Author Topic: Stuff you LOVE, baby  (Read 328507 times)

Mauron

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
Re: Stuff you LOVE, baby
« Reply #4110 on: August 21, 2020, 11:52:11 am »
I've had a thing for Aeris since sometime in the late 90s.

Worker 8 had a memorable introduction.

Mustadio: Give a better order!

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4111 on: August 21, 2020, 02:52:32 pm »
I've had a thing for Aeris since sometime in the late 90s.

True that. I always found Tifa enticing, but Aeris/Aerith was always more my speed. She's gentle, kind, and optimistic in spite of all life has thrown at her in the slums. She's no wide-eyed, naive princess, nor is she a damsel-in-distress. She keeps her chin up despite all that has happened to her and keeps marching to her own tune. Plus, the whole florist thing is just so damn charming. She is truly a gem amongst the slums of Midgar.

I haven't played FF7R, and I hear she has a little more umph (such as saying "shit" at some point). Not sure how she compares to her FF7 counterpart, but I imagine she isn't that far off.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #4112 on: August 21, 2020, 07:53:53 pm »
I'd say, I'll probably be a bit contrarian here and say I would prefer Tifa over Aerith. Though it's an interesting comparison to make nonetheless, considering how both are meant to be foils/opposites.

I haven't played FF7R, and I hear she has a little more umph (such as saying "shit" at some point). Not sure how she compares to her FF7 counterpart, but I imagine she isn't that far off.

You could say that she is returning to form. She was always meant to have that tough, spirited side that would show itself through that gentle outward appearance she has. The Compilation, however, mostly strayed from that, making her a straight play instead of a subversion. It was the same to some extent with Tifa as well, who in her case it was the opposite direction.

Mauron

• Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
« Reply #4113 on: August 21, 2020, 10:36:08 pm »
The worst we got in the original FF7 was "#@?!" or "This guy are sick" depending on your perspective.

AriTifa is a good option. Have I mentioned that the requisite 20 times yet?

VidKid369

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4114 on: August 21, 2020, 11:20:15 pm »
I've always liked Aeris more than Tifa. I just like that she knows a lot of healing magic and rods are pretty cool. I never really paid any attention to Tifa. It's been a long while since I played the original Final Fantasy VII though so I might've lost some touch. Aeris was always my favorite and I would even print out fanart of her and display it lol. Um. Out of all the females I'm partial to Yuffie though. I thought it was pretty cool how you first meet her and I liked what they were going for a thief-ninja(?) and I really liked how she uses a giant shuriken. Her whole greedy character-personality kinda reminds me of Lemina from LUNAR 2: Eternal Blue Complete, lol, haha. I just love money/materia-hungry characters like that.

I really need to play FFVII again before I play the FFVII: Remake and pay more attention to Tifa, though.

Haha, I loved Worker 8 and Mustadio! Out of everyone I thought Meliadoul was the most mysterious and has the most mystique. I was always pretty fond of both Rafa and Malak too also. Out of everyone my favorite was Reis though I don't know why I just like her!

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4115 on: December 16, 2020, 12:59:12 pm »
I have said it before, but I'll say it again... I fucking love Inuyasha. It's the right combination of early 2000s anime nostalgia (taking my back to a simpler time in my own life), medieval Japan folklore, cutesy-smutesy will-they-won't they teenage love/angst, and surreal end credits with hypnotic tunes.

I watched some of it when it first aired on Adult Swim back in the early 2000s, then did and end-to-end rewatch back in 2017-2018. It was in a time after my trip to Japan, and I admit it was somehow taking me back there. It was comfort food, warts and all. Not that it's a masterpiece by any stretch, but it's fulfilling and comforting.

When I finished Inuyasha during the summer of 2018, I was literally sad -- I felt a sense of loss. I haven't been able to throw myself into another anime series since then. In fact, I haven't had much interest in any television shows since then. A lot of life has happened, which plays a role, but it also is a little painful. It takes me back to a time when I was high on life from my time in Japan and was planning a way back.

That all being said...

The sequel to Inuyasha, Yashahime: Demon Princesses, has finally aired. And I'm digging it. And it's scratching that itch. This is something I LOVE, baby!

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #4116 on: December 16, 2020, 11:00:43 pm »
Wait, Inuyasha got a sequel!? :shock:

Gotta look that up right now!

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4117 on: December 17, 2020, 12:25:29 am »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yashahime:_Princess_Half-Demon

And let me tell you... Moraha, the daughter of Kagome and Inuyasha, is the best. She's a total ham and a scene-stealer.

I am 10 episodes deep and it feels right. I'm engaged by the story and the mysteries within.

Mauron

• Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
« Reply #4118 on: December 18, 2020, 04:33:39 am »
Moroha is undisputedly the best. Setsuna on the other hand, isn't even the best Setsuna of the season. I haven't heard any details, so I'm hoping this gets 11 cour from the start.

Most of the romances from the original remain baffling to me, but if I find out Rin is Towa and Setsuna's mom... I've got a few murderous anime girls to introduce to Sesshoumaru.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4119 on: December 18, 2020, 10:49:20 am »
Most of the romances from the original remain baffling to me, but if I find out Rin is Towa and Setsuna's mom... I've got a few murderous anime girls to introduce to Sesshoumaru.

I'm like 99% sure Rin is indeed their mom. Which is sort of yucky, considering he found her as a young child and raised her.

Mauron

• Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
« Reply #4120 on: December 30, 2020, 01:27:38 pm »
It's very yucky. I'm going to pretend that isn't the case until they confirm it.