Author Topic: Stuff you LOVE, baby  (Read 328413 times)

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
Re: Stuff you LOVE, baby
« Reply #705 on: March 13, 2009, 02:24:12 am »
You hadn't? I used to make peanut butter and nutella sandwiches for lunch. Good stuff.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: March 13, 2009, 02:47:35 am »
I love chocolate and hazelnut, so this was a good bet, but I'm surprised at how un-peanut-butter-like it is. It's like eating pure candy. I betcha sales are up, given the economy and the peanut people's problems. I noticed at the store that Nutella seems to be a WIC-approved food.

idioticidioms

« Reply #707 on: March 13, 2009, 02:51:57 am »
know what I love? I love life. Yup, that's right. Life is great.

teaflower

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Dreams are the gateway to reality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: March 13, 2009, 03:56:55 pm »
:lee: Nutella  :lee:

I can't believe I never tried this stuff before today.
You don't know what you have been missing, my friend. Nutella is a glorious glorious thing. Mix it up with peanut butter and you are in whatever form of heaven you believe in. Great for spreading, mixing with peanut butter, dipping stuff in, or just eating when you're depressed.

I love my stupid, stupid cat Rosie. She does the stupidest yet cutest stuff I've ever seen a living thing do. Like scooting random objects across the floor with her front paws for fun. Then freaking out when she loses them.

Uboa

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: March 13, 2009, 08:38:37 pm »
This is pretty cool!  I just found out that a Yasunori Mitsuda station exists on pandora.com.  Time will tell if it is any good.

FouCapitan

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • Whatever it is, I'm against it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: March 16, 2009, 04:53:59 am »
I love finding rare things.

Today at work, I was counting out of my cash register, and came upon a very rusted, banged up penny.  One thing that really caught my eye was the absence of the familiar Abraham Lincoln on the front.

Usually this turns out to be Canadian, or in one case British money.  But looking closer I see "United States of America" faintly legible on the side of an indian head.

So I just happen to have an 1898 penny now.  Really crummy condition, so the value can't be that high, but still quite a gem to find considering it's the oldest coin I've ever seen in my life.

Can you imagine all the things this one coin has seen in 111 years?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 04:56:19 am by FouCapitan »

teaflower

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Dreams are the gateway to reality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: March 16, 2009, 10:17:15 am »
Wow... looking at that picture, you can actually see that the little nubby things on the sides were probably made by hand, considering they aren't exactly even. Kind of like how you can tell the really old blocks from the quarry from the newer ones. The old ones aren't perfectly even and just seem to be carved in there by someone with a little too much time, while the new ones are MACHINE MADE THUS ARE PERFECT ALMOST.

Check out the value before you decide it's valueless. You never know what a really old penny could be worth.

I love going on adventures. I just adventured my way up to the third floor of the school to deliver a basket of stuff from the English department to my Journalism teacher, who ironicly put the whole thing together. Still quite the adventure, though.

FouCapitan

• View Profile
« Reply #712 on: March 16, 2009, 03:25:04 pm »
I did check tea.  A mint penny from that date (Less than a handfull prolly exist) would auction for thousands.  Near mint conditions for up to a couple hundred.  Circulated fair condition coins would fetch up to $20 on E-bay.  Mine would prolly be lucky to fetch up to $5 in it's condition.

But ya know, to me the condition of this coin is far more interesting than mint red coins from that date.  My coin has obviously been through thousands of pockets over the last century, and who knows what has happened to it from then and now.  What has a mint coin seen save but the back of a bank vault for all its life?

KebreI

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: March 16, 2009, 03:30:24 pm »

Twelve hookers, a river bed, and the bottom of some kid's shoe I'll wager.

FouCapitan

• View Profile
« Reply #714 on: March 16, 2009, 03:45:02 pm »

Twelve hookers, a river bed, and the bottom of some kid's shoe I'll wager.

There you go, crushing my dreams of fanciful adventure for this cent.

Wait, what hookers take pennies?  Seriously, I must know this.   :shock:

Delta Dragon

• Creative Emeritus
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: March 16, 2009, 04:22:38 pm »
I love finding rare things.

Today at work, I was counting out of my cash register, and came upon a very rusted, banged up penny.  One thing that really caught my eye was the absence of the familiar Abraham Lincoln on the front.

Usually this turns out to be Canadian, or in one case British money.  But looking closer I see "United States of America" faintly legible on the side of an indian head.

So I just happen to have an 1898 penny now.  Really crummy condition, so the value can't be that high, but still quite a gem to find considering it's the oldest coin I've ever seen in my life.

Wow.  And I thought it was weird that I have 2 or 3 pennies from like the 1940s that have a different back.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: March 16, 2009, 04:28:02 pm »
The oldest coin I have is an 1943 one. My brother beats me with his 1940 one.

And I'm sure my grandmother has one (or even more) that is from the 1800's. But until I know for sure, that 1898 is the oldest one I have ever seen.

placidchap

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: March 16, 2009, 04:29:38 pm »
i used to collect them...went for one from each year...and from different locations (they have a small letter on them...I think it had to do with where it was made)...I had quite a collection...don't know what happened to them though...but I am sure they are still around at my parent's house...was fun for a while...obviously not too long since I haven't thought about it in 10 years

Zephira

• Bounty Hunter
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • You're not afraid of the dark, are you?...Are you?
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page
« Reply #718 on: March 16, 2009, 04:42:34 pm »
Most coins have either a P (for Philadelphia) or a D (I think for Delaware, not sure) on them. This stands for where they were minted.
I like collecting coins. I have a few bicentennial quarters and some new dollar coins hiding out somewhere. My family is also collecting the state quarters. Those are a bit hard to stock up on, since I snag all the quarters I can find to take the bus to school, but we've got a good set going.
My favourite coin I've seen is a carved quarter; everything has been carved out of it except for "In God We Trust", "United States of America", and the outline of the portrait. I think those are the only details needed for it to still be legal tender, despite the big gaping hole where the rest of the metal should be.

FouCapitan

• View Profile
« Reply #719 on: March 16, 2009, 05:26:28 pm »
Most coins have either a P (for Philadelphia) or a D (I think for Delaware, not sure) on them. This stands for where they were minted.
There are three coin mints in the US.  D is for Denver, P or blank minted coins are from Philadelphia, and S is from San Fransisco.

I think the locations were chosen for easier distribution to east west and central zones of America.