Author Topic: Stuff you LOVE, baby  (Read 328511 times)

Zephira

• Bounty Hunter
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • You're not afraid of the dark, are you?...Are you?
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page
Re: Stuff you LOVE, baby
« Reply #2520 on: April 12, 2010, 07:37:53 pm »
While I don't remember the difference between Alien and Aliens due to how long it's been since I've watched either of them, I love them both. Many people in my school still use the iconic alien creature as a subject for their paintings in Color Theory and Photoshop classes. In my mind they're both classics, as they are both awesome and created before I was born.

skylark

• Poet of El Nido
  • Black Wind Agent (+600)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2521 on: April 12, 2010, 08:54:25 pm »
The science is psychology and the fiction is Brad Pitt. =)

*rimshots*

...What? :?

Lakonthegreat

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • Love this community, and care for it as your own.
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #2522 on: April 12, 2010, 09:45:06 pm »
I'm curious as to why Alien (1979) should be chosen as a classic over Aliens (1986). I guess Alien felt a little more like a horror art film, whereas Aliens was definitely more of an action flick. Could the different "mood" set these films apart in terms of classic-worthiness, or other aspects? For my own part I'd tend to rate Aliens slightly higher than Alien just for the writing and deeper exploration of Ripley's character.

Three words.

BILL FUCKING PAXTON.

Aliens is much more deserving of "Classic" status.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2523 on: April 13, 2010, 11:40:39 am »
In the Jewish diaspora, you're supposed to pray facing Jerusalem. In America, that is generally interpreted to mean "east." The shul I went to when I was a kid had its sanctuary oriented eastward, like pretty much every other shul in America.

Now, as it happens, my favorite direction is west. As it happens, my apartment faces west and has a wall of glass in that direction and a sweeping view of the city and the mountains. And, as it happens, I don't much like prayer, or religion. So I got to thinking: I'm already a west-facer rather than an east-facer. What, then, is the opposite of prayer? Could it be network television programming? Could it be issuing an imperial decree through a megaphone?

I asked the googles, but they kept giving me the religious answers, such as anxiety and pride.

I asked the dictionary, and I got something close to the "imperial decree," which is that "pray" comes from a word meaning "entreat" and "prayer" thus is closely related to the word "precarious," as they share the common etymology of "made by entreaty," and the opposite of entreaty is certainly declaration. But I felt there was more WIN to yet be mined from this, so I pressed on...

I asked Mr. Owl, but he ate my lollipop and didn't have anything to say about prayer.

Then, finally, I asked the Joshalonian Board of Defiance (currently in unscheduled session), and they told me, with their usual understated brilliance, and without hesitation, that the opposite of "prayer" is "providence." "Providence" you may know as a religious word, but more simply it refers to the state of being provided for, and it derives from a word meaning "to foresee" in the sense of meaning "to see ahead," i.e., "to have foresight," i.e., "prudence." The opposite of prayer, then, is not merely providence, but prudence.

ZING !!

As a writer, I possess the talent to make words mean whatever I want them to, without breaking any of the rules of English. As often as this zings the "Prayerisees," it also leads to occasional newfound insights. Everybody wins. <3

Now, therefore, I have resolved to hold court on my westward-facing balcony in the mornings and be prudent with my megaphone.

Truthordeal

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Dunno what's supposed to go here. Oh now I see.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #2524 on: April 13, 2010, 12:20:14 pm »
Quote from: Lordiest of All J's
I asked Mr. Owl, but he ate my lollipop and didn't have anything to say about prayer.

Feh, I knew that bastard was no good.

Overall, I find this post humorous and interesting.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2525 on: April 13, 2010, 12:58:36 pm »
I know that my bringing this up is self-defeating, but I've been following the events in Kyrgyzstan, and, all else aside, I've been pleased to note the utter lack of articles focusing on the fact that the head of the interim government is female. I felt the same satisfaction when I read an article about the first U.S. naval ship to reach Haiti after the earthquake there; its captain is female, but that wasn't dwelt upon for even one sentence. The leader of one of the big health insurance companies is female; when it came out that she was lining her pockets, little ink was spilled on that fact. California's gubernatorial and senatorial races each have a credible female candidate on the Republican side who was the leader of a major technology corporation; not much has been said lately about their sex.

I'm very refreshed that it is becoming unremarkable to linger upon females who aspire to, or occupy, high leadership positions.

And here's the icing on the cake: The NY Times biography on the head of the Kyrgyzstan interim government has exactly one sentence on Otunbayeva's "family life." It is the last sentence in the article, and reads simply "She is married and has two children." That is equivalent to what a male figure would get. Very satisfying indeed...

Have you ever noticed that the Republicans nowadays mostly talk about how much they hate "radical feminism" rather than just "feminism"? They've tried to claim the mantle of feminism for themselves. Years ago, they wanted to destroy feminism entirely. They still do, but their attempt to claim the mantle of it, the name of it, is an admission of their defeat.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2526 on: April 14, 2010, 10:51:31 am »
I shan't want my posts here ever to become insipid, but I must say that I love tea. But perhaps even more truly, I love to drink (in the universal sense of the word). Think of all the different experiences you can have when you drink something. If you suspect these are not powerful sensations, simply think back to a time when you thought you would be drinking one thing, and it turned out to be something else. Such surprise as that is rarely surpassed. The tea I have before me is a frugal black tea, with a splash of what I will incorrectly call "cream" (because "half and half" is the most obnoxiously ineloquent term for any dairy product). The resulting tea is sweet and creamy, with just enough of a black bite. After my coffee fiasco yesterday, I decided to start today with something that would be hard to fuck up. (Then again, I hadn't thought that I could make coffee so poor--especially given what a high-quality coffee it was!)

The world of drinks is often an afterthought in our society, if you compare the shelf space given to beverages and their preparations, versus foods and theirs. But let us be thankful para beber. From a summer lemonade, to a short tomato juice, to a rich chocolate milk, to a bright black tea, to that outstanding polar solvent of agriculture and industry which we drink like water (because it is), what many opportunities there are to imbibe, to drink. And the word to grok, which is more than understanding and more than knowing, I have always remembered best by its closest literal meaning in English, "to drink." Heinlein struck that note with the brilliance only a great writer could muster. But imagine, then, the literal.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #2527 on: April 14, 2010, 09:44:27 pm »
http://chronofan.com/Zeality/Sonic%20CD%20(Mega%20CD)%20-%2009%20-%20Collision%20Chaos%20(Future)%20Double%20Loop.mp3

This Sonic CD edit gets everything right that modern pop doesn't. What a groove.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2528 on: April 15, 2010, 11:33:59 am »
Cast TV has full episodes of Doctor Who. Including the current season.

Internet, I love you.

Truthordeal

• View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #2529 on: April 15, 2010, 11:32:21 pm »
This song.

It is probably the most epic thing in the world, far surpassing DragonForce.

Lakonthegreat

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #2530 on: April 16, 2010, 01:10:30 am »
This song.

It is probably the most epic thing in the world, far surpassing DragonForce.

*facepalm* If I hear one more person call Dragonforce epic, then I will strangle a kitten.

A side note, yet related, Veil of Maya's new album [id] has definitely tickled my fancy.

Zephira

• Bounty Hunter
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • You're not afraid of the dark, are you?...Are you?
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page
« Reply #2531 on: April 16, 2010, 02:33:23 am »
Speaking of Dragonforce! They do have some very good music, but I can only remember two of their songs. Through the Fire and Flames (of course), and another one which I think is called Flame of Youth. They're very good to work out too. And, yes, they are epic.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2532 on: April 16, 2010, 10:52:28 am »
DragonForce? As in "DragonForce, the power metal band"? Really?

Huh.

I want to like them, I really do. Alas no, it seems that it is not meant to be.

Lakonthegreat

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #2533 on: April 16, 2010, 11:08:35 am »
Let me just say this and then I'm done with Dragonforce.

If Herman Ree and Sam Drunknuts could actually play guitar as well as they say they do, I wouldn't be as bad about them. The fact is that the most talented person in the band is the keyboard player. The only reason Herman and Sam can play so well on their CD is because of the multiple takes they get to do it right in the studio, and the fact that when they record, they play everything at half speed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MU_2o0T7H2I&feature=related

Herman's sweeps in this video are so sloppy.

Compare to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zkt75mImIKg

Truthordeal

• View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #2534 on: April 16, 2010, 12:46:34 pm »
If Herman Ree and Sam Drunknuts could actually play guitar as well as they say they do, I wouldn't be as bad about them.

I lol'd.

I understand this is rock and roll, but wtf would you give yourself a name like that?