Author Topic: Dialogue Enhancements Commentary Thread (old)  (Read 23781 times)

Kyronea

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
Dialogue Enhancements Commentary Thread (old)
« on: February 26, 2007, 01:36:12 am »
This is where we'll discuss the enhancements to all dialogue, be it story related, random NPC bits, or side-quest dialogue, so we make sure everything is good. Once we agree on a finalized version of all dialogue, we'll mark it as such in the corresponding thread.

http://www.chronocompendium.com/Forums/index.php?topic=3930.0 -Storyline Specific Dialogue Enhancements.

(Other threads to be added as work goes on.)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 10:02:24 pm by Zakyrus »

Zakyrus

• Entity
  • Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • "Bouncy, bouncy, bouncy... --!!"
    • View Profile
Re: Dialogue Enhancements Commentary Thread
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2007, 06:07:41 am »
The Crowd at the telepod exhibit is now:

{Gawkers}: Oh, WOW! That was GREAT!{full break}  Smile (It seemed funny to me)

.....also, here's an enhanced version of the telepod/Marle vanish scene

*pendant glows*

{Marle}: What's happening? My pendant...it's...glowing?{full break}

{Lucca}: What the...?!{full break}

{Gawkers}: WHOOOOOOOOOOOOAH....{full break} (as if they are completely awestruck by seeing the portal)

*Marle ends up in the Gate*

{Taban}: {Lucca}! What the hell happened?! Where is she?!{full break}

{Taban}: Okay, show's over folks! Get going!

*Crowd leaves*

Zakyrus

• Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2007, 07:54:52 am »
Oh yeah, another thing. As for the sprite anims (you commented about this in the other forum), I'll take care of it...scripting/coding really is my forte'. (though I'm stuck mapping also, until I get some willing mappers).
I will simply add the text into the ROM and use my best judgement on how to position/animate the PC's. I have done this on a few enhanced convos already, so it's not hard at all for me to do.

After the storyline enhance version is done I will probably start working with HEX :x (not looking forwards to it, though it will be necessary for complex enhancements.... and a valuable learning experience)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2007, 07:57:28 am by Zakyrus »

Glennleo

• Chrono Trigger + Crew
  • Temporal Warrior (+900)
  • Glenn - The true Hero and weilder of the Masamune.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2007, 08:37:48 pm »
I read over the new script and I must say great work. I found some typos, extra words, and some things just didn't sound right. Where should we put edits/corrections? In this thread? I don't want to make this thread gigantic with a copy and paste of that whole script thus far.

Let me know, and I'll work on correcting a few things.

Zakyrus

• Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2007, 09:36:43 pm »
Glennleo, you are correct. This would be the forum to post comments/fixes/suggestions. If you would to proofread this stuff that would be great, an extra opinion is always welcome.

Also here is the list of dialects to follow for each era.

65,000,000 B.C.: Simplified grammar and speech, in essence same as NA translation.
12,000 B.C.: Older English formal speech.
600 A.D.: Modern English, formal speech only, with some older English speaking habits.
1000 A.D. Modern English, informal speech mainly. (Presumable exceptions would be something like a speech by King Guardia XXXIII, who would sound more like a 600 A.D. person.)
2300 A.D.: Same as 1000 A.D. presumably, as language would have deteriorated during the 300 years since 1999. Perhaps a few cases of 65,000,000 B.C. type simplified grammar.

Dark Ages:
For example: "Don't worry" becomes "Worry not"

(Some stuff in these threads may throw you way off or render you clueless. This is because Kyronea and I have had many of conversations before the boards were activated (I just have to sort through this stuff and post it).

Glennleo

• Chrono Trigger + Crew
  • Temporal Warrior (+900)
  • Glenn - The true Hero and weilder of the Masamune.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2007, 09:43:31 pm »
Well no wonder I feel sooo far behind. You guys started this way before I even knew it existed. Or she/he teamed up with you pretty early on, well before me anyways.

Ugh, I'm rambling on, you get my point right? lol

I'll get there just need to get up to speed.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2007, 09:55:06 pm by Zakyrus »

Zakyrus

• Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2007, 09:55:32 pm »
Actually all it took was entire night and about 35 VERY large P.M.'s going back and forth. ;)

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2007, 12:56:45 am »
Any critique would be appreciated, Glennleo. We'll hopefully find a version of the extended dialogue that everyone likes. I know I may have inserted a couple things randomly(such as Lucca's speculation about the paradox...this was meant as a foreshadowing for later discussions that would bring in Chrono Compendium theories such as time error, time bastard, time traveler's immunity, and all that jazz into the game) but, as noted in the parenthesis, they usually do have a purpose. Still, I await your input on critique.

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2007, 01:46:40 am »
Oh, and if you're talking about that writ of passge bit I tossed in there when it comes to things that don't seem right, I was trying to come up with a way for the guards at the entrance to Guardia Castle to not sound like two jerks when Crono entered, and it would make sense that one would need some kind of written permission to enter a castle during a time of war, yah?

Zakyrus

• Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2007, 02:03:30 am »
...and it would make sense that one would need some kind of written permission to enter a castle during a time of war, yah?

Precicesly.  8)

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2007, 04:53:43 am »
Goodie.

Also, "The Queen Is Gone!" has now been added. I think I can knock together "We're Back!" as well pretty soon. I plan on using that for Lucca to speculate a bit on Time Error(since it's so short as it is), and hopefully my version will be acceptable.

EDIT: "We're Back!" is now done. Starting work on "The Trial!" now...

EDIT II: "The Trial!" is done. I may pound through "Beyond the Ruins!" today if I can.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 08:07:48 am by Kyronea »

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2007, 02:05:12 pm »
(Previous post originally early yesterday has been copied and reposted.)

"Beyond the Ruins!" "The Factory Ruins!" and "The End of Time!" have all been added. I added a bit about Time Error in Gaspar's dialogue: hopefully it's acceptable. I'm working on "The Village of Magic!" right now.

EDIT: "The Village of Magic!" is complete, though I may decide to add more to it at a later time, as I'm not entirely certain it is satisfactory as it stands. I will work on "The Hero Appears!" after I finish my lunch.

EDIT II: Yeah, okay, seems the lack of quality in my sleep lately is affecting my writing capabilities, as even though I've mostly finished "The Hero Appears!" I'm not sure I like everything I've put into it AND I'm pretty sure what I'm putting into it now is crap, so I'm going to halt for today and work on it tomorrow. Hopefully I'll be able to sleep better tonight.

EDIT III: "The Hero Appears!" is uploaded. I'm going to go ahead and do "Tarta and the Frog!" as well. (Yes, I renamed Tata Tarta. I like Tarta better, because it sounds better.) Also, note that I suggest making the Cursed Woods inaccessible until the Hero Medal is retrived from Tarta in "Tarta and the Frog!" in some manner. Perhaps Frog should simply not show up in his little house until after that event. Should be easy enough to code.

EDIT IV: "Tarta and the Frog!" has been added. I'll start work on the next chapter now. If we can, I'd like to rename it "The Ancient Mineral: Dreamstone!" as opposed to "The Rare Red Rock!" as I like the title I suggested better. If that's not possible, we can leave it "The Rare Red Rock!" or perhaps change it in another way. I just really don't like the current title of the chapter, that's all.

EDIT V: "The Ancient Mineral: Dreamstone!" has been uploaded. Now working on "Footsteps! Follow!"

EDIT VI: "Footsteps! Follow!" "The Masamune!" and "Magus' Castle!" have all been posted.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2007, 06:07:08 pm by Kyronea »

Zakyrus

• Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2007, 02:08:04 pm »
EDIT III: "The Hero Appears!" is uploaded. I'm going to go ahead and do "Tarta and the Frog!" as well. (Yes, I renamed Tata Tarta. I like Tarta better, because it sounds better.) Also, note that I suggest making the Cursed Woods inaccessible until the Hero Medal is retrived from Tarta in "Tarta and the Frog!" in some manner. Perhaps Frog should simply not show up in his little house until after that event. Should be easy enough to code.

That's fine, however I didn't really plan on changing names, names for me has always been different than changing text. I always thought that "Tata" made him seem like "Tot" or "Todeller", a name obviously unworthy of "Hero". As for Frog not appearing until after that event, is actually already added (one of the many events I forgot to mention). We'll just need to dialouge for this scene (walking in to Frog's house and the party saying that there's no one here...this fixes the loophole that you can search Frog's house before he's there.)

EDIT IV: "Tarta and the Frog!" has been added. I'll start work on the next chapter now. If we can, I'd like to rename it "The Ancient Mineral: Dreamstone!" as opposed to "The Rare Red Rock!" as I like the title I suggested better. If that's not possible, we can leave it "The Rare Red Rock!" or perhaps change it in another way. I just really don't like the current title of the chapter, that's all.

Not a problem to change titles names, I really didn't like a "The Rare Red Rock" as it is now.

...All this stuff looks nice, keep up the good work. I'll start adding this stuff to the ROM when I get the Zeal Palace expansion done.

Zakyrus

• Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2007, 02:09:40 pm »

That's fine, however I didn't really plan on changing names, names for me has always been different than changing text. I always thought that "Tata" made him seem like "Tot" or "Todeller", a name obviously unworthy of "Hero". As for Frog not appearing until after that event, is actually already added (one of the many events I forgot to mention). We'll just need to dialouge for this scene (walking in to Frog's house and the party saying that there's no one here and leave...this fixes the loophole that you can search Frog's house before he's there and potentially uncover part of the Masamune -- even though you really can't.)

Not a problem to change titles names, I really didn't like "The Rare Red Rock" as it is now.

...All this stuff looks nice, keep up the good work. I'll start adding this stuff to the ROM when I get the Zeal Palace expansion done.

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2007, 07:39:40 pm »
Understood on the Frog and Tata bits.

Also, "Forward to the Past!" and "Unnatural Selection?" have been uploaded. I'll work on "The Magical Kingdom: Zeal!" tomorrow. I'd do it now, but I'm feeling a little woozy and tired as it is from having all that blood drawn at the doctor's earlier(I'm being tested for diebetes, among other things, because my mom was recently diagnosed with it) so I need rest. But don't worry: tomorrow it shall be written. I'm looking forward to it, as I finally get to write some Zealian goodness!