Author Topic: Stuff you LOVE, baby  (Read 328593 times)

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
Re: Stuff you LOVE, baby
« Reply #3855 on: September 07, 2012, 07:30:32 am »
The end of the world, too.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3856 on: September 08, 2012, 06:52:18 pm »
Quote from: Sajainta
The end of the world, too.
But The Hobbit comes out first, right? Or at least on the same day? That is a triumphant finish, I think. I hated, hated, hated Tolkien's kiddie-friendly volume compared to The Lord of the Rings, and yet I'm so freaking stoked for December 21 or whatever-it-is!

Peter Jackson, Fran Walsh, et al, are a triumph of humanity. Andy Circus' voice, too.

Oh man. Even though it totally does not need to be done by now, I...I'm going to embed it:

[youtube]nOGsB9dORBg[/youtube]

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #3857 on: September 08, 2012, 09:47:38 pm »
I'm pretty sure the whole End of the World businesses in regards to the Mayan Calendar has already been dis-proven.

Anyway, to post on-topic... I love my current semester. Only math-related subjects. This is gonna be one heck of a ride... :lol:

Sajainta

• View Profile
« Reply #3858 on: September 09, 2012, 05:09:18 am »
The trailer is fantastic, but am I the only one who was sensing some sexual tension between Gandalf and Galadriel?  Because if so...what and why.

Katie Skyye

• Poet of El Nido
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • And you'll never catch her...
    • View Profile
    • Katie Skyye's Deviantart
« Reply #3859 on: September 09, 2012, 03:10:45 pm »
The trailer is fantastic, but am I the only one who was sensing some sexual tension between Gandalf and Galadriel?  Because if so...what and why.

Actually judging by the trailer alone I feel like the movie should be named "Gandalf" instead of "The Hobbit," cause the trailer is pretty much focused on Gandalf...

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3860 on: September 09, 2012, 04:25:07 pm »
Well apparently  they're doing it as a trilogy and the source material is not just the Hobbit, but also other books and notes by Toklien. I always thought they should call the entire Tolkien film series Lord of the Rings. The other sources could have been subtitled. Oh wellsies.

Sajainta

• View Profile
« Reply #3861 on: September 10, 2012, 01:12:14 am »
I just hope I'm not too disappointed, although if it's half as good as the LotR films then I probably won't be.  Still, I'd imagine it'd be impossible to live up to LotR.

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3862 on: September 10, 2012, 05:31:04 am »
A normal dock looks much better in the twilight. In the daylight, it looks just boring, fish boats, giant yellow cranes, calm water that shines palely, buildings on another side of the bay, everything. But when the light is about to die, everything is so different. The sea seems unspeakable dark and deep that you can't tell if there is really anything but void beyond the dim lights from the boats. Under the purplish hue of the sky, the black figures of the cranes also look perfectly mysterious as if they are some sort of gargantuan creatures.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3863 on: September 10, 2012, 09:13:15 pm »
Gotta love the "golden hour"! It makes just about anything/everything magical. :)

Lennis

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3864 on: September 10, 2012, 11:18:29 pm »
Well apparently  they're doing it as a trilogy and the source material is not just the Hobbit, but also other books and notes by Toklien. I always thought they should call the entire Tolkien film series Lord of the Rings. The other sources could have been subtitled. Oh wellsies.

I've been looking forward to this as much as anyone, but when I heard they were increasing the scope of "Hobbit" from two films to three, I about fell out of my chair - in a good way.  There's a lot of things going on behind the scenes during Bilbo's journey that Tolkien only hints at in his original narrative.  It makes me wonder how much more of Middle-Earth lore will make it onto the big screen.  The Silmarillion is one of my all-time favorite novels.  Might we see nods toward that during the Hobbit films?

From the trailer, it seems that Peter Jackson is treating Hobbit like less of a "kid friendly" fable and more like the epic prologue to the very-much-darker Lord of the Rings.  I think that's the right approach.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3865 on: September 10, 2012, 11:46:45 pm »
Fair enough, it just seems like these films will be looser adaptations than the LotR trilogy, and I don't see the point in calling it just "The Hobbit" when it's not just The Hobbit (I am aware that each film does have its own subtitle). It could have been Lord of the Rings: The Hobbit, Lord of the Rings: The Silmarillion, etc.

Sajainta

• View Profile
« Reply #3866 on: September 17, 2012, 07:23:24 am »
Isn't the title of the second movie The Desolation of Smaug or something to that effect?  Way to give away a major plot point right in the title, goodness.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3867 on: September 17, 2012, 08:31:23 pm »
Isn't the title of the second movie The Desolation of Smaug or something to that effect?  Way to give away a major plot point right in the title, goodness.

No more than "Return of the King," I suppose. :)

Sajainta

• View Profile
« Reply #3868 on: September 18, 2012, 06:01:00 am »
No more than "Return of the King," I suppose. :)

Hah, good point!  And that was even the book title!

skylark

• Poet of El Nido
  • Black Wind Agent (+600)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3869 on: September 18, 2012, 01:13:01 pm »
Man, it is difficult to come up with original flavour text for items, armor, and spells in video games, much less non-static or entertaining ones.

I have to give major props to the translators and coders who take the time out to add just a bit more character to item descriptions. I salute you!