Author Topic: Stuff you LOVE, baby  (Read 333117 times)

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Re: Stuff you LOVE, baby
« Reply #3390 on: August 01, 2011, 07:30:38 am »
Goddammit! Everytime I hear Kugutsuuta Ura Mite Chiru / Song of the Marionette I keep imagining the EPIC battle between the Rabbit-King and General Dal-Hun (Dalton's grandfather, and the creator of Golem Magic) from Atash Kedah. Reason? The former is relentless, but the latter just can't die, and Phoebe just doesn't know who to side with (the former being her lover, the latter her mentor).

But holding the Lance our hero steps forward, knowing that what awaits in the valley is his demise.

For anybody curious, here's the music:
[youtube]SeWnvEwDBSY[/youtube]

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #3391 on: August 02, 2011, 06:00:09 pm »
Just watched the Secret of Kells. Goddamn, I loved it! I tell ya, the Christian-Pagan combo was amazing! :D

....Now the artist inside me craves to have a copy of the Book of Kells. I want to learn from it. I want to treasure it. I want to devour it!

And some day I shall write my own illuminated manuscript, the Book of Tushantin (okay, that's a horrible name), with all the dragons and cyborg warriors and solar-powered unicorns and stuff.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3392 on: August 02, 2011, 11:36:09 pm »
Alas, unlike some books (such as the Guttenberg bible), there doesn't seem to be an online scan of the book. However, it seems that you can view a number of its images here: http://www.sacred-texts.com/neu/celt/bok/index.htm

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #3393 on: August 03, 2011, 07:12:30 am »
Alas, unlike some books (such as the Guttenberg bible), there doesn't seem to be an online scan of the book. However, it seems that you can view a number of its images here: http://www.sacred-texts.com/neu/celt/bok/index.htm
Thanks! :D I friggin love the illustrations there! I wonder, with traditional methods, how much time the illuminators/monks must have taken to finish one page.

Syna

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3394 on: August 03, 2011, 10:27:44 pm »
There is actually a strong tradition of personal illuminated manuscripts!

It is expensive as hell, but if you can, you should look at The Red Book by Carl Jung -- in addition to his other accomplishments, he was, it seems, a phenomenal illustrator. And then of course there's the work of William Blake.

It's a goal of mine to make one too someday. If I ever uncover some latent talent at illustration o_o (I'm a pretty decent drawer, but it's never been something I've been able to focus on developing. If nothing else I think I could become good at the kind of stark, colorful images that Jung created.)

A sample:

« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 10:31:10 pm by Syna »

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #3395 on: August 04, 2011, 07:04:27 pm »
It's a goal of mine to make one too someday. If I ever uncover some latent talent at illustration o_o (I'm a pretty decent drawer, but it's never been something I've been able to focus on developing. If nothing else I think I could become good at the kind of stark, colorful images that Jung created.)
DO IT!!  :D Art doesn't deserve to be kept behind locked doors/minds! Art wants liberty!

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll take a look at this Red Book.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #3396 on: August 05, 2011, 09:47:48 pm »

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3397 on: August 07, 2011, 09:50:20 pm »
I love Seattle.

Bard_of_Time

• Guardian (+100)
  • Music changes history, you know.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3398 on: August 07, 2011, 10:02:11 pm »
I love cooking! ... when it all goes according to plan. When it doesn't, I end up with a mix of something too dry and gooey to be edible.

skylark

• Poet of El Nido
  • Black Wind Agent (+600)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3399 on: August 07, 2011, 11:10:59 pm »
I love Seattle.

Yep. Seattle's great. Whenever I go there, it makes me forget that Lakewood's technically in the sticks in comparison.

*remembers he still lives in Lakewood*

*cries in a corner*

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #3400 on: August 08, 2011, 05:04:41 pm »
I... can't... wait!!! :D

:( I wish I had a bank account (with cash) connected to online transactions, just to support these guys.

Also, independent game developers earn millions! However, the most generous donors seem to be Linux users, shelling out more than Windows or Mac users (yeah, buy stuff but pay whatever amount you like).

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #3401 on: August 10, 2011, 04:12:45 pm »
Raksha Bandhan is in two days from now. There's something satisfying about your sister tying the sacred thread around your wrist and praying for your well being, and in return you take a vow to protect her for life. Somehow only Indians seem to develop that complex, explainable feeling and... it feels good. Yes, I will be there for her. Yes, I will support her. Yes, I will lay my life to protect her from all odds.

I don't have a blood sister, but I do have one of bond: a cousin, living at the opposite corner of the country, never forgets to send me and my bro those Rakhi every year with a lovely letter. And I proudly wear it.

Of course, I also have some other cousins from my father's side (living in the same city as I) who pretend to care about us and march into our house at Raksha Bandhan. That's when I run away!  :o

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3402 on: August 10, 2011, 05:33:08 pm »
Fascinating ritual tushantin, thanks for sharing!

I just hope there's some day on the calendar where the sisters say they'll protect the brothers.  :wink:  Nothin' scarier in the schoolyard than the big sis coming in to lay the smackdown.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 06:02:39 pm by FaustWolf »

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #3403 on: August 10, 2011, 06:14:55 pm »
I'm having a huge blast with stoicism. I should have expected it, as Cato Uticensis is my #1 hero in history. It's so fun how stoicism promises nothing for adherence to its philosophy but adherence; if you devote yourself to virtue, you'll merely be virtuous, and nothing more. It's so realist and almost absurdist in how it contrasts the meaninglessness of the universe and human frailty with the ability of one to control oneself and be unaffected by externals, except through choice. It's not being emotionless; quite the contrary, and it's sad that "stoicism" is thought of as being cold in this day and age. Rather, it would not be noble to bear adversity if we were not still susceptible to being affected by it. Accept fate, and you may thereby cheat it.

I just dislike the "everything happens for a reason" vibe to it, along with assertions of a divine creator. In this age, we know better than to ascribe random chance to divine workings or justice. But it seems to pop up as a central Stoic theme, just like "you weren't made to carry any burdens that God did not give you the ability to carry" bullshit. Ah well; can't win them all.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 06:26:08 pm by ZeaLitY »

Shee

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
  • Sheeeeeeit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3404 on: August 11, 2011, 03:13:22 pm »
Waiting to see if I get some callbacks.

Audition for Body Of proof tomorrow (sheeeeeeeit)

Sick as a dog (of course.........)

By the time this week ends Ivan Drago will be calling me a piece of iron.