Author Topic: Maps/Areas (Discussion Thread)  (Read 22361 times)

Zakyrus

• Entity
  • Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • "Bouncy, bouncy, bouncy... --!!"
    • View Profile
Maps/Areas (Discussion Thread)
« on: March 08, 2007, 05:03:27 pm »
This thread is dedicated to new maps.

Here's the Zeal Library;

The upper left door goes to Schala's Room you get there by means of a secret passage. The upper right takes you to the Zeal Study. All of the books are readable, except 3 that are the Water, Air, Fire, Books ( I may add Shadow for the book puzzle). I also need to add a lot of NPCs that say things to the player. Obviously, I need to fill in some areas still but this map is almost complete.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 03:24:05 pm by Zakyrus »

Glennleo

• Chrono Trigger + Crew
  • Temporal Warrior (+900)
  • Glenn - The true Hero and weilder of the Masamune.
    • View Profile
Re: Maps/Areas
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2007, 05:30:41 pm »
Looks great!

You have to give me a quick lesson on how Temporal Flux works. Like how to make a new map, how to use palletes effectively, simple stuff like that. I have a few map designs in my head, but really have no clue on how to get them started lol.

Kyronea

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2007, 05:34:27 pm »
Very nice indeed. Don't worry, I'll keep working on those books and I'll get to the NPCs eventually once I get through the NPCs in all previous chapters of the game.

Will this library be accessble in some form after the destruction of Zeal?

Zakyrus

• Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2007, 05:43:22 pm »
Very nice indeed. Don't worry, I'll keep working on those books and I'll get to the NPCs eventually once I get through the NPCs in all previous chapters of the game.
Thanks.

Will this library be accessble in some form after the destruction of Zeal?

Actually, this will be during Zeal. (the door that takes you to that small hallway goes to the library instead) You have to solve a book puzzle to open a secret passage to get to Schala's Room. The door on the upper right will take you to the Zeal Palace Study. (instead of that little hallway taking you there)

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2007, 05:45:45 pm »
Yes, that much I understood. Allow me to rephrase: will it STILL be accessable in some form after the destruction of Zeal?

Zakyrus

• Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2007, 05:48:35 pm »
Yes, that much I understood. Allow me to rephrase: will it STILL be accessable in some form after the destruction of Zeal?

Yes.  :D

There will be a Sunken Zeal dungeon, but there will be parts that are dry and have air and the Library will be one of the dry areas.

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2007, 05:52:57 pm »
Okay. We'll just have to make sure that it gets destroyed somehow at some point well after 12,000 B.C. so we don't have a conflict with Chronopolis talking about how nothing remains to prove Zeal ever existed. Maybe a dialogue entry by a scholor in 600 or 1000 A.D. in Guardia Castle about how ruins were once rumoured to exist but were destroyed long ago by some natural disaster, say an earthquake buried them for good below the ocean floor or something where even our own technology couldn't find them.

Zakyrus

• Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2007, 05:54:38 pm »
Ok. What I would like to do is have a giant squid called Kraken sink the remains of Zeal under the Ocean. (where presumably they would be destroyed underwater afterwards)

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2007, 05:56:44 pm »
That works, so long as it happens, timeline wise, at some point after 12,000 B.C. and before 7600 B.C., so, somewhere around 10,000 B.C., maybe.

Zakyrus

• Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2007, 05:59:55 pm »
Looks great!

You have to give me a quick lesson on how Temporal Flux works. Like how to make a new map, how to use palletes effectively, simple stuff like that. I have a few map designs in my head, but really have no clue on how to get them started lol.

I am going to make a few mapping tutorials soon, after I make the beta test version.

Quote from: Kyronea
That works, so long as it happens, timeline wise, at some point after 12,000 B.C. and before 7600 B.C., so, somewhere around 10,000 B.C., maybe.

Excellent. If I can figure out how to do swimming with event coding then I can make it timed underwater to get to pockets of air. Then fight the Kraken underneath. ...and of course he'll be in a Zeal Treasure room.  :)

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2007, 06:02:50 pm »
Wait, wait, if we fight the Kraken then doesn't that make it impossible for it to sink? Unless it's another Kraken that sinks it 2000 years later...

Zakyrus

• Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2007, 06:08:19 pm »
Wait, wait, if we fight the Kraken then doesn't that make it impossible for it to sink? Unless it's another Kraken that sinks it 2000 years later...

That's the idea! Lot's of Krakens are at the bottom of the ocean.  :twisted:

Zakyrus

• Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2007, 12:05:51 am »
Truce Canyon Beta

As you can see I still need alot of work on 3 areas: the upper & lower right still look too much like the Denadoro, and the lower left still looks too much like the upper left. However, for now... this map is close to finished. My mapping style is to copy large chunks of maps and merge them together, then I modify them alot so they don't look the same. (If you take a REAL close look at the Zeal Library, you can see that it is actually Enhasa and Zeal Palace merged and modified.  This way, when I make a map they still retain the CT style of layout aswell as easy to do. ...the only tricky part is making them not look like I stole them from somewhere else.

Glennleo

• Chrono Trigger + Crew
  • Temporal Warrior (+900)
  • Glenn - The true Hero and weilder of the Masamune.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2007, 01:59:43 pm »
Truce Canyon looks great!

The Kraken dungeon idea, seems excellent as well.

To solve the sinking problem, just make it so when you defeat the final Kraken boss, make it go crazy destroying pillars/etc.. and the underwater dungeon becomes destroyed somehow, and you have to escape before it collapses around you.

Well that's my two cents. Keep up the great work guys!

Zakyrus

• Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2007, 11:12:16 pm »
Truce Canyon looks great!

The Kraken dungeon idea, seems excellent as well.

To solve the sinking problem, just make it so when you defeat the final Kraken boss, make it go crazy destroying pillars/etc.. and the underwater dungeon becomes destroyed somehow, and you have to escape before it collapses around you.

Well that's my two cents. Keep up the great work guys!

That's a great idea! I really like it, I'll wait for Kyronea's input.