Author Topic: Stuff you LOVE, baby  (Read 328773 times)

chrono eric

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
Re: Stuff you LOVE, baby
« Reply #570 on: February 04, 2009, 12:35:51 am »
101 will put hair on your chest.  It will.

Moonshine will put hair on your chest. That is the most foul shit I have ever tasted in my entire life.

Absinthe... yum.  Very "herbish" tasting, but different and pleasant none-the-less.  However, I couldn't drink it too often.

The one time I had the opportunity to try Absinthe I was roundly disappointed. I typically am not too fond of alcohol in high doses, and when I drink it is in great moderation, but the famed hallucinogenic properties of Absinthe due to the chemical thujone intrigued me so I imbibed quite a bit. But all I got was wasted. I can't figure out where this myth came from upon researching it more, but I imagine that Vincent van Gogh being balls crazy and also drinking absinthe regularly probably contributed to it.

So, I most certaintly do not love Absinthe. But I do enjoy Wild Turkey 101  :D I'm not sure if I would call it the best out there though. That's going a bit far.

KebreI

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: February 04, 2009, 12:39:36 am »
Absinthe, got the Green fairy effect due to a mix of impurities in the distillation process(you can imagine how bad the could be) as well as it often being taken with a plethora of other hallucinogenics.

chrono eric

• View Profile
« Reply #572 on: February 04, 2009, 12:51:20 am »
Last I read, tests on Absinthe using historical recipes and methods turned up no such psychoactive chemicals or impurities, beyond alcohol and thujone which are both GABA receptor agonists. As such, I'm extremely skeptical of claims such as that.

However, it is true that people used to mix all sorts of psychoactive chemicals together back in the day before they were made illegal. But not many were hallucinogenic. And even in that case, why would they attribute the specific psychoactive effects to absinthe and not to the obvious mixture that they were taking? That doesn't make sense to me either.

Unless the old production and storage techniques somehow caused contamination with Ergot fungus and lysergic acid...but that is stretching it big time. Oh well, I guess we'll never know.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 12:58:01 am by chrono eric »

Prince Janus

• Mystical Knight (+700)
  • What?? what do you want?
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: February 04, 2009, 01:14:17 am »
 I seem to recall hearing in a Art appreciation lecture that Absinthe had a very damaging effect on the brain. Moreso than most alchohol.

Shee

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
  • Sheeeeeeit
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: February 04, 2009, 03:08:18 am »
I'm pretty sure I sweat Patron.   8)

Wild Turkey is tasty shit.  I love pretty much all whiskies and vodkas.  Yes, EVEN Kentucky Gentleman.  No one has ever drank a ton of that crap and wound up acting like a Gentleman.  I probably only like it for that joke.

I drank Absinthe once at a 4th of July party.  I was already....not....sober....so I couldn't tell ya that much about it, but it didn't taste as turrible as I had been told.

FouCapitan

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • Whatever it is, I'm against it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: February 04, 2009, 04:06:00 am »
The myths around absinthe are amusing, to say the least.  Most claims of it being a hallucinogen stem from 19th century research FFS.  Most people who believe it causes hallucinations nowadays are hippies, stoners, ravers, and other such daredevil lifestyle types who are probably so brain fried that they can't tell reality from hallucinations even when sober.

Anyways, as far as favorite hard drinks go, I have to say a good mudslide is quite a treat.  Of course, I like my liquers.  Nothing like a good dose of sugar while you're getting smashed.

Also, line up shots of tequila and I can prolly drink anyone here under the table.  Love El Cazadores.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 04:13:43 am by FouCapitan »

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: February 04, 2009, 05:45:38 am »
Back in my days of alcoholism, I used to mix tequila and vodka.

Tastes funny at first, but it grows on ya.

idioticidioms

« Reply #577 on: February 04, 2009, 07:38:38 am »
so does fungus. enough said.

chrono eric

• View Profile
« Reply #578 on: February 04, 2009, 03:00:46 pm »
Most people who believe it causes hallucinations nowadays are hippies, stoners, ravers, and other such daredevil lifestyle types who are probably so brain fried that they can't tell reality from hallucinations even when sober.

I hate assholes like that, taking random things in clubs when they don't even know what it really is. Irresponsible.

I gave Absinthe the benefit of the doubt, but I shouldn't have. Everytime I hear somebody at a party talking about how cool Absinthe is and how much they "tripped" on it when they backpacked across Europe to "find themselves" I just laugh.

Has any of you ever tasted the deliciousness which is Glenlivet single malt scotch whiskey? Probably my favorite.

idioticidioms

« Reply #579 on: February 04, 2009, 03:03:33 pm »
good thing you hate them, as most die early from stupidity, anyway.

chrono eric

• View Profile
« Reply #580 on: February 04, 2009, 03:08:00 pm »
I once met a loser raver kid who claimed that he dropped 10 MDMA pills a night for over a month. Most definitely an exaggeration, but if he did it even half as frequent as that he would be in for some serious neurological damage, especially considering that more than likely they were really meth and not MDMA which is largely harmless (but not if done every friggin' night).

I know of at least 2 of those kids that I went to high school with that are dead already, but it was always from mixed drug intoxication which is even more foolish than abusing club drugs regularly. One girl I know survived a heroin OD and is luckily clean now. We'll see how long that lasts. I'll never understand why people willfully do that to themselves. For one of them, I don't think he realized that mixing alcohol with prescription painkillers is a recipe for death. But then again, he wasn't the brightest light on the Christmas tree in the first place.

Another thing I love: Gobstoppers. Gobstoppers, Starbursts, and Reeces peanut butter cups are the holy trinity of delicious candy.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 03:26:37 pm by chrono eric »

FouCapitan

• View Profile
« Reply #581 on: February 04, 2009, 04:02:19 pm »
I'll never understand why people willfully do that to themselves.
Most don't have any light in their own lives that they can see.  They take the feel good sensations drugs give them, over feel good sensations life can offer.

Even I, a guy who enjoys drinking a lot, can't see the point of doing it daily.  It's a social thing for me.  Get a good buzz going, chat it up with friends.

ONSLAUGHT

• Springtime of Youth
  • Crono + Panda = WTF Run!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: February 04, 2009, 04:49:18 pm »
Um, Darkman said there was something I should really be a part of over here... not seeing anything. Help from Shadow? Or anyone who might know what he's talking about?

FouCapitan

• View Profile
« Reply #583 on: February 04, 2009, 04:52:38 pm »
Um, Darkman said there was something I should really be a part of over here... not seeing anything. Help from Shadow? Or anyone who might know what he's talking about?
Probably referring to Zeality calling up a vote of ban/keep for him here.  So far it's heavy into keeping him around.  (2-9 or something thereabouts.)

teaflower

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Dreams are the gateway to reality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: February 04, 2009, 04:53:30 pm »
There's something going on around here about Shadow getting banned. You want him gone?

You know what I love? ... I dunno what I love. What do I love, guys?

If anyone says Brandon, I'll hunt them down and castrate them with a plastic spoon. And if you're female, I'll do other horrible things to you with said plastic spoon.