Author Topic: Stuff you LOVE, baby  (Read 328808 times)

BROJ

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
Re: Stuff you LOVE, baby
« Reply #150 on: July 30, 2008, 05:28:16 pm »
I just don't see the point in spending $50 for a game that is essentially a collection of small minigames, which is mostly what Nintendo's been putting out for the past few years. Now, FFIV or CTDS, Those are games that have a story and valuable gameplay. Warioware, Brain Age, Nintendogs, and stuff like that don't constitute their price to me.
Keep in mind, I'm not arguing from a POV of pro or con of pirating; but perhaps it's that not enough people have been showing their patronage to the 'right'(right being a matter of opinion) kind of games. Remember that logically every purchase is insofar a vote in what the company should do next in terms of products and software as a service.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 30, 2008, 06:08:18 pm »
I just don't see the point in spending $50 for a game that is essentially a collection of small minigames, which is mostly what Nintendo's been putting out for the past few years. Now, FFIV or CTDS, Those are games that have a story and valuable gameplay. Warioware, Brain Age, Nintendogs, and stuff like that don't constitute their price to me.

You don't see "the point"? The point is quite simple, one pays money to own a game that one likes and to enjoy it! Someone paying $50 for a collection of mini-games is effectively no different than you paying $50 for CTDS. It is all about having fun and enjoyment.

Lakonthegreat

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • Love this community, and care for it as your own.
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #152 on: July 30, 2008, 08:50:56 pm »
Well, for guys that live on a limited income like me, I feel that it's not bad to spend $250 at one time and not spend another dime on the thing. I like the games I play, I just can't afford them. Same thing with music. I like a lot of music, and it's just too expensive for me to go out and buy tons of CD's.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #153 on: July 30, 2008, 10:26:08 pm »

Well then, maybe avoid the mini-game games...? This sounds like an argument of game lineups...which, I must say, is uninformed. The DS has a great lineup outside of such games as Brain Age (which is a good alternative game) & Nintendogs...I'm looking forward to a lot of the upcoming RPGs coming for the DS, myself...There are FOUR Dragon Quests coming out (though, admittedly 3 are remakes, but they certainly look pretty enough), a port of the original Disgaea (which I never got to play), a new Kingdom Hearts game, a new Valkyrie Profile game, and, of course, Chrono Trigger...and that's mostly all just counting Square-Enix (all except Disgaea)!

FFTA2, FFIV & The World Ends With You are 3 other good SE RPGs already available for DS...

I've also heard good things about Etrian's Odyssey (which I believe the sequel is coming out soon) & the Zelda (Fuck yeah, 2D Zelda FTW!!)...

And there's always the Pokémon games...

If you're gonna emu, you should know that there ARE good games for it...Games worth buying, I think. I think it's getting just as good as the amazing GBA lineup was...

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #154 on: July 30, 2008, 11:00:46 pm »
Well, for guys that live on a limited income like me, I feel that it's not bad to spend $250 at one time and not spend another dime on the thing. I like the games I play, I just can't afford them. Same thing with music. I like a lot of music, and it's just too expensive for me to go out and buy tons of CD's.

Why does your limited income justify acquiring illegally that which is beyond your means?

BROJ

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 30, 2008, 11:12:39 pm »
Bleh... This is getting too dichotomized for my tastes. I'm out until further notice...

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 31, 2008, 03:47:57 am »

Why does your limited income justify acquiring illegally that which is beyond your means?

I think that while it's important for any artist to acquire moneys for their work so they can, y'know, continue to survive & create...BUT I think that another (possibly the main) aspect of an artist's work is just spreading their creation; getting exposure & sharing their ideas...

placidchap

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 31, 2008, 10:16:40 am »

Companies would just as soon cheat you, if it made an extra buck.  That's not to say one shouldn't support the creators/artists/etc.  Even though I don't like the music of Radiohead, they did it right with that whole name your price deal.  Their music is not worth the same to everyone, so why should every one have to pay the same price?  Course it should be up to the artist to price their product, "name your price" is just one solution to cutting out the fat middle men.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 31, 2008, 01:01:39 pm »
Companies would just as soon cheat you, if it made an extra buck.  That's not to say one shouldn't support the creators/artists/etc.  Even though I don't like the music of Radiohead, they did it right with that whole name your price deal.  Their music is not worth the same to everyone, so why should every one have to pay the same price?  Course it should be up to the artist to price their product, "name your price" is just one solution to cutting out the fat middle men.

Ooo, can I play the part of Socrates here?

What does the behavior of a company have to do with whether or not you will be honest? Furthermore, are you proposing a sort of Bronze Rule, a "Do unto others before they have a chance to do unto you"? In fear of the company cheating you, you are cheating them.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #159 on: August 01, 2008, 03:43:52 am »

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 01, 2008, 03:53:11 am »
Yeah, it's definitely a Catch-22 because though their prices may be unfair, by pirating (or w/e), you're actually forcing them to continue down that path...Oh well, you can't control the companies, so people only do what can benefit themselves, I think...

Did I seriously start this conversation by complaining about the FFIV DS ROM...? >_>

Kebrel

• Springtime of Youth
  • Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • नार्य काम संस्कृत
    • View Profile

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 01, 2008, 08:19:26 am »
Phoenix Wright is great. I just finished the first DS game (which, I guess was a remake of a GBA game or something) and I intend on getting the others later & think everyone should give it a shot. If you thought Phoenix Wright sounded like a stupid game and that you couldn't possibly have any fun playing it, you are WRONG!

Oh, Capcom, you're an absolute CARD. >_>

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #163 on: August 01, 2008, 10:18:44 am »
Good to hear you got into Gyakuten Saiban/Phoenix Wright. It's so great, I've finished all 4. They're all so brilliant. The second game's last case is amazing.

Quick question though, does your DS emulator allow you to use the bonus/fifth case's mic features?

BROJ

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 01, 2008, 10:46:20 am »
Did I seriously start this conversation by complaining about the FFIV DS ROM...? >_>
Naw, the situation has always been(will always be?..) a powderkeg wherever I've been; you simply dropped the 'match'.

I must confess, though; I've never played any of the Phoenix Wright games. :(