Author Topic: Stuff you LOVE, baby  (Read 332075 times)

Truthordeal

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Dunno what's supposed to go here. Oh now I see.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account
Re: Stuff you LOVE, baby
« Reply #2175 on: January 03, 2010, 09:32:43 am »
Don't bother moving it, as I have no intention on debating this further. This was hardly a "debate" to begin with, as MsBlack only seems bent on insulting me and my taste in movies over any sort of meaningful discourse.

Quote from: MsBlack

Yeah. And I'm saying how you judge a film's worth is crap. And it seems you are too!

I don't know if this statement is exclusive to this conversation(in which case, you're a damn fool for getting riled up over my opinion of a movie) or if it is influenced by some of the stupid things I've said in the past, I recommend getting some sort of surgery done to remove the stick from your ass, as it seems very tightly wedged up there.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #2176 on: January 03, 2010, 05:24:27 pm »
Aesthetics in movies are important. More important though can be the reasons for doing so. Avatar's aesthetics are more of a technological achievement, which in itself is a kind of art and can be appreciated as such apart from the movie itself. Realistic visuals in a movie can be very important for a sense of immersion. The medium is as much a part of the artistry as the finished products idea or purpose.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2177 on: January 03, 2010, 06:51:29 pm »
Quote from: Truthordeal
I'm sorry, I just haven't heard anything to convince me to see that movie. All I've heard is "blah blah blah, James Cameron," "blah, blah, blah, looks amazing," "blah, blah, blah, most expensive movie."
But, Truth, it's James Cameron. James-freaking-Cameron. I mean, Terminator...Aliens...T2...Titanic. C'mon, you've gotta see this!

Well, actually, I'm waiting for it to come out on DVD and rent it. Or maybe I'm just waiting for it to get any Oscar besides "Best Special Effects." This is an interesting one, because I believe Cameron wrote the script all himself, whereas my favorite Cameron movies (Terminator/Aliens/T2) were written with Gale Ann Hurd's and/or William Wisher Jr's assistance -- so I'm not sure how much of the awesomeness in my fave Cameron movies is really his voice as a writer, and how much should be credited to Hurd and Wisher.

However, looks like Cameron wrote Titanic all by himself from what I've researched, so you might be able to use that to help judge the probable quality of Avatar's story.

I'm still kind of miffed that Cameron will most likely move on to Avatar 2 given his success, and he'll likely leave Battle Angel out in the cold for awhile. Hopefully he'll get to it eventually. I think he was originally supposed to do Battle Angel first, but he contracted with Laeta Kalogridis (of Alexander fame...yeah) to help write it, and the script turned into some kind of mess. Hence why we have Avatar. Or that is my theory, anyway.

But I'm definitely renting Avatar at least.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2178 on: January 03, 2010, 10:38:02 pm »
I'd like to do a movie where a bunch of earthlicking crumb bums discover the wonders of industry. Plotlines like that of Avatar are, at heart, expressions of pastoralism crossed with transcendentalism crossed with Western guilt...not a very appealing hybrid, in my opinion. (This is independent of my opinion of the movie, which I haven't even seen.) We're never going to get ahead by going back.

Truthordeal, MsBlack corrected you because you contradicted yourself outright in multiple instances. It's nothing, really. Don't worry about it; just review your logic.

On another note, I do love Pike Place Market. I had a nice, crispy fish and chips there today at Jack's Fish Spot. I ate in the park, overlooking the bay. It was warm enough to be sitting down outside without a coat. If you're Josh, that is, and have liquid hot metabolic powerz.

GenesisOne

• Bounty Seeker
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • "Time Travel? Possible? Don't make me laugh!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2179 on: January 04, 2010, 02:06:50 am »
I love opening a dictionary to learn a new word.

There are few joys greater than having such an expansive vocabulary.

Today, I learned what "pastoralism" is: The herding of domesticated animals as a primary economic activity of a society. 

Thanks, Lord J :D

Who knows what I'll learn tomorrow?

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2180 on: January 04, 2010, 02:09:42 am »
Glad to be of service.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #2181 on: January 04, 2010, 02:47:44 pm »
Hooray for new avatars! They were all stolen from somewhere where some artist made simplified renderings of famous gaming characters...Unfortunately I couldn't resize Ken or Bowser properly, but I figured I'd share them here...

I think I'm going to resize them as best I can and then put a few of their sprites in the margins or something...

Zephira

• Bounty Hunter
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • You're not afraid of the dark, are you?...Are you?
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page
« Reply #2182 on: January 04, 2010, 03:45:46 pm »
My attention has recently been completely abducted by two new Wii games and the Hitchiker's Guide compilation book. I must say, Smash Bros Brawl is an amazing game. The amount of music in it is just staggering, and it has some beautiful visuals. That, and the Waddle Dee Army is the coolest thing ever. I really hope there'll be a fourth in the series so they can toss in the Chrono Crew and the rest of the Golden Sun crew.

MsBlack

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2183 on: January 04, 2010, 07:58:03 pm »
Nikola The Motherfuckin' The Tesla. :lee: They don't deterministically evolve 'em like that anymore! :cry:

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2184 on: January 04, 2010, 08:12:59 pm »
Clearly you have not visited my Highly Energetic Electrical Arcs Laboratory (HEEAL).

Arakial

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2185 on: January 04, 2010, 09:28:13 pm »
Dilbert.

'nuff said.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2186 on: January 04, 2010, 09:54:51 pm »
There's a pretty big gap in between panels six and seven. Dilbert's own musings on the subject are an example of one of the many cultural forces besides economics which act on the consumption of resources. It isn't true that a resource which is in high demand at some point and is being used unsustainably will necessarily continue to be used up until it is depleted to the point of being nonviable or gone. While Dogbert has a point that other countries would buy up any oil we stopped buying, those countries also have other cultural forces at work, and would eventually arrive at the same realization that fossil fuel use is not only unsustainable but undesirable as well. Whether that happens before the world's oil actually runs out is open for debate--and thought I would speculate that, sadly, the oil will probably run out before people supplant oil as a source of work (i.e., transportation) with some other energy, nevertheless his argument is ultimately wrong.

Arakial

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2187 on: January 04, 2010, 10:38:26 pm »
Oil and other fossil fuels being what they are, carbon based fuels. Consider that the top contending alternatives either themselves are carbon based(methane, ethanol, biodiesel etc) or will be something that will require outside energy for maintenance or production generated by, more than likely, other carbon based fuels. Don't you think we'll likely still be stuck with similar or worse problems, at least pollution-wise, supposing some solution is financially viable? You seem to be savvy on this--what's your take?

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2188 on: January 05, 2010, 12:11:09 am »
Fossil fuels are not the only energy source. Far from it. My take is that the next chapter in energy development will be one of transition, diversification, conservation, and decentralization. You will see more vehicles go to electrical power, reducing oil usage on transportation. That electricity will be increasingly generated in plants that are not fossil-fired, reducing coal and natural gas usage in power stations. You will see so-called "green" power, nuclear power, and probably hydroelectric power in ascendance. In addition to new major power stations, you will see people install generators in their own homes and towers, from solar panels to windmills. Conservation and efficiency efforts will intensify, and we will have an even more vigorous debate on what constitutes "wasteful" energy expenditure. You will see our technologies evolve to become more efficient, and our infrastructure will evolve to match it. You will see, I think, a resurgence of multi-ownership, durables, and mass transit, and a decline in consumables and overall manufacturing.

The infrastructure for fossil fuel energies is vast, sophisticated, and efficient. No other type of energy infrastructure has been replicated on nearly so massive a scale. Consequently, it would be impossible for us to switch overnight away from fossil fuel use. What we must do instead is develop robust infrastructures to deliver alternative power, at first cutting the growth rates of fossil fuel consumption and then, ultimately, actually reducing fossil fuel consumption, steadily down so that it is eventually a much smaller component of our energy system. Expect, then, for fossil fuels to continue to be both a primary energy source and a major source of controversy and global instability for decades to come.

If it were treated like the emergency that it is, we could do all of this a lot faster. As it is, it will probably take most of our lifetimes for alternative power sources to collectively overtake fossil fuels as the major source of electrical power and locomotion. The Earth has already sustained considerable alteration as a result of energy production. That seems fated to continue. History will decide how bad the damage toll is.

I end on a positive note: As I implied, fossil fuels are more viable because we have a fossil fuel energy infrastructure. Wind and solar power are beginning to catch on commercially, as government incentives spur the development of these technologies which, in the short term, produce more expensive power, but in the mid term present major growth opportunities. And of course hydroelectric power and nuclear power are waiting for us to popularize them again. Then there are the technologies which are not as far along, but promise even greater potential in the long term.

~~~
For Clarity: The oil problem is mostly one of transportation: cars, ships, planes, trains, etc. We also use oil in the chemical industries and elsewhere, but to a far lesser extent. The coal problem, which I didn't mention in my last post, is one of electrical power generation, but if anything it's an even bigger problem than the oil one. The difference is that global coal reserves are about ten times vaster than oil reserves.

Arakial

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2189 on: January 05, 2010, 12:47:08 am »
Fossil fuels are not the only energy source. Far from it.
Oh no, I wasn't asserting that, rather I was using the example given. I must have not made my implication of other sources existing as well, but for clarity, it was the instance of things that would require outside energy for maintenance or production like solar panels, turbines(hydro or aero), etc.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 12:49:50 am by Arakial »