Author Topic: Stuff you LOVE, baby  (Read 328443 times)

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
Re: Stuff you LOVE, baby
« Reply #840 on: April 29, 2009, 03:49:42 am »
I didn't get the feeling that he was falling in love with his ex-wife...just that he was willing to get together or w/e so they could raise their kid.

I mostly agree with the Hiro & Ando thing...That was especially apparent when they were dealing with the speedster, but it's sort of changed...now they're trying hard to make Ando cool and his own character rather than just the guy who hangs around Hiro...Hiro is cool. Ando is not, no matter how hard they try to make him one of the Heroes. I don't even understand his stupid power.

Asafigow

• Guardian (+100)
  • It's the middle of the story, go crazy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: April 29, 2009, 10:57:36 am »
Ando is basically an ultra battery. He can super charge other peoples powers just by touching them and can also shoot lightning. He's just doing what anyother little kid would do if they got super powers. He'll freak out at first, then go wild over them(which he's doing right now), but since he's an adult he'll eventually get seriuos.

RedNeckJiuJitsu

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: April 29, 2009, 05:13:35 pm »
I agree that Heroes did go downhill a little bit after season 1, but given that season 2 had David Anders in it (an Alias alum), I'm more inclined to like it. Same with Greg Grunberg's character of Parkman... Having said that, I need to catch up. Last episode I watched was "Our Father" in mid-season...

Also, I also love that my GOOD copy of CTDS came in the mail today. I'm pretty sure I won't have the save data corruption problem I had on the first one, especially since there's already a save game with characters at about level 70. I was tempted to do a new game plus, especially since I just played through a new game on the SNES Emu Coliseum hack, but decided not to.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 05:17:23 pm by RedNeckJiuJitsu »

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: April 30, 2009, 02:21:22 am »
I love Patrick Stewart. He is easily one of the great thespians of our day. Maybe I'm biased, because he'll always be Picard to me.

As I watched him in "Darmok" last night, watched him comprehend the story of Darmok and Jilad, I was touched. When, in his moment of realization at the story's end, he says, "They left together," in my mind it was one of the great moments in television. Not just TNG, but all television...and I've seen my share. For that matter, I imagine it was one of the great moments in Picard's life, perhaps not appreciated exactly then, but certain to be remembered forever afterward.

More than the lion's share of the excellence of that moment is due to Patrick Stewart's acting. He's so damn good. He outshines everyone on the stage or on the screen with him. Many real people seem less human than some of his characters. He can act better than many of us can be ourselves. My hat goes off to him. He's something special.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: April 30, 2009, 12:09:42 pm »
Firefly is one of the best shows ever. It knocks off Farscape & Red Dwarf from the top of the sci-fi pile for me (where Farscape previously knocked off TNG) and tons of other shows from the top tv show pile itself. Just brilliant, outstanding & well-crafted all-around. I even love the theme song! Great cast too...even some really good guest stars...such good characters. Cut down in its prime...

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: April 30, 2009, 12:22:21 pm »
Firefly is one of the best shows ever. It knocks off Farscape & Red Dwarf from the top of the sci-fi pile for me (where Farscape previously knocked off TNG) and tons of other shows from the top tv show pile itself. Just brilliant, outstanding & well-crafted all-around. I even love the theme song! Great cast too...even some really good guest stars...such good characters. Cut down in its prime...

I hate that theme song. That's the only think I wish would go. That, and Simon being a prude.
"Bang her!" - me yelling at tv.  :)

(thankfully, they made Serenity, which did away with both these things, and created a good stand-alone story for people who never even saw the show, while rounding out everyone's continued stories and giving closure for the most part. Let's get some picket-signs for Serenity 2!!!)

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: April 30, 2009, 12:34:37 pm »
No way, you can't beat a good fiddle & acoustic guitar...it can't be done. :lol: The music for the whole series was really stand-out, actually.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: April 30, 2009, 12:46:57 pm »
I loved the music for the whole series, except the theme song. Take away the vocals and I'm sold.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: April 30, 2009, 01:04:32 pm »
What? Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal! The Ballad of Serenity is one of TV's best theme songs; I can't imagine it being sung much better than what Sonny Rhodes did.

To note, Simon's character wasn't so much a prude as... noble, in an obsessively creepy sort of way. He was focused on saving his sister, there just wasn't time to think about sex. Banging Kaylee would have totally been unearned and out of character. Besides, it created some wonderful tension that made the implied off-screen resolution all the better.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: April 30, 2009, 01:24:04 pm »
What? Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!
HAHAHA! :D

To note, Simon's character wasn't so much a prude as... noble, in an obsessively creepy sort of way. He was focused on saving his sister, there just wasn't time to think about sex. Banging Kaylee would have totally been unearned and out of character. Besides, it created some wonderful tension that made the implied off-screen resolution all the better.
True, it would have screwed up the dynamic of the entire show, but it made him a wuss.  :lol: It's just my inner fanboy talking.

Also, I don't like the actress that plays Inara. Because of the nature of her character, she is kind of half sexual deviant and half noblewoman, and I don't think the actress interpreted that correctly. She's supposed to be badass and seductive and secretive, but instead she is kind of proper-and-boring-unless-it-comes-to-being-paid-for-sex-in-which-case-I'm-a-closet-freak-ish. I don't think it hurts the show much, but I seek out stuff Nathan Fillion has been in (Dr. Horrible is fanTAStic btw), and the guy who plays Wash is in a bunch of movies, and is very charming. Jewel Staite is absolutely gorgeous and I've loved every role I've seen her play (including Flash Forward, Space Cases, and a random Are You Afraid of the Dark episode). Obviously Summer Glau is incredible. I would never look for anything else that the Inara actress has been in. She just doesn't impress me as much as everybody else.

EDIT: I love The Colbert Report! "SARS is so two years ago, I wouldn't be caught DEAD with it!"
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 04:21:59 am by Mr Bekkler »

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #850 on: May 04, 2009, 12:50:38 pm »
Dogs; I could probably wax psuedo-poetically about the relationship between a dog and its owner, but I suppose first and foremost in my mind currently is that dogs bring a much-needed degree of simplicity into modern life.

Also, Hugh Jackman and Liev Schreiber. Their acting and roles in the new X-Men movie was quite entertaining to watch.

EDIT: And I should add Alan Tudyk. He's an actor that can believable go from happy-harmless-crazy to psycho-killer-crazy in 3 seconds flat.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 03:46:09 pm by Thought »

KebreI

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: May 08, 2009, 02:09:50 am »
I just saw Star Trek a few minutes ago. I was greatly surprised with how good it was, and I was already expecting it to be good. I'll put this and Watchmen as the best this year so far, hell past several years.

Belaith

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • I ain't never scared
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: May 08, 2009, 03:00:55 am »
I love my girlfriend. She has a penis. I has a penis. We has so much in common.

KebreI

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: May 08, 2009, 03:02:54 am »
I lot of your recent post have involved penises. Some things are starting to make sense now.

Belaith

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • I ain't never scared
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: May 08, 2009, 03:11:12 am »
It's because penis is a very interesting word. Cunt wasping the forums is frowned upon so penis'll do.