Author Topic: Stuff you LOVE, baby  (Read 326440 times)

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
Re: Stuff you LOVE, baby
« Reply #885 on: May 21, 2009, 08:47:45 am »
Sweet, I just finished my entry for the "Winter" Fanfic Contest and I'm rather proud of it if I do say so myself. It was a lot of fun to write and while it's sort of in the Magness realm, it's told from someone else's perspective that I haven't had a lot of chance to get into before...

Now I actually want the judging to finally proceed! I hope everyone else likes it too when it gets out and such.

NOW GO DO SOMETHING PRODUCTIVE, KIDS~!!

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: May 22, 2009, 08:10:42 am »

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: May 23, 2009, 01:10:24 am »
I thought that said "Forklife" until I clicked on the site...  Hahaha...

Didn't know there were many folk fans around here.  Anyone listened to Fionn Regan?

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: May 23, 2009, 10:54:33 am »
A festival of that size, devoted entirely to forks, would probably be one of the Ten Coolest Events in History.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: May 23, 2009, 10:01:48 pm »
My newly formed band has kicked off. Everyone's on the same page, we all like the same kind of music and everybody's suggestions are creative and actually make the music better. Plus, the drummer has drums, talent, and a practice space. This is more than I've had available to me for the last five years and I finally got it going. All I have to say is THANK GOD and see you on tour, bitches!  :D

teaflower

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Dreams are the gateway to reality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: May 27, 2009, 01:40:45 pm »
 :o

Quote from: A Letter I recieved Today
Dear Shannon,

I am writing you because I have learned that you did an exceptionally good job on the National Latin Examination last month.  For some years now I have written Latin students at the junior level across the United States to congratulate them and, by way of encouragement, to offer them the opportunity to apply for a merit scholarship in Classics at the University of Dallas.  This would be premature in your case, but my colleagues and I have decided also to write sophomores like you, who are learning Latin and doing very well at it, because we want to exhort you as strongly as possible to keep studying Latin.

There are two reasons for this, aside from the obvious, basic one, that Latin is observably good for you because of the ideas you encounter through reading Latin enliven and deepen your intellect and spirit.

Our two additional reasons are bluntly practical.

First, continued study of Latin next year makes you eligible to apply for admission to our Latin in Rome program.  The name is descriptive; it is a very intensive 3-week Latin course given at our Rome campus, and in sites around Italy, from which you can earn 3 college Latin credits.  In 2007 (Latin in Rome runs in odd years only) 27 high school students participated, some with financial aid from us, and all of them, we think, still have glowing memories of it.  Next time one of those students could be you.

Second, this time next year, your junior year, we'd like to be able to write you that "junior letter" some of your older classmates are getting now, inviting you to become a candidate for our Classics Scholarship, which in combination with other merit scholarships here, all renewable yearly, could be worth as much as $100,000 and more by the time you're ready to attend college.  Plus, in your sophomore year in college you, along with most of your class, will return to the Rome Campus for an entire semester, with a trip to Greece as well.

In short, HOLY FUCKING SHIT I MIGHT HAVE A SCHOLARSHIP AND A CHANCE TO GO TO FUCKING ROME.

KebreI

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: May 27, 2009, 03:01:06 pm »
If your learning Latin why the hell would you go to Greece?

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #892 on: May 27, 2009, 03:13:30 pm »

Just roll with it.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: May 27, 2009, 03:18:11 pm »

Possible because what made Latin an important language was the Roman Empire, and what made the Roman Empire an important political state was the Greek culture that infused it.

That is sort of like saying, "if you are studying the body, why the hell would you care about the heart."

teaflower

• View Profile
« Reply #894 on: May 27, 2009, 03:49:55 pm »
A lot of Latin words come from Greek. Upper class Romans spoke Greek amongst themselves. Visiting Greek helps with the classics, as this is a classical program predominantly featuring Latin.

There are some things I'm concerned about.

1. The University of Dallas is a Catholic school. And I'm not Catholic. Hell, I got banned from my Catholic church. I'm agnostic.
2. I don't plan on majoring in the classics. I aspire to be an English/Theater teacher, and Latin is just an elective for me to further my English skills.
3. Going to Rome costs a lot of money. I don't know what they offer for financial aid as of yet, but if it's not enough my family can't afford it. We're dirt poor, essentially.

But I'm not going to let that stop me. It's a chance to go to fucking Rome. It's a potential scholarship. How can I pass that up?

Also, peanut butter and honey sandwiches are the food of the fucking gods.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: May 27, 2009, 04:03:02 pm »
Also, peanut butter and honey sandwiches are the food of the fucking gods.

What is the food of the chaste gods?

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: May 27, 2009, 05:05:48 pm »
Watery lentil soup and tasteless crusts of flour...twice a day...every day...for your whole life...and then for eternity. =)

Teaflower, that's awesome! Good luck making it.

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #897 on: May 27, 2009, 05:43:19 pm »
Tea, that's totally awesome! Rome is a really neat city.

As for Greece, well, let it be noted that many of the ruins and elements that one might see in Greece are the result of the Roman occupation, or at least buildings constructed under the Roman overlordship of Greece. So, for example, we get the theatre in Athens - not, of course, the Classical one, but rather that built by Atticus. Also note... it just says 'a trip to Greece', so it's not exactly like one's going there to study. And anyway, KebreI, the same thing might be asked of Rome, as they don't speak Latin there, either. It's to get a sense of the ancient peoples who spoke this language - and to see the Pantheon, and to walk the ruins of the Forum, does aid in that.

However, tea, I would disagree with you on two accounts. I do not think they spoke Greek amongst themselves (even their written correspondance was typically Latin), and there are very few Greek words in Latin.

All the same, that sounds like a wonderful opportunity that you should most certainly sieze with full-hearted zeal.

teaflower

• View Profile
« Reply #898 on: May 27, 2009, 06:10:10 pm »
I'm totally psyched about the possibilities of this endeavor. It has rekindled my youthful passion and has made me feel more excited about life.

I can't wait for my Latin teacher to finally give me the silver cum laude I got on the NLE. Of the 40 questions asked, I got 31 right, while the national average was about 25. Sure, I didn't do the best job (my friend Parker got 38/40, earning him gold cum laude), but I did pretty good, especially compared to my classmates (someone got a 15/40, earning them -$2 [test cost = $2]) and the nation. I didn't see Parker today at lunch, so I couldn't ask if he got a letter too. But man oh man, this earns me bragging rights for the next... uhm... week? Month? Until June 9th?

Zelbess

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: May 27, 2009, 06:56:20 pm »
Greece is absolutely an amazing place to go; I especially liked Crete! It's beautiful and the supposed birthplace of Zeus - what's not to like? :) I have always been a greater fan of Italy, though, but that's mainly because I'm a massive geology nerd.

Also, congrats on your NLE score, Tea! :) I have fond memories of my days taking Latin, haha! Did you take the Latin AP test or participate in Latin Club?