Author Topic: Stuff you LOVE, baby  (Read 332235 times)

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
Re: Stuff you LOVE, baby
« Reply #4065 on: July 24, 2018, 05:54:53 pm »
A little of column a, a little of column b maybe? I'm from '85. I caught a bit of Andromeda back when it was on, but it was that Saturday afternoon block I always forgot to watch. Earth Final Conflict, Andromeda, Deep Space 9, and a bunch of others aired around then.

Same here on both accounts! 1985 birth year and the afternoon block. What channel was that? I'm trying to remember, but I think it was a non-cable channel. It wasn't the post-UPN channel (whatever it was called), was it? I know it would have been different stations for different markets, but I can't recall the channel itself for some reason.

Fun but somewhat unrelated fact: FaustWolf and I learned that we grew up about 10 minutes from each other. He was one town over, and we had one or two mutual friends IRL. This was in Ohio. We realized this all because we were talking about local television and events, bahaha...

Mauron

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
« Reply #4066 on: July 24, 2018, 06:45:28 pm »
It was WGN for me, which later became the WB network, and even later became the CW, but I don't remember it being called anything else at the time.

Every now and then you meet someone from the internet that's closer than you think... hopefully not because they're hiding in the bushes.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4067 on: July 24, 2018, 11:16:01 pm »
WGN

That was it! I couldn't remember for the life of me. And you're totally right, it did become WB and later the CW. I was trying to remember. Lots of good shows from this era; Hercules and Xena, the SG-1 series, Cleopatra 2525, that barely-related-to-the-film Total Recall series... Now I'm all nostalgia.

UPN was another titan of the era for me. They had a few scifi shows I watched. Seven Days, of course Star Trek Voyager, The Sentinel... I feel like there's more, but that's all that comes to mind. Plus they had tons of cartoons I watched.

Mauron

• Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
« Reply #4068 on: July 25, 2018, 12:24:33 am »
I didn't know that block had SG-1. I caught it on Sci-Fi after Showtime or whoever dropped it.

Never really watched much Cleopatra 2525. Seven Days was fun.

Did you ever catch a show about a guy who made a video game about his ex-girlfriend, and then the game characters came to life and he had to beat them? I forgot that one and it's been bugging me.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4069 on: July 25, 2018, 12:26:02 am »
Don't mind me interrupting--I'm just currently loving the fact that my sister's coming out to visit me! I'm going to pick her up from the train station in a few minutes. Haven't seen her in two years, so I invited her out here for my birthday. (I made her play a mock version of The Price Is J, and she won the all-expenses paid showcase vacation to Washington.) I've been ultra busy leading up to her arrival, and therefore also loving the chance to slow down the pace for a few days to something more civilized.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4070 on: July 25, 2018, 01:18:29 pm »
Did you ever catch a show about a guy who made a video game about his ex-girlfriend, and then the game characters came to life and he had to beat them? I forgot that one and it's been bugging me.

Woo boy! Deadly Games from back in 1995.

IMDb: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0111937/
Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deadly_Games
Aaaaaaaand here's the intro: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s784z_HJMA0

I'll be honest, I never saw it. But wooboy does this look good. Like, so bad it's good kind of good. Plus it has Christopher Lloyd as the main villain?! You know that's gotta be some good stuff.

Don't mind me interrupting--I'm just currently loving the fact that my sister's coming out to visit me! I'm going to pick her up from the train station in a few minutes. Haven't seen her in two years, so I invited her out here for my birthday. (I made her play a mock version of The Price Is J, and she won the all-expenses paid showcase vacation to Washington.) I've been ultra busy leading up to her arrival, and therefore also loving the chance to slow down the pace for a few days to something more civilized.

Woohoo! Nice! I always thought you were from Washington originally, and all your family was there, too. Congrats on getting to see your family; it sounds like you two have a really good relationship!

I have two sisters. We get along, but we aren't best friends. I often wish I had that kind of relationship with my siblings.

Mauron

• Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
« Reply #4071 on: July 25, 2018, 02:22:47 pm »
Yeah, that's what I was thinking of. I wonder how it would hold up.

Razig

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #4073 on: August 05, 2018, 07:11:08 pm »
Woah, for real!? :shock:

Too bad it doesn't look like I would be able to watch it.

PrincessNadia78

• Chronicler of Time
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • I didn’t “pick up” anything! It’s common sense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4074 on: August 13, 2018, 07:04:25 pm »
Ok, so I just had to say something here...

Ever since I've had a smart phone I've been all about Apple. I was absolutely devoted to Apple. However, I've been feeling the last 6 months, I would say, that Apple hasn't been innovative. Hubby and I weren't happy with our carrier and we were looking to try and cut down our bill, so we switched and I got my first Android phone. OMG I LOVE IT!! I got one of their free phones (LG Stylos 4) and I can't get over how much more freedom I have! And I can play with an emulator on it! I'm so excited to play Radical Dreamers ON MY PHONE!!

Yes I'm excited and I needed to share. LOL

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4075 on: August 14, 2018, 08:18:37 am »
I studied graphic design and marketing in college, and although not a fervent Apple fanboy, I did use Apple products and viewed them as the best path for all my graphic design software. Reliable and easy to use. I also used iPhones up until iPhone 5.

I've since moved on. I switched to Android; more cost affordable and much more control over my device (I can manually install .apk files, what what?!). I also PC game, so that's a no brainer.

Apple products aren't bad per se, but they definitely aren't innovative and are overpriced. They do so well due to branding and cult of personality, so to speak.

Not knocking on Apple, but I'm with you -- Android/PC market is just better for my needs at this point.

PS -- You can also emulate older systems on your Android! :)

PrincessNadia78

• Chronicler of Time
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • I didn’t “pick up” anything! It’s common sense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4076 on: August 14, 2018, 01:51:58 pm »
That was how I got onto Apple too; I studied graphic design in college and that was what we used.

Up until recently, I was a HUGE Apple fanboy (or fangirl, in this case. Ha ha!) I just really started to take a hard look at what they've been doing and I'm really not impressed anymore. I feel ever since Steve Jobs died, all innovation has gone out of Apple products and they rely on the brand that he built. It makes me sad to be honest because I loved Apple so much. I mean this phone I got for free and it already came with 32 GB of space and I added a 32 GB SD card that I have, and it supports up to 2TB. You really can't beat that, plus I can do more with it because it comes with a stylus. I'm excited to play with that!! So does anyone have any tips for a new Adroid user? I'm figuring it out pretty fast, but anything else cool I need to know! He he!

Ooooooo must emulate ALL THE GAMES! Ha ha!

Mauron

• Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
« Reply #4077 on: August 14, 2018, 05:12:45 pm »
I got a freebie iPhone for my first smartphone, and have traded up since.

I'd consider switching, but my dumb phone games will take away my premium currency if I switch OSes.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4078 on: August 14, 2018, 05:35:53 pm »
Yeah, luckily the only mobile game I played let me sync it to a fake Facebook account and transfer it from mobile to mobile. That was Final Fantasy Record Keeper. I still play it occasionally.

I started playing Star Ocean Amnesis when it launched a month or so ago.

The only other phone game I've played was Fallout Shelter. I did everything one could do until they introduced adventuring, and at that point there was a huge difficulty spike. As soon as I logged in for the first time in several months my vault was overcome by deathclaws and I lost maybe 50% of my vault literally within five minutes of playing. I quit that day and haven't gone back.

All-in-all, I'm sort of sick of all these gatcha games. I rarely spend money on them, and when I do, it's a literally only a dollar here or there. I play enough to stay in the game, but not enough to do maybe the top 30% of content or so. I don't spend much time on them (maybe 20 minutes a day tops), but I could be using that time elsewhere and could save myself a fair bit of minor video game stress.

The older I get the less I like high difficulties in video games.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 02:11:49 am by Boo the Gentleman Caller »

Mauron

• Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
« Reply #4079 on: August 14, 2018, 05:47:00 pm »
Not sure about Record Keeper, but some of the others I've played had a way to switch between phones, but they'll steal your premium currency if you go from Android to iPhone.

I've played a little Star Ocean Amnesis, but it burns through my battery and overheats my phone. I'll probably upgrade soon.

I mostly play Love Live! School Idol Festival and BanG Dream! Girls Band Party. Since they're rhythm games, the gatcha isn't as important as player skill. Gatchas are quite evil.