Author Topic: Stuff you LOVE, baby  (Read 332472 times)

Katie Skyye

• Poet of El Nido
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • And you'll never catch her...
    • View Profile
    • Katie Skyye's Deviantart
Re: Stuff you LOVE, baby
« Reply #3645 on: November 14, 2011, 12:15:03 pm »
You watch them too? Haha, I also love them, he's so funny. :lol:

Hm, I've forgotten, how did he pronounced Schala again...?

"Skah-la."  ><
Eh? I always called her "Shah-La". o_O"

Same... >_>

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #3646 on: November 14, 2011, 12:49:58 pm »
Well, I've always pronounced it Skah-la. Even before seeing that video... :roll:

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3647 on: November 14, 2011, 01:52:26 pm »
Skah-la, eh? I wonder if that means she's a mistborn.

rushingwind

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3648 on: November 14, 2011, 06:17:01 pm »
Well, I've always pronounced it Skah-la. Even before seeing that video... :roll:

Same here. I always thought the "Sch-" in her name would be equivalent to the same sound you hear in "school" or "scholarly." Therefore, I always pronounced Schala to sound like Skah-la.

I've had this debate with way too many Compendiumites in the last year. I'm not going in for another round now, haha.

Katie Skyye

• Poet of El Nido
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • And you'll never catch her...
    • View Profile
    • Katie Skyye's Deviantart
« Reply #3649 on: November 14, 2011, 06:58:13 pm »
Having been raised by a family that speaks fluent German, I'm used to the Sch making a Sh sound in most cases (for example, the German word for school is Schule: shoo-le).
So I would naturally pronounce it Shah-la. And to be honest, no one can tell how you pronounce it in text, so I generally don't worry about it.

In the Japanese version, wasn't she Sara?

skylark

• Poet of El Nido
  • Black Wind Agent (+600)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3650 on: November 14, 2011, 09:38:04 pm »
And once again, Skylark has derailed yet another topic.

What is that, now? 3/3? :P

Edit: Anyway, going through his Radiant Historia play inspired me to get the game myself a few days ago.

Worth it. Thanks, Bailly. 8)

So, what's your favorite of his LP's so far? Mine has to be Seiken Densetsu 3. I love the interactions with his brother.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 09:44:17 pm by skylark »

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #3651 on: November 15, 2011, 12:53:54 am »
I'm probably mentioning this a little late, but go watch Tintin now! It's like freakin' Doctor Who meets Indiana Jones. And if you want aesthetic visuals, this is it!

Loved the jazzy opening! Spielberg's been faithful to the aesthetic feel of Herge's original comics, but he certainly did take incredible 'liberties' alright. For one thing, despite it being called 'Secret of the Unicorn', some Calculus fans out there will be disappointed that Prof. Calculus doesn't turn up (he'll probably appear in the second -- 'Prisoners of the Sun'). The characters were almost identical to their comic counterparts, and Captain Haddock still reminds me of my lovable and drunk Godfather. But as far as liberty goes, while the story is almost predictable it's still incredibly distorted (apparently the Bird Brothers weren't cool enough to be the villains, so they made... well, spoilers). Allan is no longer an Opium smuggler, but still is the right hand of a sinister mastermind.

And the chase scenes! Did I mention the chase scenes?!  :shock: No cuts, no illusions. It gives you the ride of a lifetime when watched in 3D!

I always liked the French journalist Tintin. Much like Doctor Who, he doesn't have a personal motive to investigate strange happenings and pull a Sherlock. But, also like Doctor Who, he often doesn't know what he's getting himself in. He's just one guy, looking for truth, looking for answers, and it's incredible how many times he's faced death -- so many that his survival are attributed to either thinking on his feet or sheer luck -- simply because truth has a price no sane person will ever pay. And yet there he is, defying death because fuck you, mystery!

Ah, did I tell you about mystery? One thing I liked the old Tintin cartoons for was because it retained the mystery that incites adventures. But unfortunately, Spielberg's fast-paced action movie completely eradicates that feel. But I dare say, I like Spielberg's version of Red Rackham more than Herge's. When you see the mid-sea battle between Red Rackham and Sir Francis Haddock, you'll see what I mean.

As a closing note: Other detectives just have cases, but Tintin has Adventures!

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3652 on: November 15, 2011, 12:15:19 pm »
Life.

I love life.

I don’t typically think of my life as all that exciting in the dramatic sense. This isn’t because I consider my life dull, so much as that I have much higher expectations of the kinds of adventures I would like to be having. However, when I do stop and think about it, I’d have to say my life is pretty decent on the “exciting” scale, even if it’s not the stuff of epic movies.

For example, I’m living at one of the world’s premiere astronomical observatories now. I don’t consider this “epic movie” drama, because I don’t work here and am not a daily part of its functioning. But, when splashed onto my character dossier, it makes for quite the juicy morsel.

And my life has been full of those. Just to name a few, I have biked in the Sierra Nevadas, been in love (requited and unrequited), worked for two major newspapers (one of which was admittedly a university paper, but with some of the biggest circulation numbers in Seattle), taught Sunday school’s senior class, hiked all over the West Coast (not least among the Sequoia trees and the Joshua trees), gone backpacking for a year, composed music for symphony orchestra, traveled to visit friends in another country, written and directed two plays, saved more than one person’s life through my direct involvement, lived in an apartment with one of the best views in Seattle, met Wil Wheaton, made friends from five continents (and nearly missed six, by not getting to know a potential romantic interest from South America), built a computer, owned a car, piloted a boat, learned archery, eaten Jewish bagels in New York and Los Angeles, had coffee with a lifelong seamate and corporate VP from Ballard (which non-Seattleites may not readily appreciate as dramatic, but Ballard fishermates are iconic), had dinner with a Chinese real estate magnate in the very mall he owned, witnessed my country attacked and shove off for war, had sex with deep friends and total strangers alike, driven hundreds of miles to play chess with a friend I hadn’t seen in years, made paper from scratch, independently arrived at dozens of the discoveries of major historical philosophers, gone to jail, lived up to the expectations of a mentor, programmed a computer game (more than one, if you count the uncompleted ones!), made conversation with strangers on the train, experienced an adrenaline rush of super-strength (throwing a dresser when it fell on my dad), attended what was essentially the first video game music concert in North America and sat in the same auditorium as many of the key figures behind Final Fantasy (including Nobuo!), and of course gone on a great personal odyssey with my novel.

Honestly, however, I feel that, when you get into the nitty-gritty, most of these adventures are not so dramatically exciting as they might seem when presented in summary format like this. In one sense, this is all just a tribute to how long a year really is, and I’ve lived through 29 of them now. In another, I’m an intelligent American living in the modern day—such people have adventures.

But, even if they don’t feel as epic to me as they might sound if mentioned in passing, I have to admit, even just looking at this spontaneous and succinct list, that my life has been an exciting one so far. Perhaps I need to revisit my understanding of excitement.

Perhaps the dream is always an unreachable ideal. The real thing of life has been very kind to me so far. I appreciate that...even if I don't feel like The Most Interesting Mate in the World.

(I removed one last paragraph here at the end, but you can find it elsewhere if you're the sort of person who cares. I mention it only because it causes this little rant to end on a completely different note. In short: The dream is nice too!)

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #3653 on: November 15, 2011, 03:40:54 pm »
I don't know why, but no matter where I look or how far I search, I always seem to come back to Secret Garden. Why? Are these really the soundtracks of my life?

[youtube]6o61_RjIeqQ[/youtube]
[youtube]CAXzFOqIvDc[/youtube]
[youtube]zBvhG9bATCA[/youtube]
[youtube]un8htInG3Kw[/youtube]
[youtube]5FJf6kzlOP4[/youtube]

Has someone come across similar music?

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #3654 on: November 16, 2011, 01:18:16 pm »
I was at the concert, too. As well as the follow up the next year.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3655 on: November 16, 2011, 08:48:53 pm »
It's always fascinating to look back and realize you've been in the same space with people you won't personally meet until much later. It was like that with my first girlfriend. My dad was visiting Seattle around the holidays, so I took him to see the Seattle Symphony perform Beethoven's Ninth Symphony, and, unbeknownst to me at the time, my girlfriend-to-be was singing in the choir that night. I met her two weeks later, through Craigslist and having nothing to do with the symphony. We are still friends today!

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #3656 on: November 17, 2011, 01:14:19 pm »
I've also been to a number of concerts I've been to with future-people. They seem like the place to pre-meet people.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #3657 on: November 17, 2011, 01:33:25 pm »
I was at the concert, too. As well as the follow up the next year.
Man, you're lucky. Wish I could go to concerts that aren't rock/pop music -- personally, I'd love to hear Abigail Burrows in full glory.

rushingwind

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3658 on: November 18, 2011, 01:26:00 am »
I love unexpected meetings with old friends, and the new opportunities that arise. :)

It is absolutely astonishing that as my long-time depression has lifted, my life has been filled with amazing things and outstanding people. My life is so different. I have become a completely different person, even from who I was in July! I love my life so much right now.

I wish I could share this calmness and happiness with all of you Compendiumites! *hugs everyone*

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #3659 on: November 18, 2011, 01:52:16 am »
Great to know you've been fantastic! *hugs back*

Never forget that sunshine smile. That smile of yours can make someone else smile. And they in turn make someone else smile. The damn thing's contagious.  8)