Author Topic: Stuff you LOVE, baby  (Read 332103 times)

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
Re: Stuff you LOVE, baby
« Reply #2580 on: May 05, 2010, 11:46:07 pm »
I find myself actually looking forward to those sweet hours after I get a new pair of glasses. I am always amazed at how crisp and clear the world can be.

Very true. I had an opposite experience recently; I was visiting with family in California and had the occasion to do a lot of driving. Like you I have imperfect vision--moderate myopia and mild astigmatism--and I am very sorely in need of a prescription upgrade. I do so much squinting that sometimes I feel as though my eyeballs are trying to tell me that they're tired of it and want me to cut it the heck out out already.

Now, as you may have gleaned, I have a scatterbrained memory. But as I was doing that driving in the California desert, I could remember, across the gulf of ten years or more, details which I can no longer see, and clarity which is no longer there. It was as dispiriting as your new glasses will be uplifting. When I have to rely on my memory above sensory information, I feel handicapped indeed.

I look at the moon sometimes and marvel at the quiet marvel of corrective lenses. How many generations of humans there were who had nothing, for whom all clarity went out until they simply died. If I take my glasses off and look at the moon, it becomes ten times blurrier. It reminds me of that greatest of moments in The Chronicles of Amber when Corwin, having been blinded by his brothers and imprisoned in a dungeon for many months, grew his eyes back and slowly recovered his vision until, at last, one night on the trail he looked up at the moon in the sky and it was absolutely crisp. Such is the power of glasses or contacts for most of those of us who are not fortunate enough to be able to grow our eyes back into the correct shape.

In concurrence with your post, I will say just how much I love the power of sight. To this human, it is the greatest of all human sentience.

Update: I was torn between posting this in the Love thread or the Links thread, so I'm compromising by editing this post to put it here. I defy anyone to watch this and not come away smiling. Disneyland's Main Street Electrical Parade!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OdK5-yWIGs

To think, just forty years ago Americans were still able to appreciate some of the marvels of our age we now take for granted. Even as recently as the '70s, things like synthetic dye, plastics, and, yes, electricity were something to be proud about. I for one think they still are! There's more than just nostalgia for the parade to have the word "electrical" in its title!

Me and electricity go way back. It was always my favorite utility, and my favorite superpower--and something not to be treated with kid gloves (as its appearance in my dream will attest!). Luckily one needn't be more than just another mild-mannered citizen to undertake the joys of electrification!
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 08:22:15 am by Lord J Esq »

ZaichikArky

• Mystical Knight (+700)
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #2581 on: May 07, 2010, 12:33:48 am »
I'm visiting the optometrist tomorrow. I notice that my vision gets slightly worse every year too, but it doesn't really bother me other than when I go to the grocery store and have to squint to read the signs. I have some blind friends on lj, and they live very fulfilling lives without sight. It's a part of their identity, so much that calling it a disability isn't really doing it justice.

rushingwind

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2582 on: May 07, 2010, 01:06:05 am »
I love music. I really and truly believe in my heart that music is a language all its own:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPiwgS2yGaU

This is a song from Final Fantasy 9 called, "The Place I'll Return to Someday." This is a mix using a guitar and a ocarina. It's... so beautiful. It brings me such a peaceful, serene feeling to hear it...

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2583 on: May 07, 2010, 02:28:25 am »
Speaking of which, I often love video game RPG soundtrack piece titles. "The Boy Aims for Wild Fields." "People Who Threw Away the Will to Live." "The Place I'll Return to Someday." "Battle 3." Heh.

And of course two from SoM that those of you who are more familiar with me might recognize very clearly: "Tell a Strange Tale" and "A Curious Happening."

Zephira

• Bounty Hunter
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • You're not afraid of the dark, are you?...Are you?
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page
« Reply #2584 on: May 07, 2010, 02:43:10 am »
I have to completely agree with Rushingwind on the music bit. And on that note, I think Loituma's Levan Polka is one of the best songs to draw to. So energetic!

Truthordeal

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Dunno what's supposed to go here. Oh now I see.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #2585 on: May 07, 2010, 07:05:54 pm »
"Rap is the Soul of Man! Dig open Your Ears and Listen Well to the Great Kamina, The Man of Raging (Waves?) that Believes in Himself Aiming for the Sky"

'nuff said.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2586 on: May 07, 2010, 07:32:46 pm »
SquuuueeeEEEEE, Silent Orchestra's Nosferatu soundtrack is finally available for purchase after all these years! Their Facebook page has an embedded player toward the bottom of the page with several full tracks that can be copie--err, listened to for free too.

Man, Silent Orchestra really breathes new life into silent films. I can't wait for them to get around to FW Murnau's Faust. If they don't, I might throw some Yasunori Mitsuda on that baby and see if I can get away with a Youtube upload of the result for Halloween 2010. What an awesome joke upload that would be. I could even play with the intertitles a bit. "MEPHISTO: I choose you!"
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 10:58:39 pm by FaustWolf »

GenesisOne

• Bounty Seeker
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • "Time Travel? Possible? Don't make me laugh!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2587 on: May 10, 2010, 01:39:56 pm »

I just love this song. Simply entrancing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiLcw4juIMk

Never mind the music video. It's the music that counts.

Shee

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
  • Sheeeeeeit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2588 on: May 10, 2010, 09:54:07 pm »
Sheeeeeeit, pardners....biggest comedy show thus far in a few hours.

Let's go kick some ass.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2589 on: May 10, 2010, 10:06:18 pm »
Best of luck Shee! Let us know if footage is uploaded anywhere!

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2590 on: May 11, 2010, 10:24:23 am »
The word "bookshelves."

That seems like a strange thing to love, doesn't it? But it has such wonderful implications to it! Not that long ago humans could barely imagine having so many books that more ostentatious displays would become troublesome. To have a book was to be wealthy, to have a shelf's worth of books was to be obscenely wealth. To have so many books that a "bookshelf" could become a common, nickel-word? To have so many books that a plural form of the word is needed?! Oh to dream the impossible dream! Your local library or bookseller puts the Library of Alexandria to shame.

Such amazing implications are wrapped up in that little word, "bookshelves."

Also, "The Man of La Mancha"

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2591 on: May 12, 2010, 07:56:14 pm »
I've got a friend visiting from out of town soon. Aside from the good company, it's a nice opportunity to do some things that just tend not to happen when out-of-towners aren't at hand.

Zephira

• Bounty Hunter
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • You're not afraid of the dark, are you?...Are you?
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page
« Reply #2592 on: May 12, 2010, 10:49:35 pm »
Like learn about the floating bridge or revel in Fluff Season! Too bad it isn't in full swing yet.

Your friend might not be this way, but whenever I have family visiting from the Southern states, they're absolutely awed by how many trees we have (and how the leaves stay on the ground). Everyone always want to visit the floating bridge, too, and I never even knew it was anything special until I met tourists.

Shee

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
  • Sheeeeeeit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2593 on: May 18, 2010, 09:42:22 pm »
I love me some hoops.  And after a truly turrible season, my Wizards got the no. 1 draft pick.  Yaaaay!

Also, standup vid is up.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzJUZthyjh4

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2594 on: May 18, 2010, 10:54:53 pm »
Jed Wheadon, brother of the infamous Joss Wheadon. It appears that essentially any song that man writes, I will love. In this particular instance: Do You Want to Date My Avatar. His work on Dr. Horrible's was likewise excellent. Of course, this particular Love includes Felicia Day, though since that was the first song I've heard that I knew was composed by her, I couldn't include her in my comments of general musical fandom.

Though speaking of which, The Guild is a fabulous example of web entertainment as well.