Author Topic: Stuff you LOVE, baby  (Read 328796 times)

Zephira

• Bounty Hunter
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • You're not afraid of the dark, are you?...Are you?
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page
Re: Stuff you LOVE, baby
« Reply #2415 on: March 05, 2010, 08:08:52 pm »
I love the line about Koreans and their Starcraft. It seems almost impossible for somebody to love something that much. Congratulations, robots!

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2416 on: March 05, 2010, 08:10:27 pm »
Thanks for that Truthordeal, I love this stuff. Here's a video of Asimo falling down stairs at a trade show as referenced in that article. Much more coordinated, apparently, is the US Defense Department's very own BigDog. The tradeoff is, Asimo's a cute little bugger whereas BigDog looks (and sounds) like it stepped out of Dr. Robotnik's most twisted nightmares. It's an interesting reflection of the civilian vs. military divide in robotics research.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 08:15:46 pm by FaustWolf »

Truthordeal

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Dunno what's supposed to go here. Oh now I see.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #2417 on: March 06, 2010, 07:12:16 pm »
Robot Unicorn Attack

I heard about it a lot on FunnyJunk and the Internet over the past week but only started playing it this morning. It is addictive. The background throughout the entire game sounds like one of those 80's soft rock songs like you'd hear from Paul McCartney(Ebony and Ivory), Phil Collins and Genesis(Invisible Touch) or Peter Frampton. I have yet to find out who the artist is, or what the song's called, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was any of those three.

Just hearing the song itself in the background is enough to motivate a person to not die, just to hear it all the way through. It is AMAZING, even if you're not a fan of the stuff on Adult Swim, it's definitely worth the look.

MsBlack

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2418 on: March 06, 2010, 10:11:17 pm »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Always_(Erasure_song)

To find a song from the lyrics, just punch 'em into The Google with suitable double quotes.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2419 on: March 07, 2010, 12:27:14 am »
Truth, thanks so much for sharing that game. I don't normally play Flash games, and had this been years ago I would have refused to try a game dominated with that much purple and pink -- but that Robot Unicorn is a brilliant piece of work in every respect. That has to have some of the best physics I've ever experienced in a 2D game, and I agree with your observation of how the music impacts the player's motivation.

KebreI

• A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2420 on: March 07, 2010, 12:29:18 am »
Damn thats actually pretty fun, to bad I am quite bad at these kind of games.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #2421 on: March 07, 2010, 05:15:59 pm »
I met someone amazing on the trip. This guy is the closest person to Zell Dincht I've ever seen in my life. He's the storm center of relentless energy and positivity in the most badass way. We easily became friends, and I noticed on his FB that he's got tons of fucking springtime of youth quotes. This guy is fucking amazing and inspirational as hell. He's clearly going through life at the speed of light and making the most of every situation with inexhaustible cheer. He was the most interesting son of a bitch there, and naturally the kind that sometimes draws criticism of being too passionate or dramatic or overdoing it. Hahahaha! Wave to those fucking people as they pass by. This is the springtime of youth. Here's an artist's rendering:

GenesisOne

• Bounty Seeker
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • "Time Travel? Possible? Don't make me laugh!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2422 on: March 07, 2010, 05:38:22 pm »

I love the songs Prophecies and Pruitt Igoe from the highly obscure movie Koyaanisqatsi.

For those who don't what song I'm talking about, look up the scene from the more presently present film Watchmen.  It's the scene where Dr. Manhattan first arrives on Mars and reviews his past life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0RKpmjjpLQ

Happy listening.  So minimalist... yet so sublime.

Lance VII

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • Power to the fans!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2423 on: March 07, 2010, 05:44:56 pm »
I love melodic music and poetry.

Great example is 'Poet and the Pendulum' by Tuomas Holopainen, written by Nightwish.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvUNvUunjNI

This piece of music tells the story of Tuomas life and depression, with that small amount of hope at the end of the fifth movement.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2424 on: March 08, 2010, 03:32:31 pm »
I just started reading it, but I'm already in love with the book "Outliers: The Story of Success" by Malcolm Gladwell. It's a fascinating read, and has some particularly interesting insights. The best is that people who succeed put in 10,000 hours of work on their given field. Bill Gates, for example, had already put in 10,000 hours of programming time when he started the foundations of microsoft. It isn't so much that Gates was talented (to a degree he was), but accruing that much computer time was amazingly lucky during that period. Having access to a computer at all was rare and incredibly expensive. Good fortune after good fortune allowed Gates, as a teenager, to accrue more experience than professionals could have had a hope of ever achieving at that time. But it was the work that allowed him to succeed.

If you want to break through into greatness, you only have 10,000 hours to go. That's a lot but... it's also very encouraging to me. Talent might help, but only hard and diligent work will get you there. Anyone can work hard, anyone can succeed… if they put in the time.

Me? I have a crapload of time still to invest, but I am working to invest it, and this adds a sense of urgency to that investment. The clock’s ticking, make every moment count towards something you want.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #2425 on: March 08, 2010, 06:43:42 pm »
Forgot my umbrella, so I walked all over campus in drenching rain.

Awesome. I need to do it more often. What an experience.

KebreI

• A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2426 on: March 08, 2010, 07:13:17 pm »
Forgot my umbrella, so I walked all over campus in drenching rain.

Awesome. I need to do it more often. What an experience.
I love the Rogue Valley in southern Oregon! The weather's been warming up clear skies the BAM! Just a few day before spring break there is a beautiful day of snow and hail! I love it!

rushingwind

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2427 on: March 08, 2010, 10:32:20 pm »
You know what I love? Six free months of dancing lessons. Oh yeah:D

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2428 on: March 08, 2010, 10:35:22 pm »
You did it! Congratulations, Rushingwind!

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2429 on: March 09, 2010, 02:39:23 am »
I never did express my great appreciation for Tetsuya Takahashi's direction of Xenosaga: Episode I. Aside from his propensity to employ dubious camera angles at times, the opening has become one of my favorite pieces of cinema. And, what's this!? A little man named "Mitsuda" did the music!? Ohohohohoh.

And who could forget one of the most kickass moments in RPG history? What a crowning moment of badass that was.