Author Topic: Stuff you LOVE, baby  (Read 332484 times)

Katie Skyye

• Poet of El Nido
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • And you'll never catch her...
    • View Profile
    • Katie Skyye's Deviantart
Re: Stuff you LOVE, baby
« Reply #3735 on: December 09, 2011, 08:58:18 pm »
@Syna, I think Katie was implying that the establishment of the proper rights of some should not infringe on the proper rights of others, regardless of the specifics of either group. Of course, if there are "improper rights," then those could be infringed upon, and the convenience of a group is utterly a non-factor.

That is precisely what I meant. Thanks, Thought. n_n'

@Katie, in turn, while freedom of thought is lovely, the problem comes in that thought often leads to action. Can people be "neutral" when their child is homosexual? I propose not, and so if this couple is not positive, then they are inherently negative. Consider what would happen if/when they are fostering a homosexual child. The child faces the injustices of the world, and then comes home. How will they react?! Will they give the child the strength to face and overcome those injustices (hence, a "positive" position towards homosexuality)? Will they try to get the child to not be gay (a negative position)? Remaining silent is not an option. Silence gives consent to the injustices. Will they tell the child that it is their responsibility to figure things out? That throws the child to the wild!

I guess you're right. :/ Though granted, I personally don't really believe that sexuality should even be a topic until the kid hits puberty! After all, lots of young kids tend to think that the opposite sex is kind of icky, to which the traditional response is, "Well, you might not think so when you're older." That's well and good for children who grow up to be straight, but...
Probably a better answer is, "Well, you might not think so when you're older--then again, maybe not! Just try to get along with them."
The only reason I say this, is because even though I identify as straight (I'm a girl, Red is a wonderful fantastic awesome sweet loveable loving amazing guy), at one point if a girl had honestly asked me out I most likely wouldn't have turned her down if I thought she was a good person (which is the same standard I'd hold guys to, after all). So I was slightly more straight than bi, in that I was attracted to guys but not opposed to girls.
It just means to me that sexuality is a more fluid thing than people realize--or want to realize. (I could have been a lesbian!) I really don't think parents should be pro-gay or pro-straight, and just encourage their child to develop in whatever way they like. That's a pipe dream, though...I realize that.

Oh, I actually have some stuff I love now--I figured out the perfect way to lay down large swaths of red without it looking completely shitty! Carmine red colored pencil, laid down on the page as thick as possible--with red ink painted over it looks BADASS.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3736 on: December 09, 2011, 09:07:57 pm »
One small note: a foster child could be a teenager. Indeed, to my understanding, there is a very significant teenage foster child population.

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #3737 on: December 10, 2011, 07:33:56 am »
The child faces the injustices of the world, and then comes home. How will they react?! Will they give the child the strength to face and overcome those injustices (hence, a "positive" position towards homosexuality)? Will they try to get the child to not be gay (a negative position)? Remaining silent is not an option. Silence gives consent to the injustices. Will they tell the child that it is their responsibility to figure things out? That throws the child to the wild!
I think there's something missing in that statement. I just can't put my finger on it...

I really don't think parents should be pro-gay or pro-straight, and just encourage their child to develop in whatever way they like. That's a pipe dream, though...I realize that.
I LOVE this statement!

Okay, psycho-analyses time: what triggers this injustice?

Okay, I'm not going to go through my thought dump (unless someone requests me to do so), because I believe I've already come to the conclusion long ago (and I discussed it here in the forums) so I'll give you folks the luxury of figuring out this time. Here's a hint, though: it's a social strategy that has worked to conform with the fundamental security and stability of any tribe. Yes, sometimes good things can turn bad, and vice versa.

Here's one thing I can follow up with, based on Katie's statement:
On 27 February 2007, in an interview with thelondonpaper, Wolf raised questions about his sexuality: "In the same way I don’t know if my sixth album is going to be a death-metal record or children's pop, I don’t know whether I’m destined to live my life with a horse, a woman or a man. It makes life easier."[13] In a 5 July 2007 interview with the Sydney Star Observer, he confirmed his sexuality: "My sexuality is kind of liberal. I fall in love with men and women. I guess you would call me bisexual. I like to have sex and fall in love—I don't like giving terminology for my sexuality." [14][15][16] Later, in 2009, Wolf told The Guardian that though in the past he has had relationships with women, he now identifies himself as gay. As an artist, Wolf reflects that he doesn't like to worry about whether he makes a record "too gay or too straight or too this or too that."[12]

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3738 on: December 10, 2011, 07:53:13 am »
Though granted, I personally don't really believe that sexuality should even be a topic until the kid hits puberty!

The problem with this line of thinking is that every non-straight person I know knew they weren't straight before puberty.  My brother, for example, never felt comfortable as a girl.  My one friend knew she liked girls as early as the age of four.  My former best friend had feelings toward one of his male friends that went beyond platonic as early as eight.  Of course, at that age children don't register it as "Oh, I want to be romantically involved with that person", but they know on some level that what they are feeling is more than friendship.  For example, when I was nine I had feelings toward one of my female classmates that I knew weren't friendship feelings.

So if sexuality isn't brought up until puberty, these children will grow up thinking that what they feel is wrong, or that there is something seriously wrong or freakish about them.  I feel that it's best to let your children know as early on as possible that it's okay and normal to have non-friendship feelings toward boys or girls, or both.  You don't have to bring sex into it, but children need to know that their feelings are okay and that there is nothing wrong with them.  Had sexuality been brought up to all of the people I mentioned above (myself included) before puberty, they could have been spared a lot of inner pain, turmoil, confusion, and even self-hatred.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 07:57:36 am by Sajainta »

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3739 on: December 10, 2011, 12:48:07 pm »
Good point, Saj. We often forget that sexuality and puberty aren't the same thing (although there are certainly collaborations between the two).

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3740 on: December 10, 2011, 03:44:27 pm »
The usually clear-skied desert clouded up this morning, causing me to miss a rare eclipse. However, the clouds are trying their best to make it up to me. It has been increasingly overcast all morning, and now as we get into the midafternoon the cloud bottoms are dropping and fog is setting in. At this point it's still thin enough that I can see it wafting over the valleys. It's beautiful. I cynically thought this morning that the clouds would break soon after sunrise and we'd get blue skies. Not today. The clouds are in it for the day today.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3741 on: December 10, 2011, 03:46:55 pm »
Related but a tangent: As a result of this weather we are also in the running for freezing drizzle, or, as the National Weather Service terms it, Fzg Dz.

That sounds like a Final Fantasy spell...

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #3742 on: December 11, 2011, 01:49:03 am »
So I met my childhood classmate, and arch-rival last night.

XD

Those were the good days. We always topped the classes back then, always struggling for the position of "number 1", although we never had any hatred for each other. Apparently, she still has all those photos preserved.

She is strong willed, and determined. She is capable of feats that most of us here can't. She is focused, and has that passion. My only woe is that she doesn't posses the inquisitiveness that I seek. She doesn't have the flare towards knowledge for the sake of knowledge, though she is incredibly competent.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 01:52:00 am by tushantin »

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3743 on: December 11, 2011, 11:48:01 am »
However, the chemistry of the mouthwash leaves a stark aftertaste that will alter the flavor of food and drink I consume afterward--especially things like citrus.

Related to that statement, I bring to your attention: Miracle Berries! The short is, eating this fruit will adjust how you taste things. Imagine drinking lemon-water and interpreting it as lemonade!

More generally, though, the field of molecular gastronomy. Applied science can be delicious!

Syna

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3744 on: December 11, 2011, 02:03:42 pm »
I agree with Saj. Sexuality is a murky thing, but if you're looking you can certainly find signs of it pre-pubescence.

And anyway, I do know that some people who had even more explicitly sexual feelings as children -- there are plenty of stories of kids fooling around with each other and that sort of thing. It can't really help matters if you just ignore that children have a sexuality.

(Katie, I'll get back to your post in a minute. I misread your first statement, and for that I apologize. But I do have a few more points to make.)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 05:09:44 pm by Syna »

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #3745 on: December 11, 2011, 05:18:35 pm »
I've experimented with miracle berries before. The starkest flavor difference was with some sour patch kids. In terms of flavor, it's like the sour powder wasn't present at all.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #3746 on: December 13, 2011, 01:58:49 pm »
I DID IT! OH JOLLY TREE!

I finished a month's worth of eProject in mere 13 days! CD's burned, documentations done and printed, envelope ready. TAKE THAT, ruthless and unscheduled education! I finally have a Christmas! :D I'm finally free!

...And don't they dare decide on any last minute changes. If they do, I'll... I will... I SWEAR I WILL...

...... cry.

*ahem*

To celebrate my victory and freedom, I FORWARD YOU (from yourgingerestfan) SOME MUSIC!

[youtube]Mco0S6-CYjo[/youtube]
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 02:11:47 pm by tushantin »

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3747 on: December 14, 2011, 02:29:23 pm »
Well of course I love good weather. It has been cloudy and foggy and even raining for four days, only finally breaking today. What a glorious stretch!

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #3748 on: December 19, 2011, 05:32:20 am »
Social Reformers are on the rise. The corrupt are being apprehended. Injustices are being brought to light.

The nation is awakening.

Oh, happy day!  :)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 05:34:35 am by tushantin »

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3749 on: December 21, 2011, 09:55:54 pm »
Happy Winter Solstice, everyone!