Author Topic: Stuff you LOVE, baby  (Read 331574 times)

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Re: Stuff you LOVE, baby
« Reply #2610 on: May 26, 2010, 11:00:13 am »
Hahaha if Abe is a hot blooded kickass hero, then we do need some "cool dudes" around.

http://tcritic.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/gandhi_wht_il_443.jpg

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2611 on: May 26, 2010, 11:06:16 am »

Truthordeal

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Dunno what's supposed to go here. Oh now I see.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #2612 on: May 26, 2010, 11:09:12 am »

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2613 on: May 26, 2010, 11:12:54 am »
Don't worry, it's medium rare.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #2614 on: May 27, 2010, 04:11:40 am »
Ancestry.com is addictive. It seems my mom's patrilineal ancestor is from Manchester and was an British army captain. My patrilineal ancestor is merely from "England", suggesting there is work yet to be done. There's been a Confederate soldier on my mom's side, which is always interesting. His ancestor may have fought for the union in the Revolutionary War, and he may have been undoing this achievement with rebellion!

Manchester, Christ. Good thing Captain John got out before it became the industrial armpit of England!

Temporal Knight

• Springtime of Youth
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • Roar through the flames of time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2615 on: May 27, 2010, 03:03:41 pm »
GRADUATION! GOING OUT TO BURN FOREVER IN THE THING WE CALL LIFE! I LOVE IT!

:franky :franky :franky

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2616 on: May 27, 2010, 04:25:16 pm »
I got all As and one B+ this semester.  Considering all that's happened within the past 6 months, this is pretty remarkable.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2617 on: May 27, 2010, 05:31:41 pm »
I got all As and one B+ this semester.  Considering all that's happened within the past 6 months, this is pretty remarkable.

Congraji, Saji!

That reminds me of something I love: the F-minus. If you've gotten an F, you've already failed. The minus is just rubbing it in.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2618 on: May 29, 2010, 05:07:49 am »
I finally found it! The Red Alert cue from Star Trek: The Motion Picture.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFTzZH3djws

I'd been looking for this for years. It's very rare music. And this cue includes my favorite moment in the film, the segment from 2'01" to 2'15", when the Enterprise approaches the cloud on full power. It's my personal symbol of the excellence of optimistic sentient power. Seriously, that image in seared into my consciousness as an intimate emblem of what human beings can really do.

I could try and explain what's so significant about it. Have you ever thought about where the electricity comes from on a boat, or car, or airplane? There's no proverbial wall outlet to plug into. All electrical power is internally generated. Where? In the engines! A vehicle, unless it is connected to an external power source like an electrified rail, is nothing without its engine.

So it is with a starship. A starship generates its power internally, in the warp core, where matter and antimatter collide in spectacular fashion. Under normal operation, the resulting power (called "main power" or "warp power") is applied to the ship's systems, including the warp engines--which are not true "engines" but more properly "motors" (with some allowance made for the fact that starships distribute power through "electro-plasma" rather than electricity). "Warp engine" is thus a misnomer; the real engine is the warp core.

But! It's all a part of the so-called "warp drive." The reason a vehicle is nothing without its engine is that that engine will be used for propulsion: a vehicle is nothing without propulsion. Warp drive is the key mode of propulsion in the Star Trek universe. Whereas the other propulsion systems are more like "position changers," the warp drive is an honest-to-goodness "paradigm shifter," and is the central plot device of the Star Trek universe.

In the first six Star Trek movies, the ones featuring history's most beautiful Enterprise, the inside (but not the outside) of the Enterprise's warp nacelles light up in a brilliant blue when the warp drive is engaged. Subsequent Star Trek films forgot about this detail, and only showed the nacelles lighting up when the Enterprise was at warp, but The Motion Picture tried to be technically accurate, correctly showing the nacelles lighting up whenever the warp drive was engaged, even if the ship wasn't actually traveling at warp speed at the time. The distinction to take to heart is given in the contrast of the phrases "on warp power" versus "at warp speed." The latter is something a starship does, but the former is something a starship is. And, by the nature of starships, and vehicles generally, this isn't just a secondary trait. A starship on warp power is a starship fulfilling its destiny. In the scene when the Enterprise approaches the cloud, it does so with the warp nacelles fully lit up--and the music swelling to cosmic emotional height.

http://drexfiles.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/uss-enterprise-star-trek-the-motion-picture-directors-cut-4.jpg

Notice that the impulse engines are dark in that picture: unneeded, as surely as a bird needs no feet in flight.

The cloud, meanwhile, is an enormous threat to the Federation and to humanity in particular. Wider in diameter than the Earth's own orbit around the sun, generating more power than the sun, and having utterly destroyed every ship and station that crossed its path--a path pointing straight for Earth--the Enterprise is sent against all odds to intercept and investigate the intruder. The entity at the heart of the cloud would later turn out to be humanity's own handiwork (thus the course for Earth), but at this point in the film it is all a total unknown. Nobody knows what lies inside the cloud. It isn't a villain. There does turn out to be a conscious entity inside, but it bears no enmity. Thus the cloud does not represent evil. It represents, instead, the very two things for which Starfleet exists, and to which humanity is inherently driven: adversity, and the unknown.

So perhaps you can imagine why it is so beautiful to me, that one moment in the film, a rare glimpse of the Enterprise glowing in the darkness of space by the brilliance of its own power, power set against the utter immensity of the vastly more powerful and perfectly ordered cloud, an enlightened ship of enlightened people moving forward toward the unknown, toward adversity, people who mean to explore and learn and thereby dominate their own destiny, shaping the future to their will on behalf of all humanity. To even be allowed to approach the cloud is an immense honor, the privilege of a cunning and creative people who time and again survived the threat of extinction by their own hands. That warp drive didn't invent itself; people made it. The warp drive is herein a metaphor for self-determination and the civilization which makes self-determination truly possible. Of all the things we humans might spend our time doing, Star Trek says that we spend some of that time building the instruments of our lasting and fulfilling future.

The Enterprise spends much of the film with its warp drive disengaged, and subsequent films don't show the nacelles glowing when the ship isn't at warp, so the rarity of this moment, and its contrastiveness, intensifies its significance to me.

But if that was all a bit much for you to appreciate, here is the simple crux of it, removed from the Star Trek imagery: It is beautiful to have internal power, and to shine out from within amid an obscure and adversarial world. That's why this image is so significant to me, and the inspiration for my personal philosophical sigil, the Inner Awe, a thought so lofty that even the Kingdom of Zeal would have had to look up to it.

rushingwind

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2619 on: May 29, 2010, 05:48:58 am »
This song has the power to overwhelm me occasionally. It's so beautiful. I'll forget about the song and move on with my life, and I'll stumble upon it every once in a while:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QGKlZLgz3w

It is a haunting melody, and so very mournful. An instrumental Appalachian lament, performed best with a violin and piano. There was an exceptional version of it on Youtube some months ago, but it's gone now. This one is almost as good (the violin is certainly superior).

The very first time I ever heard it, it was in a documentary about the Civil War, and there was a voice-over of a letter by a Union solider named Sullivan Ballou. It's the most haunting and beautiful letter I've ever heard (if you can forgive the religious overtones, which due to the depth of emotion in the letter, and considering the focus is on love, I certainly can). Here's the audio of the song and letter together:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSprdaGol34

It is a great tragedy that Sarah never received this letter.

rushingwind

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2620 on: May 29, 2010, 05:33:40 pm »
Being consistently nice to people has its advantages. I hesitate to call it karma, but.... it's damn close. You see, I'd asked some friends for a helping hand with a money situation on Thursday night, and none of them had the ability to help out. What I didn't realize, however, that it was apparently such a rare occasion for me to ask for help that they'd began talking to each other about it in concern, and then they joined together afterwards and mobilized to try and find the help I needed... all without telling me!

I asked one woman about it, and she said, "RW, you've helped me out in the past, and you've never asked for anything in return. And you've always been so kind to all of us. So now it's time for payback! We will find that help somewhere!"

♥♥♥♥

I don't know if anything will come of it, not on this holiday weekend, and not with the economic situation in this area, but I was so moved I cried (and I rarely cry). I never realized, not even once, that I'd had such an effect on the people around me. I guess we never know how important we are to some people.

So here's a toast to good friends, new and old!
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 05:35:16 pm by rushingwind »

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2621 on: May 29, 2010, 06:05:42 pm »
Hear hear to that, Rushingwind! I am only sorry that you used up some of that carefully cultivated goodwill on anyone other than yourself. But it is a very moving thing for you to do.

Now to harp once again upon something else I love: awareness. And on a subject I am passionate about: fat acceptance.

Fat-bashing is not about human health or economic costs or environmental burdens. There's very little truth in those criticisms, but even if they were completely true they would still be red herrings, because the only reason fat-bashers talk about this stuff is so that their attacks can have the semblance of credibility. The diversion into these topics are attempts by concern trolls to justify their bigotry.

In popular parlance, it's called "concern trolling." Fat-bashers aren't concerned about us. They hate us. They want to see us suffer and be humiliated. Who knows why? Human nature is like that sometimes.

Whenever a bigot diverts the conversation into these areas, the correct strategy as I see it is to underline their bigotry. I've argued in the past till I was blue in the face on the actual merits of the claims that being fat is physically unhealthy, a drain on the economy, and environmentally burdensome. Bigots are not interested in reason or facts. They are interested in perpetuating their hatred, humiliating their victims, and being validated by society. Anyone who is an advocate for fat acceptance, and even those of you who don't care about fat acceptance but just don't like to see the cruelty that fat-bashers are  capable of doling out, should never let the bigots define the terms of debate. If you ever engage them in debate, remember to make it clear to everyone that the real issue is not what the bigot wants to talk about, but the bigotry underpinning their motivation.

There was a time when men were concerned that giving women the vote would undermine male authority. There was a time when slaveowners were concerned that emancipation would drive them into financial ruin. There was a time when Christians were concerned that tolerating nonbelievers would destroy the moral foundations of society. All of these criticisms against progress were seemingly legitimate in their day, at least from the viewpoint of the people making the criticisms, yet history has given us the impartiality to see these sentiments for what they really are: tribalistic, malicious, petty-minded bigotry. Hatred for one's fellow human. Fear of losing power or status.

So it is today. When a fat-basher says that being fat is going to cost them money, what they're really doing is falling  victim to age-old human prejudice. It is the plight of the weakminded. The specific idea (that being fat is unhealthy, or bad for the environment, or whatever) is only a vessel for a bigot to justify their underlying resentment at fat people in terms that are socially acceptable. I have no doubt that, once a bigot buys into an argument, they do so sincerely. In other words, I have no doubt that every bigot who argues that being fat is unhealthy, genuinely believes that this is true. But that's beside the point. Whatever justification they may try to make, at the bigot's heart there is always something much more primitive: hate for hate's sake.

What an interesting contradiction in the human psyche, that even the most decent people can be such monsters wherever their minds are polluted by bigotry. In the South, white Christian conservatives can be so kind to one another--such hospitality, friendship, and genuine happiness. These qualities are not a lie. Yet, when blacks or Jews or atheists show up, it's as if the friendly Southern culture has been replaced by an evil twin double. That is the power of bigotry. It overrides a person's judgment and decency, sometimes completely. Fat-bashers might believe themselves to be perfectly decent and lovely people, and maybe they even are decent and lovely...<i>except</i> when it comes to their attitude on fat people. How amazing that this contradiction can exist within a single human mind, with such ease. That tells me something about the limited reliability of outward circumstantial kindness as a measure of human character. It also tells me something about the limited reliability of bigotry as a measure of the same. If people possess such discontinuities in their thinking, and people do, then that itself diminishes their strength of character. The fewer a person's contradictions, the greater their consistency of deed and word, then the better their character may possibly be.

This is a testament, a monument, to the importance of becoming more aware, of seeing the world less as a jumble of competing strands of light, and more as a continuous expanse of truth. Strive, gentle reader, for a context that leaves no role unspoken. Dr. Jekyll would have told us little of Mr. Hyde, and certainly Mr. Hyde would have told us nothing of Dr. Jekyll. Only to recognize them both as different aspects of the same entity are we able to understand that their distinctions are situational, that the monster was there to begin with but was not limited to the monster, and that the good doctor was only as good as his awareness permitted.

Fat-bashers are bigots who use red herrings to troll their victims while appearing credible to society at large. Don't be deceived.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #2622 on: May 30, 2010, 05:28:43 am »
Damn! It is now very possible that my direct patriarchal ancestor (great great great great great grandfather) was one "Richard" who was in the Continental Army and fought in the Revolutionary War. Fucking hell, that means I can probably get into one of those "Descendants of the Revolution" genealogical organizations! I just have to prove one very likely link.

Jeez, a Major in the Revolutionary War, who also fought in the French and Indian wars and almost certainly met George Washington...

Truthordeal

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Dunno what's supposed to go here. Oh now I see.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #2623 on: May 30, 2010, 11:16:15 am »
Red Skelton was a cousin of some variety of my grandmother's.

I'm also related in some way to a Commodore Perry; since there are three famous Commodores named Perry though, I don't know if this was the "Opening Nagasaki" Perry, the "Damn the Torpedoes" Perry, or the "Old West" Perry.

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2624 on: May 30, 2010, 05:35:59 pm »
Damn! It is now very possible that my direct patriarchal ancestor (great great great great great grandfather) was one "Richard" who was in the Continental Army and fought in the Revolutionary War. Fucking hell, that means I can probably get into one of those "Descendants of the Revolution" genealogical organizations! I just have to prove one very likely link.

Jeez, a Major in the Revolutionary War, who also fought in the French and Indian wars and almost certainly met George Washington...

I'm the great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great niece of John Hancock on my mother's side.  Closest thing to a direct descendant, seeing as none of Hancock's children lived past childhood.  Pretty cool.