Author Topic: Stuff you LOVE, baby  (Read 332405 times)

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Re: Stuff you LOVE, baby
« Reply #4035 on: June 30, 2018, 04:04:26 am »
Gonna be submitting a pitch for a comic-book to a publisher while they're still accepting. Let's hope it works out for me, because this is one helluva story.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4036 on: July 01, 2018, 02:27:10 am »
Good luck!

PrincessNadia78

• Chronicler of Time
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • I didn’t “pick up” anything! It’s common sense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4037 on: July 02, 2018, 01:15:59 pm »
Gonna be submitting a pitch for a comic-book to a publisher while they're still accepting. Let's hope it works out for me, because this is one helluva story.

Good luck! keep us posted! And if it does work out, please let us know, so we can see it!

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4038 on: July 09, 2018, 01:43:04 am »
I love that feeling of pride you have when you're really happy with the end product of something you create.

Not to toot my own horn, but I finished a writing project tonight that has been giving me hell for the past several years.

I have been writing screenplays off an on for the past decade or so, both to develop my craft and eventually build a portfolio. I've had a particularly troubling concept that takes place in medieval Japan, but certain story elements have evaded me and work on it has been touch and go for several years.

Anyway, I finally finished the first draft of part one tonight!

This is hugely monumental for me, not only in overcoming my own shortcomings and desire to give up, but it's also big because I am actually really proud of the quality of this story! Normally I sort of shrug and end up frustrated by the end result, as I feel it doesn't quite live up to the expectations I set up for it. This is partly the reason I so often put my writing on the back burner. Regardless, I spent a lot of time in planning out this story in advance and the end product will require very little in terms of rewrites (until notes start coming in, that is).

That being said, this is only part one of two, so it's time to start on the next portion. The cliffhanger ending was so climatic and exciting that I kept writing and got the intro to the second part already out of my system. I'm feeling so optimistic and excited about the project right now!

Woohoo!

I still need to work on the concept lore / Bible, which is just scattered notes right now, but that will come...

Then it will be portfolio ready.

I have one other story I need to get out of my system and then I feel like I can call my portfolio shipping ready. :)

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #4039 on: July 09, 2018, 04:40:17 am »
Nice. Total springtime of youth feeling there. I recently bought painting supplies to get back into it on my side. Every dream now has a due date.

PrincessNadia78

• Chronicler of Time
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • I didn’t “pick up” anything! It’s common sense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4040 on: July 09, 2018, 12:47:34 pm »
I am with you there Zeality! About 80% of my stuff is still up in Wisconsin but we think in the next few months we'll finally be able to get it all down here. I have a LOT of art supplies: oil paints and supplies, calligraphy supplies as well as Japanese calligraphy to name a few. I actually have the stuff to make my own ink! I actually want to have my own art business and sell works but I'm also teaching myself digital medium so I can get really good with that as well and do some logo design. I had a really awesome professor in college that was great with logo work! with everything I have it would cost too much to replace, so I can't really get started until I have it all down here. Although I am thinking about getting some acrylics so I can paint with something. They aren't nearly as expensive as oils! I know I will get where I want to go, it's just taking more time than I would like!

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile

CptOvaltine

• Synergist of Marbule
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4042 on: July 11, 2018, 04:55:20 pm »
Is this your first VOY run?!
Yep! We just started season 3.

My parents are both big fans of Star Trek, so we grew up watching random episodes appeared on TV. I remember most of it being TNG and ENT. In high school I started watching TOS as in aired on regular TV. I believe I caught most of it, or picked the rest off of Netflix. Years later, after we finished a similar one-episode-a-night family run of Farscape (the first in the tradition, I suppose), we picked a new sci-fi show to watch: DS9. And after that, TNG!

Not sure what we'll watch afterward, if anything, as I'm hoping I can find my own place in the near future.

I did a run through of Voyager years ago at a one per week pace, except some weeks when they skipped.
One per week? That must have taken years!

Ah, Voyager. I remember that the Sci-Fi channel would air both it and TNG practically all day every weekend. And occasionally the movies. Now it seems it rarely airs Star Trek.
I know there's some channel now that plays TOS, TNG, DS9, and VOY (maybe ENT too), back-to-back, every week night. I usually just tune in for the Xena reruns right beforehand.

Jumping in a little late, but I love Star Trek, especially TNG and Voyager. Though, I'll be the first to admit that Voyager has some pretty slow sections in the season 2-3 area.  All in all it was a fantastic show.  To bad Discovery was...eh. 

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4043 on: July 12, 2018, 02:50:11 am »
Jumping in a little late, but I love Star Trek, especially TNG and Voyager. Though, I'll be the first to admit that Voyager has some pretty slow sections in the season 2-3 area.  All in all it was a fantastic show.  To bad Discovery was...eh.

No Enterprise?!?!

In all seriousness, as much as I love all the Trek shows, I caught Enterprise for the first time (finally) about 3 or 4 years ago... and it became my favorite Trek series. The fourth season of Enterprise is hands down the best Trek to date, and really helps bridge the gap between early Enterprise and the universe as seen in TOS.

I like all the Trek series for various reasons, but I'd have to say, if I had to rank them, it's really tough, but...

My order:
ENT
DS9
TNG
VOY
TOS
DIS

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4044 on: July 12, 2018, 11:27:34 am »
Sonic the Hedgehog
Sonic has some amazing soundtracks. Sonic 2 is actually the first video game I remember playing, so I have great fondness for it. Of the whole series, I think Sonic CD and the Sonic OVA have the best music.

What I love best about the series is that there are so many fans who also love the soundtracks, and those fans make some incredible remixes. Check these out:

Under Construction, remix of Star Light Zone and Spring Yard Zone (Sonic 1). Real smooth.
Walk On Water, a remix of both Hydrocity zones (Sonic 3). Simple and faithful, but still great.
Lover's Reef, remix of Lava Reef (Sonic 3), featuring the one and only Jillian Aversa. Admittedly a little old.
Quadrant of Rock, remix of Quartz Quadrant US (Sonic CD). Gotta get down to that hip hop beat.
South Island, a kinda sorta remix of the original South Island (Sonic OVA). This tune always pumps me up.

Razig

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4045 on: July 13, 2018, 01:19:08 am »
The fourth season of Enterprise is hands down the best Trek to date, and really helps bridge the gap between early Enterprise and the universe as seen in TOS.

Amen. I never understood all the hate Enterprise got. I mean, the third season mostly sucked (I especially hated how badly the updated "peppy" version of the theme song clashed with the dark turn the story had taken) but people were hating on the show from the very beginning. I loved how it put the focus back on getting out and exploring the unknown instead of sitting around in one spot (DS9) or trying to get home (VOY).

I also can't understand how Voyager gets any love at all. I thought it was simply unwatchable.

My order:
  • TNG (Barely beats out ENT due to having more developed characters. Retained TOS's sense of wonder while also telling more mature, nuanced stories.)
  • ENT (Seasons 1, 2, and 4 brought Star Trek back in line with my expectations.)
  • TOS (The show could do anything it wanted and wasn't chained to its own canon.)
  • DS9 (Originally aired on a station my TV didn't pick up, and I've never gotten around to watching it. I've heard it's really good, but I can't fathom how a Star Trek where the ship is stationary is supposed to work.)
  • DIS (Hidden behind a paywall, so I haven't seen it yet. From what little I know about it, I don't think I'd like it very much.)
  • VOY (Utter garbage.)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 07:53:05 pm by Razig »

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #4046 on: July 13, 2018, 02:13:09 am »
Hmm, can't say I can make a list myself. Have only really seen TNG, VOY, and bits of TOS. Haven't really got the chance to watch the other series.

Personally, I don't mind that DS9 has most stuff take place in just one place. If anything, it was something new for ST to cover. More so once the Dominio War started. Then again, I know some people don't like that DS9 was about deconstructing the idea of Space Utopia or something like that...

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4047 on: July 13, 2018, 02:17:14 am »
ENT may have to be next on my watch list then.

I'm still only 3 seasons in to VOY, and aside from a couple of choice episodes, I think it's doing rather well. The characters are enjoyable, and the trek part is definitely there. I only just now, tonight, reached an episode where the Borg were introduced, however, and I'm still wondering when 7 of 9 shows up. With four seasons to go, a lot can change.

DS9 had some of my favorite characters with the best development I've seen in the franchise yet, so I hold that in high regard at least. Good god, there were so many Ferengi episodes though...

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4048 on: July 13, 2018, 01:09:49 pm »
DS9 had some of my favorite characters with the best development I've seen in the franchise yet, so I hold that in high regard at least. Good god, there were so many Ferengi episodes though...

DS9 feels so unlike the rest of Trek, but I do really enjoy it. It has the best B-characters of any series of all of Trek. For real, the non-main character of DS9 are friggin' stellar. Garek and the Cardassians, Rom/Nog and the other Ferengi (moooooogi and Brutt), the Dominion Weyoun clones, the Bajoran religious peeps, etc. In fact, I much prefer the B-characters to the main cast! I never loved many of the main characters; O'Brien, Dax, and Bashier were the only three I really loved.

ENT may have to be next on my watch list then.

Just go into it with an open mind. It got tons of hate when it aired; people were tired of the "same old Trek" and hated the prequel concept, but it turns SO MUCH around in a fun way.

The Vulcans you see in early Enterprise are vastly different from the ones you see in TOS and beyond, and at first it's striking. But by the end of the series it all makes perfect sense and ties together nicely. It made the Vulcans interesting to me.

Plus you have the Andorians, and one particular reoccurring Andorian captain is probably my favorite character of all of Trek. Long live Shran!

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4049 on: July 13, 2018, 01:54:24 pm »
Right?! The B-characters were the best. I also love the character pairings that really portray their development: Rom/Nog, O-Brien/Bashir, Bashir/Garak, Sisko/Dukat, etc. Dukat is also one of the most memorable villains I've seen in the franchise. We see him so close to making the right decisions many times that he could've been a hero, yet he's so flawed as a person that it leads him down a darker path. The episode with him and Sisko trapped on a planet together is chilling.