Author Topic: Stuff you LOVE, baby  (Read 333369 times)

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
Re: Stuff you LOVE, baby
« Reply #4095 on: August 17, 2020, 10:19:23 am »
I've always been a huge fan I just noticed I'm so too quiet about it and I keep basically all my thoughts on the subject to myself.

There are dozens of us! Literally dozens of us, all of which love old school jRPGs and believe that the SNES/PSX era was a golden era for the genre.

Kidding aside, of course, it is great to find people with similar interests, even if only over the internet and not in real life. My wife doesn't play video games, but I've explained that I don't play games that are there just to fill time (ie, Tetris, Candy Crush, etc). Not knocking those games, but I like my games to have a story that pushes me from a beginning to an end.

Video games are literally just an interactive movie or book and no different when it comes down to it. I've come to terms with the fact that I'll never completely outgrow video games, and that's okay. I find value in them and I know others do, too.

VidKid369

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4096 on: August 18, 2020, 05:32:33 am »
I've noticed there're definitely a lot of gamers online, lol. I know I've loved playing RPGs since I was younger I think probably because I just like to read a lot and RPGs do that for me. I like a lot of text. Hmm, um, well I just grew up in that era mostly but I thought N64/PlayStation/Dreamcast was when I had the most fun. That time in my life was the best just gaming all the time. SNES was cool but I thought the games were expensive for a cartridge I definitely noticed disc games were more affordable. Finding SNES RPGs were really hard for me to do. Even finding a Sega CD console was really hard.

Yeah, I love being online, lol. You should get her to play an RPG! I'm the same I'm like super frugal and mostly bought RPGs cause I can spend like 80-60 hours on it usually-mostly, and I re-play them often. I just like reading lots of in-game text, lol.

I just like sitting there for a really long time reading, to be honest.

Um, I dunno I've heard some people say they're akin to a comic book, maybe or a manga of some sort. Well I just game everyday it's a part of my life, I don't even consider it really one of my hobbies anymore. I just want my kids to read and write a lot and learn English. I always see myself keeping up with RPGs I want to be an old man one day and I know everything about every single RPG ever lol. I guess I find value in them I just do it for fun. I recently used an app to scan the barcodes on my games and there's definite value in them, ha. I didn't know people/gamers buy, sell and trade so much.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4097 on: August 18, 2020, 09:29:18 am »
I didn't know people/gamers buy, sell and trade so much.

Yeah, we've had a few moves over the years and I've had to downsize my own physical collections of books and video games. I digitized everything I could and then sold them on eBay or elsewhere, and boy did I get a lot of cold hard cash, haha...

But I hear you. My daughter has definitely taken a liking to video games -- Minecraft is her favorite, although she enjoys platformers a lot. I've tried to get her to play RPGs but she hasn't quite had interest in RPGs just yet. I thought Kingdom Hearts could maybe be a gateway for her...

I also told her the story of Chrono Trigger as a reoccuring bedtime story for a while. Same with Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

Mauron

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
« Reply #4098 on: August 18, 2020, 12:41:50 pm »
I thought Kingdom Hearts could maybe be a gateway for her...

There's a nice The Story So Far collection that contains all the games except KH3, but a couple of the DS games and the phone game have been converted into movies.

Same with Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

I hope you didn't do the part where she talks to the owl and accidentally has him repeat everything. :P

VidKid369

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4099 on: August 18, 2020, 11:25:21 pm »
Oh, I move a lot too but I don't ever sell my physical games. When I moved here to a new country I put all my games in a carry-on and a bookbag and it was with me all of them the plane ride over, lol. I do trade though.

Hmm, maybe you can try an RPG where you can game with her like Secret of Evermore it's co-op. I had a friend that was really into I think Gauntlet Legends for PS1 we would game in her room together sometimes lol.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4100 on: August 19, 2020, 12:28:58 am »
I hope you didn't do the part where she talks to the owl and accidentally has him repeat everything.

Thankfully, I'm not that cruel! In fact, we never finished the story... I think we got to frozen Zora's Domain and for some reason stopped. She gets really excited and obsessed over random things, and she wants her bedtime stories to be about those -- it may be something as simple as rabbits or corgis or wolverines. All of which are animals she has been obsessed with for a random amount of time, haha...

Hmm, maybe you can try an RPG where you can game with her like Secret of Evermore it's co-op. I had a friend that was really into I think Gauntlet Legends for PS1 we would game in her room together sometimes lol.

That's a great idea. I'll have to find something on Wii/WiiU, Nintendo Switch, Xbox360, PS3, or PC, though. Unfortunately, the downsizing I referenced before this includes having sold everything not above, including but not limited to: GBC, GBA, NES, SNES, N64, PSX, PS2, NGC. I did keep my archives in the form of ROMs or .iso backups, although I have kept them moreso out of being a packrat, haha...

There's a nice The Story So Far collection that contains all the games except KH3, but a couple of the DS games and the phone game have been converted into movies.

As for Kingdom Hearts... I actually have every game (and have played them) except for the PS4 exclusives (KH3 and the KH2.9 prelude package. I have both the PS3 versions, though, which I believe includes everything. I also own the GBA, DS, and 3DS games, haha...

I even blade the mobile gacha game for a long while, although I admit I gave up on it quite some time ago. The storyline was too slow and the game was far too grindy, like most gacha games.

Mauron

• Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
« Reply #4101 on: August 19, 2020, 02:25:33 pm »
Rabbits? Clearly a Link to the Past is the next story to tell, when the hero transforms into a bunny.

I actually had most of the games in some form or another when I got the Story So Far collection. I needed the 2.8/2.9 stuff, and a couple DS games. Getting the separate 2.8/2.9 package for me was about as much as the Story So Far, so I got that and a bunch of trophies.

I may use the movie version for the mobile game, because gacha.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4102 on: August 19, 2020, 06:12:53 pm »
358/2 (DS) and Dream Drop Sequence (3DS) were both really good. I would say that Dream Drop Sequence is actually one of my favorites in the series, although the late-game story wasn't the best (I didn't like the way they turned things out for poor Sora). Plus it was great swapping between Sora and Riku

The Coded game on DS, though... It can be skipped and ignored entirely. :/

VidKid369

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4103 on: August 19, 2020, 08:25:15 pm »
That's a great idea. I'll have to find something on Wii/WiiU, Nintendo Switch, Xbox360, PS3, or PC, though. Unfortunately, the downsizing I referenced before this includes having sold everything not above, including but not limited to: GBC, GBA, NES, SNES, N64, PSX, PS2, NGC. I did keep my archives in the form of ROMs or .iso backups, although I have kept them moreso out of being a packrat, haha...

Oh, no! I, too, have been toying around with the idea of going digital but I just don't have in me to give away or sell my video games. Video games are like my babies, lol. They do take up space and I'm not a hoarder by any means but I do make a special case for video games. I like the packaging a lot: everything, the cardboard, the jewel case, the instruction manuals, strategy guides, posters, I even got the official plastic shells/plastic sleeves for both the box/case and instruction booklet. Sometimes I still flip through them sometimes. They go for much more when the video game is complete with box/jewel case and instruction manual.

I think it's a weird ASMR thing I have.

Out of the above I only have a PlayStation 3, I am pretty late when it comes to new-gen, and I got bogged down somehow, lol. Well with the PS3 you can play PS1 classics either thru backwards-compatibility or PSN. Maybe she'll like the first Wild ARMs and maybe she'll like Cecilia? It has puzzles too. And for some reason I think new gamers like the loading times it's quite relaxing watching a loading screen. I find SNES RPGs a little too high in difficulty in that regard.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4104 on: August 19, 2020, 10:10:09 pm »
Well with the PS3 you can play PS1 classics either thru backwards-compatibility or PSN. Maybe she'll like the first Wild ARMs and maybe she'll like Cecilia? It has puzzles too. And for some reason I think new gamers like the loading times it's quite relaxing watching a loading screen. I find SNES RPGs a little too high in difficulty in that regard.

I actually did buy some of them -- Xenogears, Legend of Mana, FF8, FF9... I hadn't even considered Wild ARMs! I know I showed her Legend of Mana and she was pretty keen on it, but never got around to playing it (Minecraft is the common distraction for her, haha).

VidKid369

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4105 on: August 20, 2020, 10:10:05 am »
I actually did buy some of them -- Xenogears, Legend of Mana, FF8, FF9... I hadn't even considered Wild ARMs! I know I showed her Legend of Mana and she was pretty keen on it, but never got around to playing it (Minecraft is the common distraction for her, haha).

Legend of Mana is pretty good I haven't beaten it yet though! Maybe she'll like the tools and stuff in Wild ARMs, I know when I'm playing I use Cecilia's teardrop over and over lolol.

I know when I play RPGs I like a lot of reading. I kinda wanna teach my kids someday, one day the same thing. Dragon Warrior VII has A LOT of text and reading even the battles are full of text-only just like Earthbound. And it's super long too so you can spend a lot of time together. Another good one I think is Tales of Destiny I've always really liked that game. I started gaming when I was really young and I fell in love with Final Fantasy III/VI and it's available on PS1 as Collector's Package Final Fantasy Anthology. Other gamers crap on that version because of the load times but I barely notice it anyway and I'm just happy it's on there.

Ever since moving here to the Philippines a lot of people emphasize it's really important that children learn English. It's something I barely think of, though?

Mauron

• Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
« Reply #4106 on: August 20, 2020, 03:32:33 pm »
I got Math Days and Re:Coded on the DS. Dream Drop got an HD port at some point, and is playable in The Story So Far.

Have her play FF7, then FFT so she can get more Aeris.

VidKid369

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4107 on: August 20, 2020, 11:31:32 pm »
^ Omg, what a good idea! Awe, I love that scene in Final Fantasy Tactics. The more Aeris in someone's life, the better I say! Just make sure to stay a long time on Disc 1.

Mauron

• Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
« Reply #4108 on: August 21, 2020, 04:38:52 am »
Aeris is great, and the remake inspiring AriTifa art is also great.

My favorite scene in FFT is the introduction of Worker 8.

VidKid369

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4109 on: August 21, 2020, 07:05:26 am »
I agree Aeris is great. I've always liked Yuffie the best though. Maybe I'm just odd?

Oh, Worker 8 was also definitely one of my favorites too! I always really liked Beowulf and Reis though.