Author Topic: Stuff you LOVE, baby  (Read 328432 times)

Zephira

• Bounty Hunter
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • You're not afraid of the dark, are you?...Are you?
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page
Re: Stuff you LOVE, baby
« Reply #1410 on: August 26, 2009, 08:36:17 pm »
Salt water fish are awesome but really hard to take care of. My grandma had a 100 gallon fresh water tank and a 50 gallon salt water tank. We had an anemone, a boxing shrimp, some snails, a whole bunch of those vacuum fish.. then most of them spilled out during an earthquake. Had to get rid of them after that.
Fish are awesome, but they're really a pain.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1411 on: August 26, 2009, 09:20:05 pm »
The recent attention on King James English in the Shakespeare thread got me to thinking about one of my favorite satirical webcomics of all time. Back a few years ago, a group of liberals got together to make fun of the right-wing bloggers and media personalities who were always so glowingly in favor of everything the Bush administration said or did, often with much hypocrisy and contradiction. So the lefties created this semi-regular webcomic called "The Keyboard Kommandos," enjoying modest success.

On one occasion, however, they thought of doing a historical satire. The result was an episode of The Keyboard Kommandos entitled "The Parchment Paladins." Actually, it was entitled "Greate King George and Ye Olde Parchment Paladins in Manuscript the First: Deviltry Most Villianous!!!!"

http://web.archive.org/web/20061230115407/http://www.thepoorman.net/2005/07/20/keyboard-kommando-klassics-presents/

So friggin' sweet...

Truthordeal

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Dunno what's supposed to go here. Oh now I see.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #1412 on: August 26, 2009, 09:28:09 pm »
Hurrah for the Wayback Machine!

Lakonthegreat

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • Love this community, and care for it as your own.
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #1413 on: August 26, 2009, 09:31:37 pm »
So today I found out that a few of my friends are going to Orlando on November 6th to see Dethklok and Mastodon the next day. My friend Chadd invited me to go along, and I gave a resounding yes. I am absolutely elated!

So fellow Compendiumites, can I expect to see any of you at this amazing show?

Uboa

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: August 26, 2009, 10:29:23 pm »
ZaichikArky, let me tell you a story. My wife spent a year in Thailand. The father in the family she stayed with would eat peppers straight, as a snack. He'd eat them until he was crying like he just found out Bambi's mother died. Then... he'd eat more.

I used to do things akin to that, until I read about this:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1063598/Aspiring-chef-dies-hours-making-ultra-hot-sauce-chilli-eating-contest.html

It's a really tragic story; one of those "who knew" kinds of incidents.  After I read it I had to think twice about consuming hot peppers willy nilly, just for... fun?  Well, it was one way to amuse myself at work. 

ZaichikArky

• Mystical Knight (+700)
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #1415 on: August 26, 2009, 10:58:02 pm »
Salt water fish are awesome but really hard to take care of. My grandma had a 100 gallon fresh water tank and a 50 gallon salt water tank. We had an anemone, a boxing shrimp, some snails, a whole bunch of those vacuum fish.. then most of them spilled out during an earthquake. Had to get rid of them after that.
Fish are awesome, but they're really a pain.

Oh dear... poor fishies. Yeah, that's why I hesitate with making a salt water tank. I know it's a lot more difficult than making/maintaining a fresh water tank. The main reason I hesitate, however, is not due to the difficulty, but due to my inability to stay put. I don't want to make this big tank and then move away and scramble to find a friend who wouldn't mind taking on the fish. I did that with my first betta and my friend killed him !

Uboa

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: August 26, 2009, 11:25:03 pm »
Oh dear!  My betta's lucky to be alive after I've left him with an unideal fish sitter, twice.  Then again, I think my betta is invincible.  He's well over three and still kicking, except not, because he has fins.

If you're interested enough in salt water tanks to experiment with them and get seasoned at their cleaning and upkeep, you can apparently make a quite a bit of money in rich neighborhoods if you develop a clientele of people who want a salt water tank but don't want to spend the time keeping it up on their own.  Just what I've heard...

Edit:  I just realized this is the second post in a row that begins with "oh dear".  (cue to next poster)

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: August 26, 2009, 11:47:34 pm »
Oh dear!

As it so happens, my dad had a marine aquarium for many years. It demanded about five or ten minutes of attention per day, and another two to three hours once a week for cleaning. He loved taking care of it--and it was cool for me because I'd hang out with him during that time. Watching the fish was relaxing, but all the more rewarding because he was so directly responsible for their wellbeing. Toward the end of his time with the tank, he had perfected tank conditions enough to be able to grow rare algae and keep some very delicate fish.

Uboa's right: Some people will pay good money for someone else to do the work for them. I think that kind of misses the point.

ZaichikArky

• Mystical Knight (+700)
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #1418 on: August 26, 2009, 11:53:55 pm »
Oh dear! I have never heard of people paying money because they're too lazy to upkeep their fish tanks. WHAT HAS THE WORLD COME TO!

XD. My first betta died because my friend didn't treat his illness (I don't know what it was, she said he had a "bump on his head") and my second died I think because I tried to introduce a plant into his tank and I guess he didn't respond to that too well, even though I did clean the tank more because the plant fouled up the water more ... If I have another betta, my goal is to get him to live 2 years XD; Bettas typically live 4 years, but mine seem to only make it to one.

Lakonthegreat

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • Love this community, and care for it as your own.
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #1419 on: August 27, 2009, 12:16:36 am »
It's better than my 6-week hermit crab.

I'm surprised he lasted that long. I didn't realize that they had to be submerged in water... I had him in a dry tank with a little dish of water that he spent a lot of time in. I was 7, so I guess me or my mom should have had a little bit better critical thinking skills. "Man, he's always thirsty!"

Poor Thirsty the 6-week-old hermit crab.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1420 on: August 27, 2009, 02:19:01 am »
I have four shows coming up from now til October 23rd with my band and the one on Oct. 23 we're opening for Richard Lloyd of the band Television! Television is not playing, obviously, but still, it's a friggin honor! I'm so excited.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1421 on: August 27, 2009, 12:45:04 pm »
Oh Dear! Well, seeing as we seem to be on the topic of pet-like creatures, I love my dog, Ellie. It is a well known fact that she is the cutest corgi ever, and that corgis are naturally adorable animals. She's a rescue dog; she had belonged to a backyard breeder but was rescued by a society that specializes in corgits and from them to us.

It was terribly sad at first: we thought she was mute because she never made a noise (until around the second week), it took about two or three months until she wouldn't cringe if we put on shoes or bumped her with our feet, and she is still a cowardly dog (she's still afraid of traffic cones and white Styrofoam ice chests). Despite a rough first few years in life, she's an intelligent dog who picked up her training very quickly and for the most part she is very trustworthy and well behaved... though she has been known to get into the trash if we've left her out and been gone for a long while. Side note: apparently dogs will eat artichoke leaves and spines... and pumpkins, including the stem.

Even for a corgi she's small, but despite being cowardly she has proven to be willing to protect us if necessary. I grew up with a dog, but Ellie is quite different and she makes me wonder why there has not been more poetry and literature devoted to the dog-human relationship.

And now, the real reason you're looking at this post, the puplet herself:

ZombieBucky

• Springtime of Youth
  • Squaretable Knight (+400)
  • <insert witty phrase to match above avatar>
    • View Profile
« Reply #1422 on: August 27, 2009, 01:30:51 pm »
i have an awesome dog too. chrisie is a lassie type dog. she's a sweetheart, and she always knows how to cheer me up. someone in the other town had to get rid of her because they were moving to a retirement home, so we picked her up and brought her here.
i think that dogs have t obe some of the msot caring animals ever. when im upset, she just sort of plops her head down on my leg and looks at me with those big brown eyes. when i cry she curls up next to me and lets me cry into her fur. and when im happy she gets all excited too and runs around. the way she rolls onto her back for tummyrubs is just so precious. she loves the lake, too, which is awesome. she and i went swimming the other day.
i wish i had a camera to show you guys what she looked like.

Shee

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
  • Sheeeeeeit
    • View Profile
« Reply #1423 on: August 27, 2009, 08:34:32 pm »
Just got called back for the Arby's gig!  :D :D :D
It's tomorrow morning.  HERE WE GOOOOOOOOOOO

mav

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • Gentleman Waiting in the Train Station at Twilight
    • View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #1424 on: August 27, 2009, 09:15:43 pm »
Congrats, Shee! Good luck with everything.