Author Topic: Stuff you LOVE, baby  (Read 333082 times)

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
Re: Stuff you LOVE, baby
« Reply #2805 on: October 22, 2010, 11:56:34 pm »
While I was gone I got addicted to and eventually finished watching all of Dr Who and already did all my OMG WTF stuff so I just wanted to say I love it. All of it. Even Matt Smith.

A little late in coming, but Huzzah!
Matt Smith is growing on me. He's no David Tennant, but he largely isn't trying to be, either. Definitely excided about the next season/series.

On another note, I had posted about a stray cat that had run into my appartment the other day. He was microchipped, so we were able to track down the owners and now the cat, named Larry (whom I shalt refer to as Larry the Catcumber) is back at his home. He was such a sweet cat that the happy ending is all the more enjoyable. And yay for microchipping pets!

Here, have a picture of the guy.

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #2806 on: October 23, 2010, 12:56:43 pm »
XD Awww he's adorable! How good does he hunt?

Finished watching Doctor Who season 5 (it's funny how the Doctor only needs one moment to turn GOO and triumph catches his feet) so thought I'd give Kuroshitsuji a go. Some episodes at the beginning may be a pass of time, interesting none the less, but they're just warming up.

In short, Kuroshitsuji - Black Butler is actually a retelling of the classic Marlowe/Goethe's Doctor Faustus -- Ciel being the protagonist while Sebastian being Mephistopheles-like, yet having a horde of fangirls behind him -- with a Jack the Ripper, Sherlock Holmes and Artemis Fowl like elements. The tale's been pretty interesting, especially for those aware of the Faustian legend knowing what's inevitable despite the characters hoping for a "happy ending" (ouch...). XD I've fallen in love with the Kalafina music since it gives the perfect feel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcsAfgum5qI

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2807 on: October 27, 2010, 12:19:35 am »
Let's get into the Halloween spirit with M.R. James' "Lost Hearts"!

Warning: it's very creepy, so creepy that the title can be interpreted literally. M.R. James created a rich treasure trove of stuff during his lifetime. What draws me to him is how a work like "Lost Hearts" can appeal both to skepticism and the weird allure of the paranormal: on top of being a ghost story, it doubly illustrates the risks of belief in the paranormal. Brilliant.

The original short story is here.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 12:22:22 am by FaustWolf »

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #2808 on: October 27, 2010, 04:31:53 am »
XD Wow, that's spooky. Reminds me of that mansion at Kolkata where me and my family lived for a couple of days. It was in the city, of course, but often left unattended and was considered haunted. I was only somewhat 6 of age back then.

SHERLOCK HOLMES ALERT!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSQq_bC5kIw

And just check the reception.
The show's popularity led retailer Debenhams to report a surge in enquiries for coats similar to Sherlock's. Garment manufacturer Belstaff was forced to put the wool trench coat worn by Benedict Cumberbatch back into production before the series had ended.[64] The Independent newspaper reported that "designer Paul Costelloe moved to meet the demand, offering tailored coats and scarves based on the series, while Savile Row bespoke tailor John Pearse said many of his clients were inquiring about the actors' clothes".[40] Journalist Alexis Petridis comments, "you can see why men wanted to get the look. Perhaps they noted the effect Cumberbatch, by no means your standard telly hunk, had on lady viewers ... and decided it must have something to do with the clobber. So it is that Britain's latest men's style icon is a fictional asexual sociopath first seen onscreen hitting a corpse with a stick. Surely not even the great detective himself could have deduced that was going to happen."[64] Publishers and retailers reported a 180% rise in sales of Sherlock Holmes books during the first series' broadcast.[65] Speedy’s, the sandwich shop on North Gower Street below the flat used as Holmes' residence, reported a sharp rise in new customers who recognised it from the show.[33]

I'm actually glad somebody tried to stay as faithful to the original classic as possible and at the same time improving it for modern viewing. Cumberbatch as Holmes is EXCELLENT! He SITS the same way, THINKS the same way, LOOKS and SOUNDS the same way! Skinny and gaunt, deep voice, assholeish when under stress, beating up a corpse, etc. Hell he plays the role better than Downey Jr. any day. And did I mention the direction was awesome? Yeah, the directors were Moffat and Grattis of Doctor Who. But of course, there are two flaws.

For one, Sherlock was a bit slow in Study of Pink than the original "Study of Scarlet"; secondly... NO BAKER STREET IRREGULARS?! Then again I just watched the first episode, so I'll have to look the others up.

Man, this Compendium really NEEDS a Sherlock Holmes thread!

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2809 on: October 27, 2010, 10:17:31 pm »
Man, this Compendium really NEEDS a Sherlock Holmes thread!

You should make one.

skylark

• Poet of El Nido
  • Black Wind Agent (+600)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2810 on: October 28, 2010, 01:26:35 am »
8-bit Theater. I don't know how long ago it was, but it finally ended.

"Longest Setup in Webcomic History" indeed. :P

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2811 on: October 28, 2010, 09:37:32 pm »
Sabin suplexes the Phantom Train. Like the caption says, video gaming doesn't get better than this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2u84cH_bmTA

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2812 on: October 28, 2010, 11:08:22 pm »
That's impressive. Reminds me of a certain scene in Xenogears.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2813 on: October 30, 2010, 07:48:19 pm »
Attended a satellite gathering of the Rally to Restore Sanity (since I could not make it to DC). Totally and fully awesome. I should have made signs, though, since the ones there were fairly lame. Possible slogans: "Give me liberty or give me a good reason why not," "No Taxation without a reasonable debate process justifying said taxation and a simple majority vote by elected officials," or the ever-popular "Christian Values for Some, Miniature American Flags for Others."
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 07:50:45 pm by Thought »

Sajainta

• View Profile
« Reply #2814 on: October 30, 2010, 09:17:11 pm »
I love Halloween.  It's such a fun holiday.  Tomorrow D and I are (hopefully!) going to downtown [large US city] to trick-or-treat with a few people.  I'm excited.  Now we just need to get a costume for D.  XD

New ravatar theme::  Halloween related, of course!

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2815 on: October 30, 2010, 11:46:52 pm »
I'm pretty sure that seeing Ka's "vertical wall" act in person has become one of my life's goals.

There's just something unquestionably magical about Cirque du Soleil. Watching their performances is such a mind opener, like the viewer's brain is swimming in the primordial ooze of creativity.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 12:08:40 am by FaustWolf »

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2816 on: October 31, 2010, 12:19:52 pm »
There's just something unquestionably magical about Cirque du Soleil. Watching their performances is such a mind opener, like the viewer's brain is swimming in the primordial ooze of creativity.

Undeniably. I saw a performance of Cirque Dreams Jungle Fantasy once, and it gave me an overwhelming sense of inspiration. That, and a new-found appreciation for electric violins.

Sajainta

• View Profile
« Reply #2817 on: November 01, 2010, 09:14:06 pm »
I love Twix bars, and peanut M&Ms, and Butterfingers, and Skittles, and Snickers bars.  I also love how I got more candy trick-or-treating yesterday than I ever did as a child.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2818 on: November 02, 2010, 12:02:36 am »

Shee

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
  • Sheeeeeeit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2819 on: November 02, 2010, 03:21:31 pm »
Back at the Comedy Store tonight.  I think the show got plugged on Leno last night, though I'm not sure.  Finishing up my last 2 weeks of this hell of a day job, seeing the family which is always a treat for me, auditions/etc.  Things are going well.  But a taste is not enough.