Author Topic: 8th Playable Character Possible?! (Updating!)  (Read 66616 times)

Schala Zeal

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • 7th Elemental Innate, and vtuber
    • View Profile
Re: 8th Playable Character Possible?! (Updating!)
« Reply #405 on: March 28, 2016, 12:17:49 pm »
Well if we're talking magical girls, doesn't Sailor Moon have a scepter, as does Pretty Sammy? Or a baton?

Razig

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: March 28, 2016, 01:54:25 pm »
I think Schala wielding a scepter/staff in the fashion of Guile would fit perfectly, both visually and thematically. Have it levitate in front of her instead of actually being held, and her ranged attack could simply be pointing at an enemy which causes the staff to hurtle toward it, returning after the hit.

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: March 28, 2016, 03:17:13 pm »
Actually, that as a weapon would be interesting. 

skylark

• Poet of El Nido
  • Black Wind Agent (+600)
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: March 28, 2016, 03:59:58 pm »
I think Schala wielding a scepter/staff in the fashion of Guile would fit perfectly, both visually and thematically. Have it levitate in front of her instead of actually being held, and her ranged attack could simply be pointing at an enemy which causes the staff to hurtle toward it, returning after the hit.

...I want to press the 'Like' button for this post, but I can't find it. D:

Schala Zeal

• View Profile
« Reply #409 on: March 28, 2016, 07:28:28 pm »
Exactly! I'm a sorceress, not Jason Vorhees.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: March 29, 2016, 03:54:29 pm »
Well, I don't think the Schala in the game was ever labeled a sorceress. Magical princess, sure. Sorceresses are more like witches, right? With cauldrons and wands and Hagrids.

Schala Zeal

• View Profile
« Reply #411 on: March 30, 2016, 02:01:22 am »
That's sorceress stereotyping, and I resent that statement :(

EgyLynx

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: March 30, 2016, 01:36:49 pm »
 :?
Well... thats is wery danger... also that there slims? Anyway, but snakes there are...

stewelement

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: October 19, 2016, 04:46:31 pm »
I'm late to the party, apologies for posting in a dormant thread, but I could not help myself once I found that there was recent activity on this project. I realize that the good people working on this are probably excellent spriters as well as experts with Temporal Flux, and that there are technical issues to sort out, but if sprite and animations are still a major obstacle, I would like to offer to help. I totally get it if the major players here want to keep this among themselves, no hard feelings. I am excited to see some movement on this (even if the last post is months old.)

Mauron

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
« Reply #414 on: October 20, 2016, 09:22:01 pm »
My focus has been on the technical end, and I can work with the partial graphics currently inserted (or even a duplicate of an existing graphics pack).

Justin can give better feedback on what's going on with a practical implementation of the patch.

Either way, you're free to make graphics for a new character - My part is to make sure you can have 8 total, no matter who.

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: October 21, 2016, 04:10:41 pm »
Most of the actual issues have been solved or are in the middle of being solved.. last I recall.

I think the biggest issue we had was the palette limitations but I 'think' you were able to fix that by moving some things to BG instead of being sprites.

Otherwise I think the 'lag' issue we had was because 8thy's events were loaded last instead of being first like the PC's.. but that'd require a massive edit of the game.  Probably wouldn't be a good idea until we have the actual basis ready and bug free.

Edit: I'm not sure where else we are at in the project and I think the latest patch or ROM I have is with something in the menu freeing up a palette slot.. I think.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 04:13:43 pm by justin3009 »

Mauron

• Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
« Reply #416 on: October 22, 2016, 05:28:56 am »
I think the biggest issue we had was the palette limitations but I 'think' you were able to fix that by moving some things to BG instead of being sprites.

Yeah, I had a fixed palette patch in place.

Otherwise I think the 'lag' issue we had was because 8thy's events were loaded last instead of being first like the PC's.. but that'd require a massive edit of the game.  Probably wouldn't be a good idea until we have the actual basis ready and bug free.

I was working on that slowly, because it was a rather tedious thing. I had to move 8thy's event into the proper location, then update all the events that reference an object number to be the correct one. Chunks of 16 was easier than all at once.

Edit: I'm not sure where else we are at in the project and I think the latest patch or ROM I have is with something in the menu freeing up a palette slot.. I think.
I'll throw up a new patch tomorrow, and stick a few more event fixes in.

Nangbaby

• Porrean (+50)
  • Frankenspriter at Large
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: October 22, 2016, 06:13:33 pm »
I'm late to the party, apologies for posting in a dormant thread, but I could not help myself once I found that there was recent activity on this project. I realize that the good people working on this are probably excellent spriters as well as experts with Temporal Flux, and that there are technical issues to sort out, but if sprite and animations are still a major obstacle, I would like to offer to help. I totally get it if the major players here want to keep this among themselves, no hard feelings. I am excited to see some movement on this (even if the last post is months old.)

If you have graphical skills and the technical skills necessary to make CT-compatible sprites, please don't wait for permission.

Not only have most of the spriters and pixel artists moved on, but anything you can add could be used by the entire community if you were willing to allow it. We need more content!  MOOOOOORE!

I say this as someone who still thinks of that Chrono Trigger-style fan sprite animation of SSJ Goku that I found but never saved and has been lost to the Internet...it only exists in my head at this point.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 11:50:51 am by Nangbaby »

IHBP

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: October 22, 2016, 08:52:47 pm »
If you're looking for CT sprite work I don't know how useful it is but I have an IPS that gives Magus a beard.

Also regarding the topic at hand is there going to be the option to edit 8thy's techs in temporal flux?

Mauron

• Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
« Reply #419 on: October 23, 2016, 01:54:16 am »
All my plugins are designed to be smart about the presence of an 8th character. Warrior Workshop has full 8thy support.

At 0x3FCE70, there's 8 bytes of data for PC portraits. With the 8th character, this data needed to be expanded to 16 bytes. At 0x00F2F0, there's 16 bytes of unused space that Temporal Flux ignores. I moved the portrait data here, which my plugins check.

For 8thy's techs, Hi-Tech has functionality to handle expanded techs - not just 8thy, but any expanded tech provided by the user.