Author Topic: Stuff you LOVE, baby  (Read 328434 times)

IAmSerge

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
Re: Stuff you LOVE, baby
« Reply #1020 on: July 02, 2009, 06:18:40 pm »
I love how I'm getting a 2nd interview =D

Shee

• Sheeeeeeit
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: July 02, 2009, 06:25:10 pm »
Kick ass in the interview!

Handed in my contract to my agent.  Gosh golly darn it feels good!  I too, love the Compendium.  While at times overwhelming, there's so much.  I love how it can hold a damn good strongly rooted debate as well as allow some time for nonsense.  And of course, the Chronoverse!

ZaichikArky

• Mystical Knight (+700)
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #1022 on: July 02, 2009, 06:29:13 pm »
I really like the lead singer from Soul Asylum- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BC8h-KvYEY . He's so hot. I usually do not like long hair on guys, but he's so hot and I'm not going to go into details here, but mrph :3. Too bad this song is at least 15 years old... I'm just going to keep up my fantasy and believe he looks exactly like how he does in that vid.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: July 02, 2009, 06:58:23 pm »
It may be overly traditional, and somewhat dissonant coming from a world-government advocate, but I love my country. For all its problems, I like the opportunities, the freedoms, and the stability here. But I notice that few people call July 4 "Independence Day." It's almost always "The Fourth of July (a day for fireworks, hamburgers, and soda)." Tsk tsk, neighbors! Until I see some powdered wigs and fifes, you're all on notice for being anti-American scumdogs!

Golly...I should really make sure I own or lease at least one American flag before saying that. Excuse me for a minute...

Zephira

• Bounty Hunter
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • You're not afraid of the dark, are you?...Are you?
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page
« Reply #1024 on: July 02, 2009, 07:17:12 pm »
Our flag is folded up in Dad's garage. He usually adorns the flagpole with red, white and blue christmas lights now.
And that's a really great idea. I want a powdered wig now. That's going on my list of things to do in the future: get a powdered wig, colonial dress and a fancy fancy fan, and dress up for a REAL Independence Day.

Yes, this country does have its problems, but I couldn't imagine living elsewhere. But what's really interesting is how the states are so distinct. While Oregon is so close to Washington, if feels completely different, like a different country altogether. The only other states I've been to are Hawaii, California and Colorado. All three of them were absolutely gorgeous, but way, WAY too warm for my liking. So in that vein of thought, WASHINGTON PRIDE, HELLS YEAH! Best state of them all!

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: July 02, 2009, 08:06:58 pm »
I am currently loving NOT having television.  No, that's not sarcasm, I feel like I'm waste so little time nowadays... Now if only I could get a grasp on my emotions...

Moving is quite refreshing.  It does things to you.

IAmSerge

• View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: July 03, 2009, 05:27:48 am »
Well it sure does change things up.
And thats what I love, Change.

Though this new back problem will be a problem for a while, I like the fact it makes the days a bit less ordinary, and it has added a sense of change to my life.  That, and being able to brag about it (which I try to refrain from usually, but I really want to!)

ZaichikArky

• Mystical Knight (+700)
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #1027 on: July 03, 2009, 06:57:52 am »
Our flag is folded up in Dad's garage. He usually adorns the flagpole with red, white and blue christmas lights now.
And that's a really great idea. I want a powdered wig now. That's going on my list of things to do in the future: get a powdered wig, colonial dress and a fancy fancy fan, and dress up for a REAL Independence Day.

Yes, this country does have its problems, but I couldn't imagine living elsewhere. But what's really interesting is how the states are so distinct. While Oregon is so close to Washington, if feels completely different, like a different country altogether. The only other states I've been to are Hawaii, California and Colorado. All three of them were absolutely gorgeous, but way, WAY too warm for my liking. So in that vein of thought, WASHINGTON PRIDE, HELLS YEAH! Best state of them all!

Depends on the part of the state. I used to live in Colorado and... you must have been visiting in the summer time XD;. A few weeks of the summer are hot, but the rest of the time, the rocky mountains manage to keep it pretty chilly...

Also, i bet that San Francisco is much colder than wherever you live. I hate the weather there. Most of the Bay Area is pretty cool... I've lived in various parts of it and in terms of weather, I like where I live best right now, San Jose. It really is the best environment for me. It's juuust enough inland to not be terrible like SF, but warm enough to be pleasant. There has only been one day this summer that has been hot... I guess it's cause it isn't August yet.  Unless you live in the southern hemisphere, no matter where you go in the world, I bet that August is the worst month ever. Ugh I hate it. I am so glad I won't be in Japan in another month. I don't think I could live through a 3rd August there >_>.

How is Oregon any more different than Washington? They seem completely identical to me XD;.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #1028 on: July 03, 2009, 07:12:26 am »
Washington is usually a more Democratic state for one. The main differences, I think, splinter from that fact.

ZaichikArky

• Mystical Knight (+700)
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #1029 on: July 03, 2009, 07:21:29 am »
Compared to Oregon being any less of one? >_>;

California is much more rightist than either of those two... but my part of it is still pretty democratic.

Zephira

• Bounty Hunter
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • You're not afraid of the dark, are you?...Are you?
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page
« Reply #1030 on: July 03, 2009, 03:13:40 pm »
The trees in Oregon are different. Here we have tons of Evergreens, so in fall and winter there are more green trees than dead trees. In Oregon, as soon as Fall hits, absolutely everything turns brown.

I've been to Colorado twice, both times in the summer. The first time we went to Grand Junction and Meeker, and we spent most of the time in a river because of the heat. The second time was a bit higher up, I think, though I can't remember the name of the city. It was around 100 degrees most of the time, but it snowed for one afternoon, then went straight back to 100.

I should probably explore the different states more. It's really interesting to see the differences.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: July 03, 2009, 07:25:11 pm »
I don't think "love" is the right word for my reaction to Sarah Palin's bizarre resignation announcement today, but I do take some pleasure at it. She is the culmination of religious conservatism as a political force, and her demise is representative of what their entire movement is undergoing. Good.

Delta Dragon

• Creative Emeritus
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: July 03, 2009, 07:50:56 pm »
I don't think "love" is the right word for my reaction to Sarah Palin's bizarre resignation announcement today, but I do take some pleasure at it. She is the culmination of religious conservatism as a political force, and her demise is representative of what their entire movement is undergoing. Good.
I'm not sure how reliable it was, it might just have been a rumor, but I heard she might be resigning to spend more time on campaigning for the next election. 

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #1033 on: July 03, 2009, 09:13:03 pm »
I've always seen Oregon as fairly populated by Republicans...That's how the state always votes in the elections anyways (or at least the ones I've seen)...Taxes are also different...higher sales in one while higher home in the other I believe...Or something, I know a lot of people choose to live in one and work in the other because of whichever taxes...

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: July 03, 2009, 09:46:46 pm »
I'm guessing you don't live in the Pacific Northwest, V. =)

You're on the right track, but you mangled the details. Both Washington and Oregon have some of the most liberal people in the country, but also some of the most conservative. In other words, we have some of the widest political spectra in the Union. There is also a high ratio of libertarians, who tend to be anti-government but will split on social issues.

In both states, the liberals outnumber the conservatives, and both states vote Democratic at both the state and federal level. This trend has evolved over the past twenty years as the Republican Party has completed dismantled its liberal wing.

As for the taxation thing: Oregon has no sales tax and Washington has no income tax. So if you live in Washington and shop in Oregon, you get a good deal. (And you get the worst deal if it's the other way around.) The number of southern Washingtonians who shop in Oregon isn't all that huge, however. It's not very convenient in terms of time, and for smaller purchases it isn't economical.

Oregon is mildly hotter than Washington, primarily because it is farther south. The University of Washington runs an excellent probabalistic forecast site where you can see this mild effect in action right now:

http://www.probcast.com/

The much bigger climatological divide, however, is between the west halves of the states and the east halves. The western halves of Washington, Oregon, and northern California are a marine climate--mild and wet; the only such climate in the nation. The eastern halves of the same are arid and much more extreme in summertime highs and winter lows.

This climatological divide also correlates to the population distribution: in all cases, the western halves are more populous. They're also more liberal, both in urban areas (duh) and even in rural areas.