Author Topic: A conversation with Melchior  (Read 1398 times)

Daggart

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
A conversation with Melchior
« on: September 11, 2004, 09:42:39 pm »
This is a conversation thats supposed to take place after the events of Chrono Cross, but during the timeline shortly following Chrono Trigger. It's for a fangame I'll hopefully be making if I can get a few more ideas solidified. I decided to post the conversation here to see if it conflicts with any of the ideas presented in the chrono universe. Comments are helpful. Thanks!

Melchior: As Lucca has already surmised, the natural course of our evolution was supplanted by Lavos millennia ago. Through his presence, he began the systematic restructuring of our genome, cultivating the traits he found desirable for feeding. Like the Reptites before us, as our brains developed we gained an affinity with the elements, allowing many of us to express magical talents. However, there was one major divergence between our development and that of the Reptites. Mother Earth.

Lucca: Mother Earth? You mean the Gaia theory, don’t you?

Melchior: That is correct. Our planet doesn’t simply sustain life. It is life. Our own bodies are made up of individual cells, consentient of themselves, but together, forming highly intelligent beings.

Lucca: But we aren’t cells. We have sentience.

Melchior: You misunderstand me. Gaia is made up of the plants and animals and insects of this world, to name a few. We are not her cells. We are her children.

Lucca: Her children?

Melchior: More accurately, her bastard children, born of her desecration by Lavos. That is our divergence from the Reptites. With their affinity toward the elements, they also gained an understanding of Gaia as a nurturing mother. They could literally FEEL her life within them. What Lavos did to us was develop our minds, while stunting the ability to feel Gaia that should have naturally sprung from that development. Like the children of an abusive father, we’ve followed Lavos’ example and treated the earth like a resource to be subjugated, used to exhaustion. Where Reptite technology worked in harmony with Gaia, ours attacks her, drilling, burning, polluting, until eventually if not for the spark of Gaia still within us, we would become our own Lavos.

Lucca: How awful!

Magus: But what’s this to do with the loss of our abilities?

Melchior: Patience Janus. Actually, this is at the heart of the matter. You see while man would have eventually evolved the same potential for magic we currently have today without Lavos’ interference, a part of his manipulation was to make himself the conduit of our power, feeding off of our own mental energies even as he fed directly off of the energies of Gaia while buried deep within the earth. With his destruction, our stunted minds are no more capable of reaching out to the elements than Ayla’s is.

Lucca: But Lavos hasn’t been destroyed yet. I mean, he will be, but we haven’t.. That hasn’t..

Melchior: Ah.. I can see there is still much to tell you..

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2004, 02:37:19 am »
I don't recall there being much Reptite technology pre-Cross's Reptite Dimension...I think that should be changed to something more like Pre-Mammon Zeal technology or something which Melchior would have more concrete evidence of...I mean, even Gasper always seemed kind of sketchy when it came down to the Prehistoric Era...

And as for the whole Magical, Elemental abilities and such...Ayla's Tail Spin, Kiss, and Charm Techs are are magical-like abilities, much like Crono's Slash Tech, Marle's Aura & Provoke, and Lucca's Flame Toss...There is a kind of magical ability outside of the influence of Lavos and the Elements of the earth. Unless you count those abilities as of being of the earth that is...Which I suppose you can, they are mostly chi-like in nature, I believe.

Symmetry

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2004, 05:21:14 pm »
An interesting little tidbit here. I know you're got your own goals and aspirations, but I think you'd be better off working on a fanfic instead of a fangame, especially in consideration of SE's latest crackdown on the resurrection project.

The only thing I would question is the disappearance of magic due to Lavos' destruction. Lavos enabled humanity to use magic, but magic seems to be a property natural to the CT/CC world. In my opinion, humanity should still have magical potential.

Daggart

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2004, 10:53:13 pm »
I don't recall there being much Reptite technology pre-Cross's Reptite Dimension...I think that should be changed to something more like Pre-Mammon Zeal technology or something which Melchior would have more concrete evidence of...I mean, even Gasper always seemed kind of sketchy when it came down to the Prehistoric Era...

This is pre- cross timeline, but the events of cross ahve already been set in motion, so El Nido exists. In my story, Melchior has some knowledge of the time crash incident.

The only thing I would question is the disappearance of magic due to Lavos' destruction. Lavos enabled humanity to use magic, but magic seems to be a property natural to the CT/CC world. In my opinion, humanity should still have magical potential.

My idea is that Lavos allowed them to use magic, but it was an unnatural version, filtered through Lavos. With lavos gone, anyone who had the inate ability to weild it has to relearn it. I can't really explain it very well, but its like their minds were pointed in a certain direction, and now they need to shift that focus toward the earth itself. Plus, its good gameplay mechanics. You dont want your characters to start off all powerful.

An interesting little tidbit here. I know you're got your own goals and aspirations, but I think you'd be better off working on a fanfic instead of a fangame, especially in consideration of SE's latest crackdown on the resurrection project.

My biggest problem with fanfiction is that, its very hard ti write a chronocentric fanciftion where the main character doesnt speak. Maybe there are some people that can do it, but I can't.. And making him speak always feels wrong to me. The only way I can retain him as a silent protagonist is to do a fan game.

I can only hope that the project would become good enough for them to shut down. :) As it is, they probably won't even notice.

Thanks for the comments. I'm going to make some revisions

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2004, 06:03:22 am »
Quote from: Daggart
In my story, Melchior has some knowledge of the time crash incident.

How? I suppose he could, since he is...presumably alive during the events (as long as Melchior+20 years=still alive holds true)...But how exactly do you go about him having such information?

Daggart

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2004, 01:07:50 am »
Daggart wrote:
In my story, Melchior has some knowledge of the time crash incident.  

V_Translanka wrote:
How? I suppose he could, since he is...presumably alive during the events (as long as Melchior+20 years=still alive holds true)...But how exactly do you go about him having such information?

Nono, I'm not saying he has knowledge of the current day events of chrono cross. Theres no reason for him to know Belthasars conviluted scheme. Rather, he has knowledge of the Time Crash as a historical happening (though he doesn't know everything about it). In the modified chronotrigger timeline, the Time Crash is 8000 years in the past. After arriving in 1000 AD, I assume Melchior would have done quite a bit of research to discover what happened to Zeal, and after. He also seems to do alot of traveling (he lives near the mystics, but he goes to Guardia for the fair). I'm placing him as one of the few people that has actually been to El Nido.