Author Topic: Fantasia 2007, Spring's Gift, and Site Updates  (Read 5249 times)

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Fantasia 2007, Spring's Gift, and Site Updates
« on: February 26, 2007, 08:47:05 pm »
Eminence has released their official trailer for A Night in Fantasia 2007, touted as Australia's biggest video game music concert ever. In case you missed the last update, Yoko Shimomura, Hitoshi Sakimoto, Kow Otani, Junichi Nakatsuru, Masaru Shiina, and Yasunori Mitsuda will be attending. Dates are set for the 20th, 21st, and 27th of April in Sydney and Melbourne Australia. If you live in Australia, click here to find tickets. And now, I think I'll get to...

Announcing...the beginning of the Compendium's annual creative contests! Starting now, the Compendium will have four three-month contests year round. These include Spring's Gift (fan art), Summer's Cry (music), Autumn's Fate (ROM hacking), and Winter's Fragments (fan fiction). We start with Spring's Gift in March. Each contest will follow the same basic structure; unbiased judges not participating in the contest will be chosen, and fans will have three months to enter material. The entries must be created within one month of the beginning of a category so that you can't submit all your old work -- we're focused on creating something new. Once the jig is up, the judges will announce the winner(s), who will receive special forum titles for one year. These include Artist of Termina, Bard of Regiorra, Architect of Kajar, and Poet of Arni. We begin with Spring's Gift. Break out the art supplies and Tablets, and throw us a bone at the Contest Submissions forum.

Next, we have some good old site updates. The Chrono Compendium About Page and charter have been revised and fine tuned. Stop by if you want to learn about the site's organization and history. Next, the Fan Projects page (formerly neglected) has been brought completely up to date, and stands once more as the nexus of all Chrono series fan efforts. Reasons for the death of abandoned fan projects have also been added to their respective entries on the page. We now come to a couple general fixes; the 10th Birthday Page's Chrono Trigger Extra Tracks listing has been fixed (there was a layout issue previously). Also, bLiNd's rendition of Epoch ~ Wings That Cross Time has been fixed; before, the mp3 was incomplete and cut out around the 2 minute mark. Please click the link in the last sentence and overwrite your old version so that it is not proliferated. The Compendium forums have been updated to the latest SMF version to fix minor security issues. Finally, the structure of the forums has been revised so that Kajar Laboratories, Submissions, and Project Feedback forums are all displayed under one header.

Have fun working on fan art for the contest, and stay sharp. In the near future, Unofficial Chrono Trigger II plans to make an announcement and release preview screenshots. Also, with the help of Molotov I will be adding speed run pages under the Quick Reference encyclopedia section.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 01:27:15 am by ZeaLitY »

Kyronea

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
Re: Fantasia 2007, Spring's Gift, and Site Updates
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2007, 09:10:52 pm »
Neat stuff, Zeality. Nice to see the Fan Projects page updated especially, as I've been curious about all of the projects going on lately that weren't previously mentioned in it.

Also, I'm curious: do they intend on holding one of those Fantasia concerts in the United States at some point later in the year or so?

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2007, 09:29:28 pm »
Neat stuff, Zeality. Nice to see the Fan Projects page updated especially, as I've been curious about all of the projects going on lately that weren't previously mentioned in it.

Also, I'm curious: do they intend on holding one of those Fantasia concerts in the United States at some point later in the year or so?

I've heard something to that effect. Believe me, that would call for

COMPENDIUM ROAD TRIP TAILGATE EXTRAVAGANZA

How would YOU like to spend upwards of eighty hours on America's beautiful scenic highways packed in a car with our motormouth Compendiumites? Air freshener required!

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2007, 09:31:15 pm »

How would YOU like to spend upwards of eighty hours on America's beautiful scenic highways packed in a car with our motormouth Compendiumites? Air freshener required!
Sounds like fun to me. Maybe if we can stretch for an RV...but yes, sounds fun. Do you know where in the country it's likely to be held, other than the obvious choice of Los Angeles?

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2007, 09:36:47 pm »
Not at the moment. Its realization probably depends on how Fantasia fares. PLAY! got wind of it and is edging in on the Australian market, but I'm thinking Eminence will do well. The release of their Passion! recordings (featuring Mitsuda) will be an instant classic VGM doujin. Though Eminence is only a small cadre of musicians, this can work to their advantage considering a.) they still attract the big composers, minus Uematsu, and b.) they pay less salaries and overhead.

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2007, 09:42:09 pm »
Righto. We'll just have to hope it does well, then, because I'd love to go to one of these concerts, as I'm a big fan of Shimomura's music in addition to Mitsuda's music, and knowing me I'll probably like the other music just as much.

In the meantime, perhaps we should try to get as many Australians that have internet access aware of this concert so that we can influance the results for our benefit?

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2007, 09:51:05 pm »
The remixing communities are a good bet, but other than that, promotion could be done through fan sites. I sent out notices to several fan sites whose claimed games were to be played at Passion!, and I don't believe any of them posted updates. We are truly a renegade fan site, eh? To hell with all the Final Fantasy knockoffs.

But yes, I've always announced these at Thasauce.net. Someone might venture a post at VGMix.com's forums, and maybe OCR.

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2007, 10:02:35 pm »
I'll see what I can do to distribute news elsewhere as well. Hopefully we'll get the word out to as many as possible.

Glennleo

• Chrono Trigger + Crew
  • Temporal Warrior (+900)
  • Glenn - The true Hero and weilder of the Masamune.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2007, 10:27:38 pm »

COUNT ME IN!!!

Great update by the way. Looking forward to all the contests, and new fan projects!

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2007, 11:05:54 pm »
I am soooooo in for this trip. Finally, a chance to meet the people behind the screen names.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2007, 11:58:21 pm »

Well, I wasn't being serious...

Glennleo

• Chrono Trigger + Crew
  • Temporal Warrior (+900)
  • Glenn - The true Hero and weilder of the Masamune.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2007, 12:01:28 am »

Well, I knew that...

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2007, 12:02:20 am »

Boooo to you! You got the public's hopes up and you crushed them! I demand a change in leaders!

Viva la Revelucion!

jk, sorry. Learning about Revolutions in History.

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2007, 12:18:17 am »

....I knew that! I was just...playing along! Yeah, let's go with that.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2007, 11:12:52 am »

Well, I knew that...

Oh, I knew you knew, but...