canada we've tried it for several years. Not only has it been ineffective (the criminals and those performing violent acts still get guns... note we had a school shooting in Montreal not too long ago with guns that were obtained under gun control), but it has been enormously expensive. Hence, it is not cheap, nor is it immediate or far reaching. So, while it seems to be a good idea in theory, it doesn't pan out, and that's proven by the actual attempt. It's simplistic to think that it would work so easily in practice.

So what have you to say to this? It is easy to argue the gun control issue from a theoretical perspective, the 'what if'... you're saying 'it'll work' and others saying 'no, it won't.' But here's where it's been actually put into practice, far surer proof that it wouldn't work than any guessing at the issue.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 09:58:45 pm by Daniel Krispin »

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #66 on: April 19, 2007, 01:16:18 am »
Anyone see the videos of him yet?  Yeesh.
Yep. He thinks he is some kind of messiah for the poor, and outcast from the evil, an Ishmael Ax.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 19, 2007, 01:34:12 am »
Unfortunately, though it might seem logical, history has proven otherwise. Note that here in Canada we've tried it for several years. Not only has it been ineffective (the criminals and those performing violent acts still get guns... note we had a school shooting in Montreal not too long ago with guns that were obtained under gun control), but it has been enormously expensive. Hence, it is not cheap, nor is it immediate or far reaching. So, while it seems to be a good idea in theory, it doesn't pan out, and that's proven by the actual attempt. It's simplistic to think that it would work so easily in practice.

So what have you to say to this? It is easy to argue the gun control issue from a theoretical perspective, the 'what if'... you're saying 'it'll work' and others saying 'no, it won't.' But here's where it's been actually put into practice, far surer proof that it wouldn't work than any guessing at the issue.

Even if I were to take for granted your assertion that gun control in Canada has been an expensive failure (which I don't grant in the least), I am still not convinced that your Canada is representative of the norm. Look at all the societies where guns are heavily restricted. Somebody upthread gave Japan as an example--that's the ideal case. There were something like 53 known shootings in Japan last year. Given the size of their population, that's very impressive. And it's not hypothetical. Japan is a real country.

So too are England, Singapore, Germany...and Canada. I looked it up. All of these are countries with significant gun restrictions, and all of them have a far lower rate of intentional gun violence than does the United States.

There does seem to be a cultural factor in play. Some societies are simply far more averse to gun violence than others, without regard to restrictions on guns. We have a violent, freewheeling, vigilante culture in many parts of America. But, dash it all, we also have a whole friggin' lot of guns.

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #68 on: April 19, 2007, 02:18:34 am »
It is, actually, one of the scandals surrounding the Liberal party. That and the so-called Sponsership scandal which wasted a heck of a lot of money. The gun registry has been seen to be a big expensive failure. I'd have to look up the numbers, but hereabouts it has come up in the news many times. At any rate, it has cost many millions of dollars and note changed gun violence at all. It is the same now as before and, simply put, the system itself is ridiculous. I recall a few years back someone was able to register their glue-gun - make: Black and Decker; calibre: 120volt. Granted, this might be Canada... and I suppose such a silly error in the system sounds stereotypically Canadian. But nonetheless, the gun registry as it exists is an expensive failure... that is indisputable. The only thing that might be up to question is whether a better system might be more effective.

However, I must say one thing further. I'm not certain on your numbers regarding other countries. I've heard it said quite the opposite in fact: that Britain, after instituting gun control, saw a rise in handgun violence, rather than a decrease. Whether or not it is lower compared to the US is irrelevant. What must be looked at is the pre/post figures. Unfortunately I don't know them myself firsthand, and in that assertion am taking a friend at his word.

See, to say 'this country has this many shootings' and compare it to the US is not a logical assertion to make. There might be other factors involved, including cultural (you might not like racial stereotypes, but certain races are more prone to violence than others... I mean, Germans are considered belligerant not without cause, and I say that as someone with mostly German blood myself.) Just because Japan has a low instance of shootings doesn't mean this is due to gun control at all - perhaps they are more prone to injuring themselves rather than others (I've heard their suicide rate is alarmingly high), which would be a cultural mindset, ie. take it out on oneself before others. No, that is a flawed way to look at gun control stats Lord J. What you really have to do is look at them pre/post in a given country, ie. what were the rates before the institution, and then after. Otherwise you're not working in a closed system. See, for any sort of logical input-output test one must have one changing variable, one responding, and the others fixed. If you change countries as the changing variable you're including a host of extra changing variables that can mess up the response. You have to keep as much constant as possible, ie. eliminate possible cultural factors. The best way of doing this is to keep the country and culture the same, and only change that singular factor of gun control, and then see the outcome.

And, from that perspective, I've heard it said that in fact gun control only has the effect of making gun violence worse. Then again, that was told to me by a friend who is very much in favour of guns, so as much as I respect his opinion, I can't be 100% on it. Nonetheless, it is a statement worth making, and should be investigated from that angle, because simply comparing countries provides misleading data.

Okay, don't blast me for referring to Wiki for the Canadian gun registry, but
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_gun_registry
It essentially says what's been in the papers all along, and the public views on the matters. It's cost us 2 billion dollars, and there still was that school shooting in Montreal not too long ago. If that is not absolute proof of its failure, it sure provides one heck of a crack in its solidity.

And here is for the UK. Again, sorry for the Wiki, but if it's wrong, show me the before/after stats that disprove it. This is just backing up what my friend told me:

In 2005/06 there were 766 offences initially recorded as homicide by the police in England and Wales (including the 52 victims of the 7 July 2005 London bombings),[15] a rate of 1.4 per 100,000 of population. Only 50 (6.6%) were committed with firearms, one being with an air weapon.[16] The homicide rate for London was 2.4 per 100,000 in the same year (1.7 when excluding the 7 July bombings).[17]

By comparison, 5.5 murders per 100,000 of population were reported by police in the United States in 2000, of which 70% involved the use of firearms (75% of which were illegally obtained).[18] New York City, with a population size similar to London and similar firearms laws with almost all firearms prohibited to normal citizens (over 7 million residents), reported 6.9 murders per 100,000 people in 2004.[19]

The rise in UK gun crime is a long term trend that is apparently unaffected by the state of UK firearms legislation. [20] Before the 1997 ban, handguns were only held by 0.1% of the population,[21] and while the number of crimes involving firearms in England and Wales increased from 13,874 in 1998/99 to 24,070 in 2002/03, they remained relatively static at 24,094 in 2003/04, and have since fallen to 21,521 in 2005/06. The latter includes 3,275 crimes involving imitation firearms and 10,437 involving air weapons, compared to 566 and 8,665 respectively in 1998/99.[22] Only those "firearms" positively identified as being imitations or air weapons (e.g. by being recovered by the police or by being fired) are classed as such, so the actual numbers are likely to be significantly higher. In 2005/06, 8,978 of the total of 21,521 firearms crimes (42%) were for criminal damage.[23]

Since 1998 number of people injured by firearms in England and Wales has more than doubled[24] from 2,378 in 1998/99 to 4,001 in 2005/06. "Injury" in this context means by being fired, used a blunt instrument, or as a threat. In 2005/06, 87% of such injuries were defined as "slight," which includes the use of firearms as a threat only. The number of homicides committed with firearms has remained between a range of 46 and 97 for the past decade, standing at 50 in 2005/06 (a fall from 75 the previous year). Between 1998/99 and 2005/06, there have been only two fatal shootings of police officers in England and Wales. Over the same period there were 107 non-fatal shootings of police officers - an average of just 9.7 per year.[25]

If that is correct, then the institution of gun control in the UK has done at best nothing, and at worst made it worse. What is your response to this assertion?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2007, 02:26:39 am by Daniel Krispin »

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 19, 2007, 02:30:31 am »
My response is that you make a solid argument. I'm afraid I don't have the time to do such a thorough job myself. I will concede the point for now, but let this remain an unresolved question between us. Remind me later!

(Unless anybody else wants to tackle it...)

Leebot

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Black Wind Agent (+600)
    • View Profile
    • Infophilia
« Reply #70 on: April 19, 2007, 03:30:42 am »

This is where the scientist in me comes out and points out that's it's absolutely impossible to determine what causes the lower level of gun violence in some countries over others, because there's no way to run a controlled experiment, or even just compare countries that differ in only one manner. The best we can do is hypothesize, then try to test it by changing our own country in the manner we think makes sense.

As for Japan, I was the one who brought it up earlier, and I'd like to make an extension: Look at the rate of violent crime in Japan that utilizes bladed weapons. It's a fair bit higher than most other countries, and the reason for this is likely the tight gun control. Gun control didn't stop violence; it just changed it's form. Hell, Japan still has it's own active mobs that put the US to shame, so it's hardly a case of their culture leading them away from violent crime. However, this change of form alone can be seen as a victory, as it's a lot harder to commit a mass killing with a knife, and they see a lot fewer of them in Japan.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #71 on: April 19, 2007, 05:50:44 am »

This is where the scientist in me comes out and points out that's it's absolutely impossible to determine what causes the lower level of gun violence in some countries over others, because there's no way to run a controlled experiment, or even just compare countries that differ in only one manner. The best we can do is hypothesize, then try to test it by changing our own country in the manner we think makes sense.

As for Japan, I was the one who brought it up earlier, and I'd like to make an extension: Look at the rate of violent crime in Japan that utilizes bladed weapons. It's a fair bit higher than most other countries, and the reason for this is likely the tight gun control. Gun control didn't stop violence; it just changed it's form. Hell, Japan still has it's own active mobs that put the US to shame, so it's hardly a case of their culture leading them away from violent crime. However, this change of form alone can be seen as a victory, as it's a lot harder to commit a mass killing with a knife, and they see a lot fewer of them in Japan.
So...what can we do?

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 19, 2007, 12:31:21 pm »
The only option I can offer up, again, is training in both safety and use. I now point to Switzerland, which has far more guns than they know what to do with yet their violent crime right is nigh nil. Similarly, as pointed out by Leebot, Japan has almost no guns whatsoever, so instead violent crime with bladed weapons soars dramatically.

It has to be cultural...something in specific cultures breeds more violence than other cultures. Something about the way society acts, the psyche of the individual, and whatnot. It could be what I pointed out earlier with the macho man societal outlook--Japan rates quite highly on that scale, most assuredly--but I doubt that is the whole story.

So, what can we do? The best we can do is raise our children not to use violence except as a last resort--and then the absolute minimum necessary--and to target and eliminate the causes of violent crime, such as poverty. Until we can truly examine ourselves more closely that's the best we can do.

cronopolis

• Porrean (+50)
  • Time travel.....pretty confusing isn't it
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 19, 2007, 05:11:49 pm »
I agree with you on that note in that, and offer this quote from J from MIB, "people, no people are voilent, stupid, and unable to handle themselves" or something of that matter, and also I would like to state that violence with swords sounds better then with guns but that's just me.

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 19, 2007, 05:15:50 pm »
Would it be? A gunshot directed to the correct place kills almost instantly, ensuring little if any pain. Gunshot wounds to other parts of the body can result in a much more painful death, but they tend to pale compared to the damage and pain a sword or other bladed weapon can inflict, since even the quickest possible death through bladed weapons--decapitation--is not as quick as it might appear.