Author Topic: So I turn twenty years old today...  (Read 1298 times)

Kyronea

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
So I turn twenty years old today...
« on: March 24, 2007, 06:27:12 am »
And I'm feeling...eh about it. My past couple of birthdays have felt this way too...it confuses me because I used to look forward to my birthday every year...and now I don't so much. Not that I dread it or anything...I'm just not as excited as I used to be about it.

Of course, current family situations aren't helping...my entire family is still sick so we'll probably postpone any celebration of my birthday, since we already did that for my little brother's birthday on Thursday. Typically, I'm not sick at all and I doubt I will get sick from whatever is plaguing them given that I didn't get sick from the last huge bug going around the family...but eh.

So...yeah. I'm twenty years old today. Yay?

Mystic Frog King

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • It's a secret to everybody!
    • View Profile
Re: So I turn twenty years old today...
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2007, 08:24:07 am »
Uh, congratulations, I guess...

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2007, 08:30:49 am »
So you're twenty now. How well and good. For your next trick, you shall turn forty. Whereas you have spent the last two decades learning how to read and speak, wash under your arms, rebel against authority figures, crawl in your skin, and think erotic thoughts about the sex(es) of your choice, the next two decades shall see you learn how to sit at a desk all day, become heinously obese, get married four times, crystalize your worldviews for the rest of your life, and "rationalize" your youthful dreams and ambitions into thinks like salary hikes and a bigger television screen. It's quite a challenge! (Although it's not all bad; anything with heinous obesity in it never is!)

Welcome to the Rest of Your Life. Happy Birthday.

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2007, 08:34:29 am »
So you're twenty now. How well and good. For your next trick, you shall turn forty. Whereas you have spent the last two decades learning how to read and speak, wash under your arms, rebel against authority figures, crawl in your skin, and think erotic thoughts about the sex(es) of your choice, the next two decades shall see you learn how to sit at a desk all day, become heinously obese, get married four times, crystalize your worldviews for the rest of your life, and "rationalize" your youthful dreams and ambitions into thinks like salary hikes and a bigger television screen. It's quite a challenge! (Although it's not all bad; anything with heinous obesity in it never is!)

Welcome to the Rest of Your Life. Happy Birthday.
You're quite cynical, aren't you? Haha...funny stuff though.

MFK: Why thank you...I guess...

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2007, 08:37:23 am »
I am not cynical in the least. Quite emphatically the contrary, in fact. I guess my wry wit might not be readily apparent in an online medium, if you haven't thought to be on the lookout for anything not patently obvious coming from other people--which would really be a shame, to lower your expectations of others so.

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2007, 08:40:05 am »
I am not cynical in the least. Quite emphatically the contrary, in fact. I guess my wry wit might not be readily apparent in an online medium, if you haven't thought to be on the lookout for anything not patently obvious coming from other people--which would really be a shame, to lower your expectations of others so.
Oh. No, I understood you were joking about it...I just supposed you were joking because you were cynical rather than merely possessing a wry wit, to quote you. My mistake.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2007, 08:52:19 am »
No mistake at all. This is a mistake:

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2007, 09:01:13 am »
Aye, that it is.

You have a gift for humour, J...you most certainly do.

Magus068

• Acacia Deva (+500)
  • Speak the truth, even it leads to your death!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2007, 09:37:12 am »
Happy birthday & may you have another year of wisdom...

Glennleo

• Chrono Trigger + Crew
  • Temporal Warrior (+900)
  • Glenn - The true Hero and weilder of the Masamune.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2007, 11:09:30 am »
And I'm feeling...eh about it. My past couple of birthdays have felt this way too...it confuses me because I used to look forward to my birthday every year...and now I don't so much. Not that I dread it or anything...I'm just not as excited as I used to be about it.

Of course, current family situations aren't helping...my entire family is still sick so we'll probably postpone any celebration of my birthday, since we already did that for my little brother's birthday on Thursday. Typically, I'm not sick at all and I doubt I will get sick from whatever is plaguing them given that I didn't get sick from the last huge bug going around the family...but eh.

So...yeah. I'm twenty years old today. Yay?

I know exactly how you feel. Birthdays just don't mean a whole lot to me anymore. Maybe it will feel a little different when I turn 21, but as far as 17-20 birthdays go they were just blah to me. 16 was sort of cool for a car lol.

Anyways, Happy Birthday!

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2007, 11:13:28 am »
Thank you, both of you.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2007, 02:46:43 pm »
I feel the same about birthdays. They're just a simple reminder of time and an excuse for me to eat heartily and be with friends. That is it. When I've turned the tables and am fully realizing my dreams, perhaps then I'll start to look forward to them again.

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2007, 03:13:48 pm »
Maybe you will. Maybe I will. Who knows, really? In any case, it's at least noteworthy in that one is a year older and such things ought to be recorded.

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2007, 03:34:36 pm »
Well, it's an excuse for celebration, eating, drinking, and all that. So enjoy, and have fun!

Happy birthday, Kyronea!

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2007, 10:35:39 pm »
Thank you, Pyt.

So I've opened my presents, in a sense. I have three:

1. A nice, quality diving watch, able to be submerged up to 100 metres. Diving watch because those kind of watches are much more resiliant than other watches, and I'm a lot less likely to lose it.

2. A bo staff, though I don't have it yet, as it is on its way. It's oaken, red--I think--72" with tapered ends. I intend to use it as part of my new exercise plan, which goes along with:

3. A six-month membership to the very nearby gym. I know I've spoken of this before but it's officially a birthday present.

So, three things, all useful, practical, and thus great gifts. Trust me, people, when choosing a gift for someone, make it practical. Don't waste your money on little knickknacks that might be looked at occasionally or used once then tossed in a drawer to gather dust. Practicality is the key.