Author Topic: Stuff you LOVE, baby  (Read 328463 times)

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
Re: Stuff you LOVE, baby
« Reply #2820 on: November 02, 2010, 10:24:00 pm »
Epoch's Last Flight and Frog's Theme. Seems like I've been listening to them at least once a day.

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2821 on: November 05, 2010, 09:51:27 pm »
D and myself have an apartment!  :D  :D  :D

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2822 on: November 06, 2010, 12:19:58 am »
Ooo, sounds pretty sweet. Now if you can just rig the doorbell to play Robo's Theme, you'd be set.

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #2823 on: November 19, 2010, 02:19:17 am »
They said the book wouldn't come to Pune market for another month. Hah, I got my hands on it! 8D

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #2824 on: November 19, 2010, 03:42:48 am »
Found a load of good Trek pics.

Looks like Clyde snuck in there.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 03:49:22 am by ZeaLitY »

Shee

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
  • Sheeeeeeit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2825 on: November 19, 2010, 03:51:16 pm »
Never was a big trek guy, but the theme song is jammed in my head after those pics...

Pilot audition Tuesday.  Feel the spike.

:shee

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2826 on: November 19, 2010, 06:13:54 pm »
This relates to my post in the Interesting and Informative Links thread.

I love the Zelda series soundtracks. Three of them deserve a special mention:

The Ocarina of Time soundtrack is both very complementary of its dramatic subject matter and, moreover, very well ordered. With the preponderance of the Kokiri theme early in the game, it wasn't until much later that I realized just how heavy and portentous the overall soundtrack is. It's a thick and immersive soundtrack, which, rather than being diminished by the lighter pieces, achieves a depth and breadth that eluded my typification for years. It continues to improve with age for me.

The Majora's Mask soundtrack disappointed me for a long time. It didn't live up to Ocarina's epic grandeur, and it sounded deficient in melody. I fell for a few specific pieces in the score, like the Deku Palace theme, but overall I was dismissive of the soundtrack as a masterpiece--and I drew this conclusion even knowing that Majora's Mask is essentially a Japanese acid trip. It wasn't until I heard ZREO's arrangements over the past few days that I finally came to appreciate that, in its own way, the Majora's Mask soundtrack is nearly as brilliant as Ocarina's. The disjointedness of entries like the Milk Bar--itself a disjointed place in a story whose primacy is the non-sequitur (deliciously ironic when juxtaposed with the endlessly repeating plot)--makes for a surreal experience, which is bolstered by the overdramatic quality of pieces like the Mayor's Theme. But those themes had always sat well with me. Rather, it is the main musical themes of Majora's Mask which have achieved redemption in my ears of late. Cheers, ZREO.

Lastly, the A Link to the Past soundtrack can't go without mention; it is the quintessential Zelda soundtrack. Koji Kondo has had increasingly less (hrm!) to do with the Zelda soundtracks over the years, but this one was all his. We owe to this game the Dark World theme, the Hyrule Castle theme, the Kakariko Village theme, the Turtle Rock theme, the Triforce theme, the Ending Theme and Ending Credits themes, and several others which not only went on to enrich the series and enshrine these games in our minds, but stand alone as instances of music as fine art.

(Speaking of which, did you know you can hear the call of the first movement of Beethoven's Seventh Symphony in the Deku Palace theme from Majora's Mask? Almost certainly that's not intentional, but it is a sign of robust structure in the music any time your song invokes Beethoven.)

Edit: Made linky.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 06:17:02 pm by Lord J Esq »

Sajainta

• View Profile
« Reply #2827 on: November 20, 2010, 03:25:19 am »
So...heh...  D and I have been talking about marriage.  He brought it up a week ago.  First time in our entire (four year) relationship that he's openly talked about it.

Excuse me for a moment...

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!  :mrgreen:

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2828 on: November 20, 2010, 08:03:18 pm »
Your user icon when I read that post was Voldemort as Bachelor #1!

Sajainta

• View Profile
« Reply #2829 on: November 20, 2010, 08:14:21 pm »
Your user icon when I read that post was Voldemort as Bachelor #1!

Haha!  That's perfect.  :D

Shee

• Sheeeeeeit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2830 on: November 23, 2010, 05:59:41 am »
@ Saj - Congrats!  Exciting stuff!

@ Lord J - Hyrule Castle Theme is bawse.  Ocarina is super nostalgic for me, always a violent mix. 

As for me, just finished reading the screenplay of Sideways.  Holy.  Shit.  Balls.  So good.  So good.  I want to see it but have to wait until I'm done working on it.

MILES:  Half my life is over, and I have nothing to show for it.  I'm a thumbprint on the window of a skyscraper.  I'm a smudge of excrement on a tissue surging out to sea with a million tons of raw sewage.

JACK:  See?  Right there.  Just what you just said.  That's beautiful.  A thumbprint on a skyscraper.  I couldn't write that.

MILES:  Neither could I.  I think it's Bukowski.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2831 on: November 23, 2010, 08:06:15 am »
Shee, is that a script you're writing, or a project you're acting in?

Ahh, I think there's no feeling better in the world than plunking down for a good night's sleep after finishing an incredibly challenging task, especially when success wasn't guaranteed going into it. Time to drop some gratuitous victory art:
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 08:15:30 am by FaustWolf »

Shee

• Sheeeeeeit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2832 on: November 23, 2010, 05:31:30 pm »
Working on a scene from Sideways - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0375063/

btw thanks for the reel comments, didn't know that was even published.  Only thing in it to air was 1000 Ways To Die.

Shee

• Sheeeeeeit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2833 on: November 28, 2010, 10:11:58 pm »
YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH

Called back for the pilot!  les do dis thang!  Also a great sports weekend.

ALSO...I've rambled on about Andy Mckee and Craig D'Andrea before and their storytelling via guitar.  Joining them (for me) is Sungha Jung:

Livin On A Prayer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZzaHi-5lk0

Jump:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-jqABre7ug&feature=channel

Manha De Cathedrale (jazz classic):  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3gxwHVrwCw

Irony (original, you can also see he's a little older now):  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LR5rSkDcP2M

Andy Mckee covering Everyone Wants To Rule The World  :shock:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foJ-Fs6DWZM

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #2834 on: November 29, 2010, 02:20:43 am »
Been reading Bartimaeus: Ring of Solomon. Haven't finished the book yet, but so far I know that Asmira... is badass!

Poor Bartimaeus on the other hand is in a pickle, doing odd jobs and afraid of a shadow. Well, he's going to get his vengeance sooner or later. He always does.