Author Topic: Stuff you LOVE, baby  (Read 328558 times)

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
Re: Stuff you LOVE, baby
« Reply #1260 on: August 13, 2009, 01:55:09 pm »
Agreed, dogs and canids in general are fabulous.

In other news: Restaurant week, which here starts next week. 5 star dinning experiences for 30ish bucks? Booyah, grandma, booyah.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: August 13, 2009, 02:01:15 pm »

In other news: Restaurant week, which here starts next week. 5 star dinning experiences for 30ish bucks? Booyah, grandma, booyah.

They do something like that here in Seattle. The name changes from time to time, but last I checked it's called "30 for $30," meaning 30 restaurants are offering three-course meals for $30 apiece.

The food is good, but the portion sizes are very un-American!

IAmSerge

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: August 13, 2009, 02:03:14 pm »

They do something like that here in Seattle. The name changes from time to time, but last I checked it's called "30 for $30," meaning 30 restaurants are offering three-course meals for $30 apiece.

The food is good, but the portion sizes are very un-American!

THeres a 2 for $20 deal at Chilis, 2 meals, appetiser, and dessert.

Waay too much for $20, I know I shared one already!

I ordered a bacon burger, and in my togo box I put the entire burger (minus a few pieces of bacon that were priorly hanging off the edge =D )

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: August 13, 2009, 02:12:51 pm »
Ah, Chilis. They show up in the news sometimes because some of their dishes apparently have a day's worth of calories in them, causing anti-obesity heads to explode from coast to coast. Pop, pop, pop!

No Chilis in Seattle, though. The nearest one is some miles away. The cheapest places to eat in Seattle (if you exclude the usual fast food joints) are the places where you're already expected to spend a lot of money, like Costco or Ikea.

Zephira

• Bounty Hunter
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • You're not afraid of the dark, are you?...Are you?
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page
« Reply #1264 on: August 13, 2009, 02:17:46 pm »
Huh, I could've sworn there was a Chilis at Crossroads Mall. Not technically Seattle, but close enough.
Fatburger is a bit worse about the calories and price I'm afraid, but DAMN their food is delicious. Sadly, my family has some sort of grudge against the place, so I've only been there once.

IAmSerge

• View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: August 13, 2009, 02:19:30 pm »
Huh, I could've sworn there was a Chilis at Crossroads Mall. Not technically Seattle, but close enough.
Fatburger is a bit worse about the calories and price I'm afraid, but DAMN their food is delicious. Sadly, my family has some sort of grudge against the place, so I've only been there once.

My head itches... I'ma go take a shower.
...I just realized I slept naked. dammit.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: August 13, 2009, 02:24:42 pm »

Talk about a non-sequitur...

IAmSerge

• View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: August 13, 2009, 02:27:14 pm »

Talk about a non-sequitur...

Oh, my bad... I didn't realize I quoted her... *shrug*

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: August 13, 2009, 02:31:08 pm »
One of the only things I'll miss about Dallas when I move away is the restaurants: there are so many really good ones here. If anyone happens to pass through, I highly recommend St. Martins, Rise No 1, and Bijoux. The Champaign Brie Soup, Marshmallow Soup, and Risotto (respectively) are amazing.

I really should learn how to make risotto someday.

Zephira

• Bounty Hunter
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • You're not afraid of the dark, are you?...Are you?
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page
« Reply #1269 on: August 13, 2009, 02:37:09 pm »
If I ever go to Texas, I think the only restaurant I'll stop at is the one with the GIANT steaks. There aren't enough good steak places around here, at least not that I can find.

IAmSerge

• View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: August 13, 2009, 02:47:21 pm »
I honestly wouldn't know where to tell you to go!

Theres a place called texas roadhouse, which in its theme is basically a big insult to Texas, but I dunno my dad likes to eat there...
The irony is that it (thankfully) wasn't started in Texas, but in Indiana (if it was started in texas I would be having a stern talk with whoever created it!)

But I just looked up a map of its locales and the closest one seems to be in idaho, for you.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: August 13, 2009, 02:48:54 pm »
If I ever go to Texas, I think the only restaurant I'll stop at is the one with the GIANT steaks. There aren't enough good steak places around here, at least not that I can find.

Giant steaks are even better when they're GIANT steaks. =)

I don't know how far you are from Seattle, but I'm guessing it's far enough for Seattle not to qualify as "around here," because we have good steaks aplenty. Granted, there are not many dedicated steakhouses, but most of the seafood restaurants and ethnic western European restaurants I've been to will do a fine steak. Try The Brooklyn, my favorite restaurant in the city, on 2nd Avenue downtown at the ground level of the iconic Washington Mutual Tower.

IAmSerge

• View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: August 13, 2009, 02:51:26 pm »

Giant steaks are even better when they're GIANT steaks. =)

I don't know how far you are from Seattle, but I'm guessing it's far enough for Seattle not to qualify as "around here," because we have good steaks aplenty. Granted, there are not many dedicated steakhouses, but most of the seafood restaurants and ethnic western European restaurants I've been to will do a fine steak. Try The Brooklyn, my favorite restaurant in the city, on 2nd Avenue downtown at the ground level of the iconic Washington Mutual Tower.

You northerners and your seafoods...

...ah, well, its most def not as bad as New Englanders.... =D

If we are going to have a (verbal, not real!) war between different US factions, New Englanders would be my arch nemeses.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: August 13, 2009, 02:55:22 pm »
We can't help it about the seafood. Much of the nation's seafood passes through Seattle.

(Much, although I can't say "most," because I have no idea what the relative volumes are at the major West Coast ports.)

I gather that you're from one of those landlubber states. When the fish are fresh enough to snap back at you, it's probably a lot more appetizing than when they have to be trucked into town across over a thousand miles of desert and prairie, even if there is little or no real quality loss.

Salmon is on our state quarter. If you're coming to PAX I can show you the people at Pike Place Market who throw fish at one another.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: August 13, 2009, 03:07:05 pm »
Ruth's Chris Steakhouse. It's not a Texan original, but that just makes it better. If I recall correctly, their porterhouse for two is essentially 6 steaks in one (literally). There should be one in Seattle and Bevell... I mean, Bellevue.

Or if you happen to be in Fort Worth, the Reata is a Texan original and quite good (but ask for rooftop seating... unless it is raining). Though... I think they may be lacking GIANT steaks that are also giant.

Of course, a good steak really isn't that hard to make at home (and at home you can determine the giantness of your giant steak). Taco the Octopus gives a great introduction and several useful tips: http://www.8legged.com/ (it's under Deep Fried Live, "Steak!")

Regarding seafood, yeah, the west coast in general is amazing. Though for some reason I've never heard of soft shell crabs being a really big deal there. Hard shell crabs... mmm. The Crustacean's (in San Fran) one of the best, if I recall, for dungeness crab, and Moe's in Oregon is supposed to have some darn good chowder of the clammed persuasion (but I haven’t had it since I was 14ish, so I could totally be misremembering).

If you're coming to PAX I can show you the people at Pike Place Market who throw fish at one another.

The flying fishes of Pike's Place have become iconic around the country due to training videos. I recall the first time I heard of the place was at a Target in NorCal when I was 17.

EDIT: You know... maybe the forum needs a Foodee thread for this sort of delicious discussion.