Author Topic: Final Fantasy 12  (Read 8594 times)

Sentenal

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
Final Fantasy 12
« on: March 26, 2007, 02:06:25 am »
I just bought this game, and I was wondering if I wasted my money or not.  Because so far, aside from the redone FF4 music at the begining, and good opening cutscene, which me liked, I'm getting very bored.  Is it worth it continuing this game, or is it going to end up like FF8, where I just decide to stop midgame because I don't care anymore?

Ramsus

Re: Final Fantasy 12
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 02:20:15 am »
Gameplay wise, learn about quickenings and how to get them quickly. That should keep the gameplay somewhat interesting.

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2007, 09:06:50 am »
It kept my interest for a while but eventually I felt as though I was just playing to see the ending. I've played it for 96 hours and I'm still not at the end of the game, though I set it aside a couple months ago.

Frankly, I was very disappointed with this game. I didn't have any real expectations, of course, but I was still disappointed because I was at least expecting some kind of good music, or maybe an actual story I could care about.

Glennleo

• Chrono Trigger + Crew
  • Temporal Warrior (+900)
  • Glenn - The true Hero and weilder of the Masamune.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2007, 09:13:30 am »
I dunno how many hours I'm into the game, but I'm at the last dungeon or w/e before the final boss. I stopped to get all the good weapons etc..., but got sooo bored I have yet to finish it.

I may go back to get the weapons, but if you read up on that you should know how much of a bitch it is to get anything good in that game. I may go back and just simply beat it, but I honestly have no desire to do that anytime soon.

To answer your question, it probably wasn't a waste of money if you just play it out. It gets a little better, but it just doesn't stand up to the other FF games in terms of story and things like that. I do think it's battle system is one of the best however.(A little bias since I used to play FFXI)

Sentenal

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2007, 12:03:56 pm »
Gameplay wise, learn about quickenings and how to get them quickly. That should keep the gameplay somewhat interesting.
I've seen some of those quickenings in the Lincenses menu, but what exactly do they do?  Special abilities or something?

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2007, 12:17:00 pm »
I've seen some of those quickenings in the Lincenses menu, but what exactly do they do?  Special abilities or something?

Think of them as 'Limit Breaks' or 'Overdrives'. They're special moves that cause a lot of damage, but require all of your MP as a cost. Each character can gain three, but each Quickening can only be gained by one character.

Mystic Frog King

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • It's a secret to everybody!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2007, 12:58:36 pm »
Gave up 20 hours in at those bloody Henne mines. It seems 5 hours of grinding isn't enough and my levels aren't high enough. So, I thought 'Screw this, I have better games like ICO, FFVII and FFVI to play'. And gave up. Temporarily.

Molotov

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
    • SDA Chrono Cross page.
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2007, 08:57:14 pm »
Personally, I think XII is pretty lame. However, I don't think it really fits in the "waste of $60" category (which is what I spent on it). I had high expectations coming in (I wanted the game for ages), but it eventually let me down. A word of warning: while Knights obviously wasn't the first of it's kind, XII rips off Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic badly. The battle system has a ton of similarities, which isn't necessarily a bad thing on it's own.

The problem really kicks in when you realize how much Star Wars-like stuff (which is a series I like) is in this game. Just watch the scene when you go to the final area, and it all makes sense (if it didn't earlier). Heck, I think I even noticed quite a few of these similarities very early on.

I'd recommend having a FAQ handy, for when you get bored of the sidequests (which shouldn't take all that long). I ended up using a FAQ to just finish the darn game at about 96+ hours in, I believe. Why bother figuring out puzzles and such in a fairly mediocre game?

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2007, 10:17:55 pm »
Well, I'll be the dissenter and say I absolutely loved it. I rented it, and played it for 55h (didn't finish it), and wasn't a whit bored. I've played FFVI, VII, X, and now XII, and it's quite the best. Only FFVI gets close. It's a strong contender for best RPG I ever played.

The battle system is nearly perfect. It's true, it's much like KOTOR, but it takes what's good from that system, and removes everything that's bad. Gambits are brilliant.

True, the story might leave a bit to be desired, but there are parts that are quite neat. And I simply adore their pronunciation of names, which goes beyond anything I'd expected. Really top notch. Best voice acting beside the Knights games (which I probably consider the best RPGs I ever played.)

I don't know... I just found the game captivating. The most fun I've ever had in a game just levelling up, in fact.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2007, 10:20:13 pm by Daniel Krispin »

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2007, 10:24:34 pm »
Ditched this and bought Castlevania:SOTN for XBOX 360. So much better, minus the horrid voice acting.

BTW, if you haven't played SOTN, get it, $10 for what was once a $50 dollar game makes it even better.

cupn00dles

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Beneath this mask there is more than flesh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2007, 02:19:29 pm »
Heh. This time, I won't even start.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2007, 07:08:03 pm »
The only FFs I ever cried off...er, quit on...were Mystic Quest (so...BORING) and FFII (I level up HOW? Maybe when I've got more time then sense on my hands). I think all of the others are deserving of seeing their endings...Plus, I think FFVIII had one of the best endings! Although that whole game is less about your character's party (hooray for another mostly underdeveloped cast!) and more about Laguna...*shrugs*

Feez

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2007, 11:46:04 pm »
As far as I'm concerned, this game is horrendously bad. It's a disgrace, really. Good thing I didn't pay for it or I would have done something drastic by now. I gave it a chance--a good 15 hours chance. And I wasn't impressed at all.

cupn00dles

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Beneath this mask there is more than flesh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2007, 05:08:21 pm »
Heh. It's funny that people who have a bad reaction to FFXII generally express their dislike just like people would with VS.

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2007, 05:15:36 pm »
Or Chrono Cross. Thing is, the usual retort to such comments is that "The story is deeper than that; you just don't understand it!" That's been said by defenders of Final Fantasy XII, Vagrant Story, and Chrono Cross alike.

Thing is, unlike with Vagrant Story and Chrono Cross, there really is no deeper meaning to the story of Final Fantasy XII. It's just poor, pure and simple.