Author Topic: Stuff you LOVE, baby  (Read 328498 times)

Shee

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
  • Sheeeeeeit
    • View Profile
Re: Stuff you LOVE, baby
« Reply #1320 on: August 20, 2009, 06:14:23 am »
Hey all, the shoot was an awesome time!  Also quick smooth and efficient, which means things are going well.  It won't air until after the new year, so we'll have to sit tight.  Hopefully I'll get paid before then  8).  Got to fire a shotgun, always fun no matter what, but I had to wade around in a pretty gnar kiddy pool.  Seriously looked like poowater.

I haven't watched much of the Flight of The Conchords show, but I loved the live show.  I think a good few of their tunes are catchy.  I also missed Kenny Powers but I've heard nothing but great things.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: August 20, 2009, 11:21:59 am »
I love that Me, Bekkler, Boo, and Thought all share a love of Flight of the Conchords.

Anybody watch Eastbound and Down? Anyone down with Kenny Powers?

Yes, but that thing with the eyeball seriously made me cringe. I was like "Noooo Daryl!!!!!" Cause I only know that guy's Office name. Haha.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: August 20, 2009, 12:56:54 pm »
I love architecture. Last night, with the power out, I designed most of a cottage by candlelight. I felt so old-school! Too bad I don't have a quill and some good old fashioned parchment.

I need to buy a compass. My circles suck.

MsBlack

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: August 20, 2009, 04:07:48 pm »
UUUUUSSSAAAIINN BOLT!!

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: August 20, 2009, 04:54:42 pm »
Galileo Goes to Jail and Other Myths about Science and Religion. It is a rather interesting book. It is primarily concerned with historical exactness, and so pleasantly the "myths" come from a wide range of courses.

Given other texts on the matter, one might approach the book with a significant degree of hesitation. I was quite afraid that it would be an untenable "defense" of either "science" or religion at the expense of history. On the contrary, the book (which is a collection of essays) strives to stay quite close to the historical evidence.

This commitment to historical accuracy means that some "myths" are treated in a manner that some people might not find significant. The titular myth, for example, argues that Galileo was interrogated with the threat of torture, not with actual torture. Others "myths" seem like they'd be of wider interest to the reader, such as the debunking the claim that Darwin "renounced" evolution on his deathbed, that Newton proposed a clockwork universe, or that Descartes was a Dualist.

If the book has an agenda, it is probably to discredit the works of John William Draper, Andrew Dickson White, and Edward Gibbon in this field, as those names come up again and again as the prime source of, if not the inventors of, the historical inaccuracies discussed in the book.

The writing is fairly open and readable. If one firmly believes one of the "myths" discussed in the book, I doubt the book will change one's mind. Indeed, I am not sure in all cases that the essays contained in the book have got it right on their given topic. But it is a very good survey of the material.

Shee

• Sheeeeeeit
    • View Profile
« Reply #1325 on: August 20, 2009, 05:24:12 pm »
I HATE USAIN BOLT   :x :x :x :x

He needs to learn how to win with some class for crying out loud. 

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #1326 on: August 20, 2009, 08:05:56 pm »
And yet it moves.

Shee

• Sheeeeeeit
    • View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: August 21, 2009, 03:34:15 am »
Indeed...I can't argue with that speed...it is impressive.  Kills me to admit it, but yea he's got some wheels.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: August 21, 2009, 02:08:53 pm »
Meat.

It is so tasty! Particularly the beefed variety, and even more particularly the steaked variety of beef. There is something magical about a chunk of medium rare cow-flesh.

EDIT: Also: Mushrooms. And not the dubious ones either: the tasty ones are what I'm talkin' about, Willis.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 02:19:02 pm by Thought »

Zephira

• Bounty Hunter
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • You're not afraid of the dark, are you?...Are you?
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page
« Reply #1329 on: August 21, 2009, 05:32:36 pm »
Meat is the absolute best thing in the world. Life is not worth living without a good steak. I think we might have gone over this before, but I can honestly say that I would just drop dead if - for whatever reason - I was unable to eat meat ever again.

Uboa

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: August 21, 2009, 05:43:43 pm »
Hey!  Let's hear it for... lentils.

Anyone?  Anyone?  (Bueller?)

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: August 21, 2009, 06:03:16 pm »
Meh, sorry, I hate the texture of lentils. They are barely a step above lima beans, in my book.

Genetically engineered snorkel rice, on the other hand!

Let's hear it for SCIENCE!

Uboa

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: August 21, 2009, 06:23:07 pm »
Great!  Any advancement that promises more food for the world is always welcome.

I also found this article linked from that page:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/20/technology/personaltech/20pogue.html?ex=1266379200&en=259ea2ab8d0d85c0&ei=5087&WT.mc_id=TE-D-I-NYT-MOD-MOD-M111-ROS-0809-PH&WT.mc_ev=click

^Cameras that function sans-flash in low light.  (I clicked the link because I thought the guy jumping around in the related picture was Stephen Colbert.)

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: August 21, 2009, 09:33:31 pm »
Arrested Development, God rest it's soul.

Lakonthegreat

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • Love this community, and care for it as your own.
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #1334 on: August 21, 2009, 11:28:08 pm »
Arrested Development, God rest it's soul.

Jason Bateman is possibly one of the greatest actors of all time.

Favorite quote from this series, "Is there a gas leak in this house?"