Author Topic: Doing a report on time....  (Read 2369 times)

NonToxic

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pwned.nl
Doing a report on time....
« on: September 15, 2004, 09:42:31 pm »
In my English/Social studies class, we have been asked to do a report on time.  Since we are allowed to choose our own medium, I chose to do the Sci-Fi fantasy stlye using the Chrono Series.

The report is due in two weeks, so there is absolutely no way I'll be able to play through both games again. That is why I turn to the Compendium for help.

I need to answer the following questions:

A) "give a defintion of time"
B) "where did time comefrom/originate?"
C)"how is time used?"

If I could pull this off (with your help), I do belive it would be awesome.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2004, 10:02:32 pm »
I won't do the entire thing, but this might be in both our interests. I'll write something later.

Daggart

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2004, 10:29:05 pm »
"where did time comefrom/originate?"

Ah, isn't it fun attempting to discover the begining cause of something that is pretty much by definition, the cause of all causes?

Actually, all three of those are pretty tough questions. I'm reminded of Einstines definition of time - Time is what a clock measures.

Symmetry

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2004, 11:59:50 pm »
I suppose how you define 'time' changes the way you answer the other questions. If you say that time is a method of sequencing events relative to each other, then that would seem to make whoever speaks of time the originator. (Making time completely relative.)

Or maybe you could define 'time' as being the history of the universe, which would make the concept more concrete.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2004, 04:31:50 am »
A) "give a defintion of time"

1. Time is the dimension in which objects are in motion, either physically even unto the sub-atomic level, or through a series or duration of events. 2. Time is what allows us to distinguish what is happening and what has already happened.

B) "where did time comefrom/originate?"

Time originated upon the creation of things that are bound to time; all things. Whether from the big bang, before that, or from the hand of God, or even before He is as unkown as where all things came from.

C)"how is time used?"

Time is used to, as I said distinguish the happenings of the "now", the "before", and even the possibility of the "later" or "after".

I really don't know how I would answer these questions using the Chrono series, only in that time is used to distinguish between the different periods of time and it is also used to change events and happenings...But that really might be somewhat aside from time itself really...

Leebot

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Black Wind Agent (+600)
    • View Profile
    • Infophilia
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2004, 01:59:47 pm »
Speaking from a standpoint of relativity:

A) Give a definition of "Time."

Time is another dimension, somewhat different from the spacial dimensions. To better understand time, we must first define the "light-cone." The light-cone is the locus of all points in space time relative to a given base point that have the following properties:

1) The point is at relative rest to the base point.
2) The point could be reached from the base point by traveling at a speed less than the speed of light (for the future light-cone), or the base point could be reached from the point by traveling at a speed less than the speed of light. In other words, |Δd/Δt|<c.

Thus, the future light-cone is the locus of all points in space-time that are definitely in the future of the base point. The past light-cone is the locus of all points that are definitely in the past of the base point. Points on the edge of the future light-cone are either in the present or future of the base point. Points on the edge of the past light-cone are either in the present or past of the base point. Points outside the light-cone may be in the past, present or future of the base point. The last three possibilities depend of the relative speed to determine where they line up.

The purpose of the light-cone is to provide a definite order to events in time. What it doesn't do, however, is explain in which order events occur (past to future, or future to past). To give order to time, we must use three "arrows of time":

1) The Thermodynamical Arrow of Time - Entropy increases as time progresses.

2) The Psychological Arrow of Time - We remember the past, but not the present. Note that this arrow can be shown to actually be a direct result of the first arrow.

3) The Cosmological Arrow of Time - The universe is expanding.

These arrows need not point in the same direction, but, through a proof that I will omit (if you really want it, I'll give it), these arrows must point in the same direction if intelligent life is to form.

Explanation of Explanation: The lightcone portion is to define how time orders (sometimes) events into a past, present, and future. The arrows portion defines the difference between past and future.

B) Where did time originate?

Time is an intrinsic property of our universe, and was most likely created along with it. It's important to analyze the space-time curvature of the universe in order to show how it might look from outside our perspective of time. There are three possible curvatures:

1) Positive - The universe expands at first, then contracts in a Big Crunch. From outside, it may look like a hypersphere (a multidimensional version of a sphere).

2) Negative - The universe expands, and keeps expanding at a more and more rapid pace. It would "end" by becoming progressively thin and fading away, with a few black holes remaining as collections of matter.

3) Flat - The universe expands forever, but the rate of expansion keeps decreasing, so it approaches a final volume. Eventually, entropy and black holes would take over, causing a "heat death."

It's important to note that in the latter two cases, all that will remain will be black holes. Since black holes are most likely singularities, they have the possibility to sprout into new universes--maybe.

I'll leave part C to someone else.

Just a warning about copyright infringement: material placed in the public domain (such as this post) is automatically copyrighted, so you can't use what's been said here without citing it, unless it's common knowledge. I could, in theory, go without citing this as I'm not claiming it to be my own work, but since you may want to use it, I'll tell you that pretty much everything here is from Stephen Hawking's A Brief History of Time. The part that isn't is my analysis of the shape of the universe. This part is mostly my own (stemming from what's "common knowledge" in the theoretical physics community), and I can get into a lot more detail of my theories if you wish, but they don't pertain directly to time. Most of what is said here could be considered common knowledge, but be careful.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2004, 02:17:52 pm »
For the entirely Chrono part:

A.)

-Time is mostly linear, flowing on a straight 'timeline.'
-Time is relative to the observer; free will exists, meaning that one can change his or her own future from his or her point in time.
-Time can be traveled via wormholes (look those up for a basic definition).

After this, the basic axioms & corollaries come to bear (read that article). They include things like the nature of timelines (one per dimension; expunged timelines are send to the Darkness Beyond Time) and travel via wormholes (only three entities at a time) or the Epoch, etc.

C.)

-Time is "used" in the Chrono series to effect changes in the history of the world for the better (you can make an allusion here to Quantum Leap, the TV show).
-Specifically, time is used to prevent an apocalypse from ending human civilization.

Locuster

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2004, 03:21:57 am »
If you really REALLY are interested in the subject, I highly suggest Brian Greene's The Fabric of the Cosmos which I just finished reading.  It works well to update people who have minimal knowledge of physics with the latest theories.  Especially since it contains no math.  :D

NonToxic

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pwned.nl
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2004, 01:24:18 pm »
Well, this is all fine and dandy, and helpfull to boot.....but the report has to be 4-5 pages.  Do i use this stuf and BS the rest?

Leebot

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Black Wind Agent (+600)
    • View Profile
    • Infophilia
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2004, 02:24:08 pm »
Size 72 font, 3 inch margins, quintuple spacing, and a title page should make the word "TIME" fill up your report.