Author Topic: Stuff you LOVE, baby  (Read 328502 times)

IAmSerge

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
Re: Stuff you LOVE, baby
« Reply #975 on: June 24, 2009, 03:00:16 pm »
^ Serge, I have no idea why you're bragging about that if you really were the last post.

First of all, T vs C is a VERY good game. I have played it a lot and it basically plays like Marvel vs Capcom. I guess the team decided to put together another game just like it because right now they don't have the rights to a lot of the old marvel characters. It's very easy to learn, even for beginners, and even though it's a little flashy, it's really good fun.

Don't knock it till you try it because it really is a great game and that along with SF IV is my favorite fighting game release these days...

Like I already told you in irc... I wasn't really knocking the game because I hated it.

I never have been able to enjoy the "fighting" genre.

I posted that to irk and bother all the noobs over at gamefaqs.

And also, if someone I respect likes it... I guess I have to give it some respect as well for that reason.

and BTW Despite how I am not a fan of fighting games... Would it be hypocritical to say I enjoyed SC 2 and 3 when they were out, and that SF IV is commonly played in my dorm? 

Zephira

• Bounty Hunter
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • You're not afraid of the dark, are you?...Are you?
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page
« Reply #976 on: June 24, 2009, 03:08:20 pm »
Yes :D

And on the subject of video games, I love Halo. I think my favourite moments in that series were the time I landed a Plasma Grenade dead center on my brother's faceplate so that it covered his whole screen, and the time I got double headshots through the window of a Warthog, using different Warthog's machine gun on a drive-by run.
Best thing about the series is its story and the novels written for it, especially Contact Harvest. AI love stories always win.

ZaichikArky

• Mystical Knight (+700)
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #977 on: June 24, 2009, 04:08:35 pm »
^ Serge, I have no idea why you're bragging about that if you really were the last post.

First of all, T vs C is a VERY good game. I have played it a lot and it basically plays like Marvel vs Capcom. I guess the team decided to put together another game just like it because right now they don't have the rights to a lot of the old marvel characters. It's very easy to learn, even for beginners, and even though it's a little flashy, it's really good fun.

Don't knock it till you try it because it really is a great game and that along with SF IV is my favorite fighting game release these days...

Like I already told you in irc... I wasn't really knocking the game because I hated it.

I never have been able to enjoy the "fighting" genre.

I posted that to irk and bother all the noobs over at gamefaqs.

And also, if someone I respect likes it... I guess I have to give it some respect as well for that reason.

and BTW Despite how I am not a fan of fighting games... Would it be hypocritical to say I enjoyed SC 2 and 3 when they were out, and that SF IV is commonly played in my dorm? 

It's fine. I guess it's another thing to hate all fighting games... even though you make your exceptions.

I try to say I hate all FPS... but there are some notable exceptions. Sorry, Zeph, Halo is not one of them XD.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: June 24, 2009, 04:31:22 pm »
I try to say I hate all FPS... but there are some notable exceptions. Sorry, Zeph, Halo is not one of them XD.

Agreed, except I do like rail shooters, like Area 51 (the arcade game with the pink and the blue guns), House of the Dead 2&3, Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles, etc.

Basically if I control the movement, I don't like it. I get dizzy when I spin around and I get lost cause a lot of 3-D texturing looks the same to me. Especially in WWII games. EVERYTHING IS BROWN. The enemy, the guns, the trees, the ground, the sky, the buildings. It's not realistic, it's confusing.

And 007 Goldeneye was fun. But made me feel sick if I played for more than an hour or so.

ZaichikArky

• Mystical Knight (+700)
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #979 on: June 24, 2009, 04:44:34 pm »
I love area 51 too! I mean, it's pretty simplistic and minimal as far as FPS go, but arcade FPS are so much funner cause you get a real gun. Once a friend of mine and I beat Time Splinters 4 at the arcade. It took us over an hour, but I wouldn't have agreed if it had been on the home console.

Also, earlier FPS are better than anything they make these days... Oldskool Wolfenstein and Doom...

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: June 24, 2009, 10:42:33 pm »
Dear The Entire Republican Party and the Religious Right:

The only thing more humiliating than being wrong about everything is being stubbornly wrong about everything, and the only thing more humiliating than being stubbornly wrong about everything is being hypocritically stubbornly wrong about everything. Thank you for taking the time to remind us, on nearly a weekly basis, that "family values" is not only a crock: it's not even something you take seriously in your own lives.

Hugs and kisses,

Lord J, Esquire

IAmSerge

• View Profile
« Reply #981 on: June 25, 2009, 12:12:57 am »
Dear The Entire Republican Party and the Religious Right:

The only thing more humiliating than being wrong about everything is being stubbornly wrong about everything, and the only thing more humiliating than being stubbornly wrong about everything is being hypocritically stubbornly wrong about everything. Thank you for taking the time to remind us, on nearly a weekly basis, that "family values" is not only a crock: it's not even something you take seriously in your own lives.

Hugs and kisses,

Lord J, Esquire

Dear Lord J, Esquire,

Thank you for stereotyping almost half of the entire United States, myself included.

Hugs and kisses,

Serge

Shee

• Sheeeeeeit
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: June 25, 2009, 12:32:49 am »
Dude's got a point.  It is...and always will be... a two way street.  Neither Party is in a state of groupthink I would say.

IAmSerge

• View Profile
« Reply #983 on: June 25, 2009, 12:38:38 am »
odam, how did I not see his link there earlier?

also... a more appropriate (yet STILL not perfect) definition of a hypocrite is someone who goes against something that they believe and testify and doesn't feel remorse afterwards.

Its not perfect because it gives too much liniency, while the other way to define a hypocrite would just be all-encompasing.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: June 25, 2009, 01:36:55 am »
...the other way to define a hypocrite would just be all-encompasing.

I disagree with you. The religious elements of the Republican Party have gone out of their way to establish themselves as the "family values" crowd. That's the reputation they've made for themselves, which they have used to claim they have a higher standard than other people. So, when their leaders get caught in these ridiculous scandals--Foley, Vitter, Craig, Ensign, Gingrich, Sanford, etc.--their values are exposed as fraudulent and they get burned in a way that other people don't. That extra burn is the sting of hypocrisy. The only possible alternative is that they are outright liars, which would make them look even worse.

Ordinary religious conservatives have the same problem; they're just too anonymous to get their picture in the news whenever something like this happens.

Religious conservatives aren't the only people who cheat on their spouses, but they are the only large group with the temerity to portray themselves as paragons of virtue while they're busy violating those same values they claim to honor. They insist on this myth that "people of faith" (i.e., right-wing Christian evangelicals) are more virtuous than the rest of us. By doing so, they set themselves up to be hoisted by their own petards when reality proves them wrong.

The real Serge would never hitch himself to their wagon. Maybe you're just unhappy with me for not making some kind of disclaimer to the effect of "not all religious conservatives are hypocrites." Very well: not all are. Better than that, I cannot and will not concede to you. The Sanfords of the world make their own choices every day. I am merely a witness to their hypocrisy. I happen to be a person of strong principles, and it disgusts me when people claim to be something other than what they are, especially when they do so willfully for the purpose of advancing their power and prestige. He was setting himself up to run for president. You bet that we would have heard that "family values" drivel from him until our ears bled. But obviously he wanted to have an affair more than he wanted to be president, and this time justice was served. Good. If you're a religious conservative yourself, maybe you can learn something about what not to do with your life.

IAmSerge

• View Profile
« Reply #985 on: June 25, 2009, 02:44:20 am »
their values are exposed as fraudulent and they get burned in a way that other people don't. That extra burn is the sting of hypocrisy.

I agree that it exposes their hypocricy.  It is hypocritical to say one thing and do another (but really, dont ALL politicians do this at one time or another? (I am not sticking up to them having done that, just saying they do))

However the values that they preach may not be all that fraudulant and bad.  I mean, if someone preaches not to commit adultry, then does it themselves, does it mean that what they originally said is wrong?  How about not lying?  Or cheating?  But I do think that the values that they hold themselves to personally on the inside would be exposed as not good values, and not as good as the ones they try to display.

I can assure you 100% that I try to hold myself up to values... and I can assure you 100% that I fail at it on a normal basis.  However... I almost always feel remorse about what I have done wrong...  And I also know that I will continue to get things wrong.  Is that any different than most people?  People trying to do the right thing, but still alot of times fail, or let other things get in the way of that?

Ordinary religious conservatives have the same problem; they're just too anonymous to get their picture in the news whenever something like this happens
I am not sure I understand what you mean by this... but I do know that I, myself, and my friends will stand appauled at these actions every time we hear of them.  If not openly, then atleast on the inside. 

The (one of the) probable ( <- spell check?) reasons that they don't really get themselves into the news or step in to stand up is because no one really feels the need, they think its not a big deal in comparison to alot of other things going on around the world, etc. 

Excuses, excuses, it may be said, but still, having someone go up there and make a stand and a big speech about it will just get it even more unneccessary press.  Most people agree that things like this should die out, not be prolonged for months.  I mean, if it was an ongoing thing with constant coverage, then sure prolong it, and make a stand... but usually they just let these things die off...

Atleast thats the way I see it.

Religious conservatives aren't the only people who cheat on their spouses, but they are the only large group with the temerity to portray themselves as paragons of virtue while they're busy violating those same values they claim to honor. They insist on this myth that "people of faith" (i.e., right-wing Christian evangelicals) are more virtuous than the rest of us. By doing so, they set themselves up to be hoisted by their own petards when reality proves them wrong.

That would be the stereotypical viewpoint.  I can assure you as well that the stereotypical viewpoint, from THEIR view, is that athiests are just a bunch of chaos-loving anarchists wanting to kill God.

let me put it simple because I am getting sick of typing ( =D ):
I have values, you have values, we all have values.  The difference between the average person standing in the left or the right isn't the values they have.
However because of difference of opinion on how to achieve these values and political and social "nirvanas", so to speak, is what distorts each side's view of eachother. 

The real Serge would never hitch himself to their wagon. Maybe you're just unhappy with me for not making some kind of disclaimer to the effect of "not all religious conservatives are hypocrites." Very well: not all are. Better than that, I cannot and will not concede to you. The Sanfords of the world make their own choices every day. I am merely a witness to their hypocrisy. I happen to be a person of strong principles, and it disgusts me when people claim to be something other than what they are, especially when they do so willfully for the purpose of advancing their power and prestige. He was setting himself up to run for president. You bet that we would have heard that "family values" drivel from him until our ears bled. But obviously he wanted to have an affair more than he wanted to be president, and this time justice was served. Good. If you're a religious conservative yourself, maybe you can learn something about what not to do with your life.
The way I see it... Politics (and politicians) is a bitch. 

The worst thing about politics is that the wrongs that occur in the lives of the politicians are then put togethor and seen as social misbehaviors of their entire party and its purveyors. 

Politicians are often known to be scheming and lying bastards that have alterior motives... so Its no suprise to me that they would do something like that.

I would bet that just as many politicians on the left cheat as much or similar to those on the right.

However, what sets the right apart from the left is that most of the people in the right are Christian in contrast to the left.

The problem TRULY comes from the stereotypical outside view of Christians being "stuck up condemning bastards who think they're better than everyone else", which often comes from the kind of rare "Christian" that goes to and protest soldier's funerals by blaming it on homosexuals.  I don't associate myself with those people, and I don't even associate my beliefs to theirs, because honestly I don't understand how anyone could fuck up the Bible so much to believe something like that.  Or atleast, not without also believing some sort of other chaotic beliefs.  (You can't misinterpert and misuse THAT MUCH of it without misinterperting ALOT of other parts of it as well).

If you wish to know... I'm pretty sure I don't really know any of those kinds of people...

The stereotypical view of Christians as being the stuck-up so-called moralistic people is what causes the media to focus upon all of the transgressions of the right much more than that of the left.  The media might not even be doing it because they want to insult the right, or the religion, but just even for the drama and the ratings, or maybe even just for the hell of it!

Look... I'm not saying I stick up for that guy's actions (I don't, at all).  And I'm not trying to be like "d00d im rite and this is y!".

I'm just trying to... I don't know... I guess I could be trying to show you who I am, who my friends are, and what I believe, I don't know...
I mean... I think you understand what I am saying... right?

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: June 25, 2009, 01:12:53 pm »
Politicians are often known to be scheming and lying bastards that have alterior motives... so Its no suprise to me that they would do something like that.

Jon Stewart said Sanford is "just another politician with a conservative mind and a liberal penis."

I love Jon Stewart.

Zelbess

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: June 26, 2009, 10:48:39 am »
Right now, I am loving the fact I finally had the guts to leave a forum I had been at for awhile; I was a moderator there. The place had such a negative atmosphere, vitriolic members and probably the most inept administration team ever assembled. I felt obligated to stay there because of my position, but I finally realized there's no point being at a place that you get no pleasure from. It's been a great load off of my back. :) Loving the freedom!

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: June 26, 2009, 11:10:55 am »
I was a moderator there.

People don't understand how much work goes into something like that until they've been one, so major kudos to you for having taken up the job in the first place. And of course, double-so for having the guts to put it down again when you needed to.

And on the topic of things we love:

Blind Guardian

Currently I'm lovin' their Twist in the Myth album.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 06:34:58 pm by Thought »

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #989 on: June 26, 2009, 06:21:23 pm »
And on the topic of things we love:

Blind Guardian

Currently I'm lovin' there Twist in the Myth album.

Quoted for truth. Any idea if they're gonna be touring the States anytime soon?