Author Topic: Stuff you LOVE, baby  (Read 331578 times)

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
Re: Stuff you LOVE, baby
« Reply #2220 on: January 13, 2010, 01:22:47 pm »
That's hilarious. We need a thread where everyone tries to emulate one of ZeaLitY's smack attacks.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #2221 on: January 13, 2010, 01:24:18 pm »
Yeah, I was going to suggest you add some pictures to your point to really drive home the glory. Glad to see they came through.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2222 on: January 13, 2010, 02:49:47 pm »
Also, I love apples in general and Honeycrisp Apples in specific. So delicious!

I'm in the Harvest-time of Youth, baby!

KebreI

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2223 on: January 13, 2010, 11:53:51 pm »
Let's rip history a new one!I have no idea what that means.
Star Trek Enterprise never quite got the love it deserved I felt.

Shee

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
  • Sheeeeeeit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2224 on: January 14, 2010, 05:07:49 am »
Not my episode on Spike after all....oh well a ton of support came to me which was one of those....moments.  Just one of those moments.  Finally got back into an open mic tonight...4 hour wait for five minutes for 7 people...absolutely worth it!  Felt good to get it going, got a lot of new material coming.

Truthordeal

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Dunno what's supposed to go here. Oh now I see.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #2225 on: January 15, 2010, 12:14:24 pm »
Today we watched the Ron Clark Story in class. Ordinarily, this would be enough to love, but this movie also kicked off the closest thing to a break I'll have all month.

I've been pretty much going non-stop between teacher shadowing and my Foundations class, with several billion separate assignments due on scattered days, and that's not even counting my portfolio to get into the education program. It's really been a test of my organizational skills and my stick-with-itness and getting-it-doneness. Oh yeah, and tests.

But, since Monday is MLK day, the school I shadow at is out for a four day weekend, so I really only have Foundations, and, as I mentioned at the beginning, we watched a movie today. Monday shouldn't be too straining either.

And, I do love the students I'm working with, and my mentoring teacher is awesome as well. He's been really helpful and trusts me enough to let me get involved.

That reminds me of my hatred of Standardized Tests, but that's another topic from another day.

And now!...off to write my Philosophy of Education paper, and fill out some forms...nyeh...

MagilsugaM

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • Never say never... Nothing is impossible...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2226 on: January 17, 2010, 06:35:09 am »

Let's rejoice and be satisfied! Random or surreal ?

Gantz is the best most mind-fucking manga, I have ever read!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 06:41:06 am by MagilsugaM »

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2227 on: January 17, 2010, 02:54:21 pm »
See my advice from the other thread. =P

GenesisOne

• Bounty Seeker
  • "Time Travel? Possible? Don't make me laugh!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2228 on: January 17, 2010, 04:27:50 pm »
Gantz is the best most mind-fucking manga, I have ever read!

Really?  I could've sworn it was this:

Heck, it even inspired real-life crimes in its name:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2007-11-22/virginian-teen-suspended-over-names-in-death-note

Truthordeal

• View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #2229 on: January 17, 2010, 06:02:13 pm »
Really?  I could've sworn it was this:

I'll see your wangsty teenager with a chip on his shoulder and raise you one BAMF pirate with a big damn sword!

GenesisOne

• Bounty Seeker
  • "Time Travel? Possible? Don't make me laugh!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2230 on: January 17, 2010, 06:08:59 pm »

One Piece?  Seriously?  Here's why I don't like the series:

- Lousy talk/fight ratio
- Lousy flashblack/fight ratio
- Too many retarded enemies
- Zoro’s failure to fight anyone remotely interesting (except Mihawk)
- Luffy’s rubber powers somehow include increased hand-eye coordination
- Somebody’s always crying for some stupid reason (and boy, do they cry)

In all fairness, though, Luffy does a few things right. He’s got some sick moves when he’s fighting seriously. His destruction of Nami’s map room was reminiscent of Onizuka’s sledgehammer scene.

Conclusion? I can’t put up with Luffy’s stupidity and screwing around for 400+ episodes.  Maybe you can, but I like to keep my anime series likings to at least 100 episodes or less (like RuroKen.  Thank the heavens.)

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2231 on: January 17, 2010, 06:19:40 pm »
I'm enjoying having my own room.  I came back to school on the 5th and I haven't seen my roommate at all.  Her parents live literally 3 minutes away from campus, so I assume she's just spending January term with them.  I haven't seen her in a month.  But regardless, it's nice to have my own room.  I can listen to music on my speakers, go to bed whenever I want, stay on the computer as long as I want without having to move out to the hallway.  ><

It's lovely.  I hope she decides to stay with her parents for the rest of the school year!

Truthordeal

• View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #2232 on: January 17, 2010, 10:41:01 pm »
Genesis~! Your blasphemy on this matter shall not go unchallenged! I shall give you whatfor, slimey heretic!

No, but seriously, this is one of the few interesting topics that I actually feel competent in speaking about, so...I'm gonna go for it. Hey, this is the Love thread, and I do happen to love One Piece, so...it works.

- Lousy flashblack/fight ratio

For most other shounen series(cough cough, bleach naruto cough) I'd normally agree with you. Flashbacks can be a major nuisance, especially when they're placed right in the middle of an important battle scene. They are intrusive to the plot, they pull you away from the action, and more often than not, they add a sense of narm to an otherwise epic sequence.

But the way Odacchi(yes, I'm using his fan nickname, so I realize how this comes off) presents the flashbacks adds to the tension and the grandeur of whatever moment is occuring. This is a guy who is capable of info-dumping two to three episodes of flashback in the middle of the arc, and not only keep the pace of the story, but enhance the drama of it. Whether it was in Arlong Park or Enies Lobby, the flashbacks really put the situation in a perspective that grips the viewer(or the reader) and doesn't let go.

That being said, I think Odacchi does well on his flashbacks and back-exposition.

- Too many retarded enemies

Sure, mini-arcs have some pretty weak(in both senses of the word) villains, like Axehand Morgan or Don Kreig, but when you get to some of the more prominent story lines, you get guys like Arlong the Merman, Sir Crocodile, Spandam, Magellan, and to a far greater extent, Gecko Moria. All of these antagonists are not only interesting, but fun to watch, and the greatest of them can even invoke an almost visceral reaction in its viewers(this hasn't happened to me, yet, but I hear it's quite common). If that isn't good character design, I don't know what is.

- Zoro’s failure to fight anyone remotely interesting (except Mihawk)

Kaku...that is all.

- Somebody’s always crying for some stupid reason (and boy, do they cry)

Again, this is that very emotional aspect of the series. You learn during the Arlong Arc that not everything is careless adventuring in the world of One Piece. It has its share of sad and gripping moments that tear your heart out.

But then again, this is the type of environment that Odacchi rules at. Through his artwork and his story telling he can combine the extremes of several different emotions and produce something that is nothing short of a masterpiece. There's one scene in particular that demonstrates this, but I'm going to avoid linking to it due to spoilers.

In all fairness, though, Luffy does a few things right. He’s got some sick moves when he’s fighting seriously. His destruction of Nami’s map room was reminiscent of Onizuka’s sledgehammer scene.

Dude, that's not even the half of it...

He slams Sir Crocodile through solid bedrock, decks Eneru off of a cloud and into a giant golden bell, and smashes Gecko Moria through the mast of the world's largest pirate ship; approximately the size of a small island.

And that's not even talking about the Enies Lobby Arc, which is by itself one Crowning Moment of Awesome after the next.

Conclusion? I can’t put up with Luffy’s stupidity and screwing around for 400+ episodes.  Maybe you can, but I like to keep my anime series likings to at least 100 episodes or less (like RuroKen.  Thank the heavens.)

Meh, true. The number of episodes is a bit daunting.

But my main problem with those types of shows(Ruroken included, unfortunately) is that they are ultra-compressed and don't tell the whole story. Claymore, Trigun, and Elfen Lied all have awesome stories that a 26 episode series simply can't tell. All of the three mentioned are good by themselves, otherwise I wouldn't have watched them, but unless you read the manga(which I'm not prone to do) you miss out on a lot of good stuff.

I'm just thankful that they've kept up with One Piece as long as they have, although I will admit that they could probably slow production of the anime down just a bit so that the episodes aren't so squeezed together.

Uboa

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2233 on: January 17, 2010, 11:20:27 pm »
I don't know if this should go here or in a new "geek confessions" thread, but I just danced to the Robo Roll song.

Not once.
Not twice.

Three times. 

:P

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2234 on: January 18, 2010, 03:11:51 am »
I don't know if this should go here or in a new "geek confessions" thread, but I just danced to the Robo Roll song.

Not once.
Not twice.

Three times. 

:P

In this crowd?  Hardly!  I'm sure many of us think that's awesome (myself included).  ;)