Author Topic: Crazy Ideas Thread (outdated)  (Read 29137 times)

Kyronea

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
Re: Crazy Ideas Thread
« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2007, 04:03:48 am »
I think we should have Toma appear in the Giant's Claw. He disappears after he gives you his sake to pour on his grave, right? And we do find a journal note from him in the Claw. I think we should have him show up there. Maybe his grave can show he died the next day after you spoke to him in 600 A.D., and you can rescue him from the Rust Tyrano. I think that might work out a little bit better, and give Toma a bit more time in the story to show up. What do you think?

Zakyrus

• Entity
  • Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • "Bouncy, bouncy, bouncy... --!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2007, 04:12:41 am »
I think we should have Toma appear in the Giant's Claw. He disappears after he gives you his sake to pour on his grave, right? And we do find a journal note from him in the Claw. I think we should have him show up there. Maybe his grave can show he died the next day after you spoke to him in 600 A.D., and you can rescue him from the Rust Tyrano. I think that might work out a little bit better, and give Toma a bit more time in the story to show up. What do you think?

Yes, that will work very well. Also, in the Giant's Claw, you have to walk out and go to Guardia. (it doesn't warp you out anymore). Saving Toma can work well. In the bar when he says he'll find the Sun Stone first, he now reacts if you already have it.

I would love to stay and do this all night but I have to work tomarrow.  :x So I must sadly bid farewell for now, I probably won't be on until later this weekend, unfortunately. However, I will continue to add all text and books to the game in the meantime.
~Later

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2007, 04:14:57 am »
I would like for the warp out to be kept, if only because the Claw is rather long and the number of monster encounters would make a journey back tedious, but perhaps merely warping us to the outside of the Claw next to the Epoch would work.

Alright, I will speak with you again when you return. I'll want to take a look at the other Zealian books you've come up with and edit them, if that's alright, before you enter them into the game, though. In any case, goodnight.

EDITSU: When you return, Zakyrus, we need to remember to fix the glitch involving the second jury member in the trial so talking to the girl and then returning her cat doesn't cause it to randomly switch between guilty and not guilty.
Also, I think the juror sprites should be changed so that a few of them are old women instead.

And also, music wise, we need to mess around a wee bit with Lavos' Theme to make it sound scarier and more dramatic. I know it's rather fear-inspiring and dramatic as it is, but if we can make it even more so--since Lavos in our hack will be much more powerful--we should do so most certainly. Don't forget about placing the full version of Frog's theme in the game if we can.

Maybe compose a "Boss Battle 3" as well, if only because some boss battles are even more epic than the ones that warrented Boss Battle 2, but don't deserve either of the final boss battle tracks played, as nothing deserves that other than Lavos himself. The battles againt Queen Zeal and Quetzelcoatl would be good examples of the kind of epic battles I speak of.

We should also rename Lab 16 and Lab 32 Ruins 16 and Ruins 32 respectively since the lab part never made any sense and that's what they were called in the original. Also rename Geno Dome Genocidome while we're at it.

Would it be possible to shrink the size of the font in the text windows? I ask because I think we should try and fit more text into one window than was previously possible, since the font is too large as it is. A couple sizes down ought to do it, as it should still be easily readable at that size. I just think that considering the size of the text windows, the font size is too limiting.

We might also want to replace the Lightning graphic in the menu with a new Light graphic. Originally I was going to suggest taking the one from the Japanese version, but after taking a look at a Japanese ROM I realized that obviously isn't going to work, so we'll have to make a new one, which shouldn't be too hard, all things considered. We should extract the Light graphic from the Japanese ROM anyway, though, so we can use the same colour backround for our new Light graphic.

I also think we should leave the Melchior flashback till later in the story rather than have it right when the player takes the Masamune to him to be reforged. I say this because I've been thinking a lot about this flashback and unfortunately I don't see any way of doing it without accidentely giving away the fact that Melchior is from Zeal. We can have him tell the party the story after the Black Omen rises, when the party decides to visit him and ask him about the events in Zeal. This can be a side bit as such that is not part of the main story, but merely expands upon events.

Oh, and in any public release betas, we should have NPCs of all of the Chrono Trigger+ gang(or at least you, Zakyrus) run at the party whereever they are in the game(say the new dialogue up to only the End of Time is in the game, for instance, and that's all that was put in, the NPCs would show up there) and blab at them about how it's the end of the demo, that everything else in the game is unchanged, yadda yadda stuff like that, thanking them for playing and all that jazz. It would just be a little tiny event that should be easily programmed. Said NPCs would disappear after we've said what we have to say and the player can continue on if they feel like it.

And I've got yet another idea: the Black Omen always shows itself being destroyed in 12,000 B.C. regardless of era, right? Why not make two new animations, for destruction in 600 A.D. and destruction in 1000 A.D. respectively? Then we can have Lavos show up in both too, as something neat.

Oooh, and maybe even have a little bit in the main ending about that depending on which era you destroyed the Omen in. Maybe even make it so that the Omen is only destroyable once, which would make more sense if it exists out of time...and it's not like the Prism Dresses/Helms will be all that useful with the new armour...AND we have better dungeons to train on...

While we're at it, let's remove the tab charming from the Tubsters and Aliens and place those on tougher monsters elsewhere, such as, say, the Cleft of Dimensions? Something like that, at least.

Oh hey, I know: for Ayla's final quest in the Valley of the Giants, since she doesn't have equipable weapons, maybe she should get a unique piece of armour/helm/an auto-upgrade to her stats like Robo does somehow, as a different bonus.

And for the Denadoro Mountains quest for Crono, it should deal with his father and his ancestry in San Dorino. Maybe find out lots of details about his missing father and whatnot. It'd all be non-canon information since there's nothing else in game about his father, but that's true about everything else we're adding anyway, so let's not worry about that. We'll have to ponder about his father for a bit...I've seen stuff in fanfics that range from him being the Entity(which makes no sense if its the Planet, which is the tack we're taking) to his father being some serial rapist/killer, which disgusted me to be honest. We should also stack the entire mountain in 1000 A.D. with various little cutscenes of Crono remembering stuff, climaxing with a huge scene at the top in the cave. Probably not a boss fight though, because I'm not seeing where that would work as of yet. But, you never know.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 03:44:37 pm by Kyronea »

Zakyrus

• Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2007, 02:47:09 pm »
I would like for the warp out to be kept, if only because the Claw is rather long and the number of monster encounters would make a journey back tedious, but perhaps merely warping us to the outside of the Claw next to the Epoch would work.

I tested this and it only takes a minute to get out.

Alright, I will speak with you again when you return. I'll want to take a look at the other Zealian books you've come up with and edit them, if that's alright, before you enter them into the game, though. In any case, goodnight.

All I have has been posted into the Zeal Library Books Thread.

EDITSU: When you return, Zakyrus, we need to remember to fix the glitch involving the second jury member in the trial so talking to the girl and then returning her cat doesn't cause it to randomly switch between guilty and not guilty.
Also, I think the juror sprites should be changed so that a few of them are old women instead.

It's actually not a glitch, if you talk to the girl before you bring her cat back the one juror will say guilty. Anyways, I am
trying to change this one to if Marle bumped into you, or you into her.

And also, music wise, we need to mess around a wee bit with Lavos' Theme to make it sound scarier and more dramatic. I know it's rather fear-inspiring and dramatic as it is, but if we can make it even more so--since Lavos in our hack will be much more powerful--we should do so most certainly. Don't forget about placing the full version of Frog's theme in the game if we can.

Lavos Music will be way better. As for Frog's, we'll do it if possible.

Maybe compose a "Boss Battle 3" as well, if only because some boss battles are even more epic than the ones that warrented Boss Battle 2, but don't deserve either of the final boss battle tracks played, as nothing deserves that other than Lavos himself. The battles againt Queen Zeal and Quetzelcoatl would be good examples of the kind of epic battles I speak of.

I don't know about importing music yet -- though I've put alot of though into this: I want to add ALOT of imports into the game. Like "Catastrophe" (meeting Kefka & Gestahl on the Floating Continent in FF6) for fighting Zeal and "Obsession" from Seiken Densetsu 3 for Quetzelcoatl.

We should also rename Lab 16 and Lab 32 Ruins 16 and Ruins 32 respectively since the lab part never made any sense and that's what they were called in the original. Also rename Geno Dome Genocidome while we're at it.

Hehe. It's "Lab 16 Ruins" and "Lab 32 Ruins", and already "Genocide Dome". (This is one of the things I did from the start) :)

Would it be possible to shrink the size of the font in the text windows? I ask because I think we should try and fit more text into one window than was previously possible, since the font is too large as it is. A couple sizes down ought to do it, as it should still be easily readable at that size. I just think that considering the size of the text windows, the font size is too limiting.

I have no idea on this. I asked Gieger several times about being able to resize the text windows themselves so I can have up to 10 lines of text (yeah would take up the whole screen but would be great for books and such) as well as 10 decision slots (for custom stores) also textboxes need to be shrinkable to 1 so we can have a textbox show up at the top of the screen when walking into important areas. So when walking upto Azala and the Black Tyrano it would say:
"     Tower of Destiny     " -- 1 lined-textbox at the top of the screen

We might also want to replace the Lightning graphic in the menu with a new Light graphic. Originally I was going to suggest taking the one from the Japanese version, but after taking a look at a Japanese ROM I realized that obviously isn't going to work, so we'll have to make a new one, which shouldn't be too hard, all things considered. We should extract the Light graphic from the Japanese ROM anyway, though, so we can use the same colour backround for our new Light graphic.

Possibly. I'll have to put some thought into how to do this.

I also think we should leave the Melchior flashback till later in the story rather than have it right when the player takes the Masamune to him to be reforged. I say this because I've been thinking a lot about this flashback and unfortunately I don't see any way of doing it without accidentely giving away the fact that Melchior is from Zeal. We can have him tell the party the story after the Black Omen rises, when the party decides to visit him and ask him about the events in Zeal. This can be a side bit as such that is not part of the main story, but merely expands upon events.

Works for me.

Oh, and in any public release betas, we should have NPCs of all of the Chrono Trigger+ gang(or at least you, Zakyrus) run at the party whereever they are in the game(say the new dialogue up to only the End of Time is in the game, for instance, and that's all that was put in, the NPCs would show up there) and blab at them about how it's the end of the demo, that everything else in the game is unchanged, yadda yadda stuff like that, thanking them for playing and all that jazz. It would just be a little tiny event that should be easily programmed. Said NPCs would disappear after we've said what we have to say and the player can continue on if they feel like it.

I was thinking about something alone the lines of this.  :)

And I've got yet another idea: the Black Omen always shows itself being destroyed in 12,000 B.C. regardless of era, right? Why not make two new animations, for destruction in 600 A.D. and destruction in 1000 A.D. respectively? Then we can have Lavos show up in both too, as something neat.

Oooh, and maybe even have a little bit in the main ending about that depending on which era you destroyed the Omen in. Maybe even make it so that the Omen is only destroyable once, which would make more sense if it exists out of time...and it's not like the Prism Dresses/Helms will be all that useful with the new armour...AND we have better dungeons to train on...
Definately the second one.

While we're at it, let's remove the tab charming from the Tubsters and Aliens and place those on tougher monsters elsewhere, such as, say, the Cleft of Dimensions? Something like that, at least.

Already done. :D

Oh hey, I know: for Ayla's final quest in the Valley of the Giants, since she doesn't have equipable weapons, maybe she should get a unique piece of armour/helm/an auto-upgrade to her stats like Robo does somehow, as a different bonus.

I was actually thinking about this for everyone at some point in the game. :)

And for the Denadoro Mountains quest for Crono, it should deal with his father and his ancestry in San Dorino. Maybe find out lots of details about his missing father and whatnot. It'd all be non-canon information since there's nothing else in game about his father, but that's true about everything else we're adding anyway, so let's not worry about that. We'll have to ponder about his father for a bit...I've seen stuff in fanfics that range from him being the Entity(which makes no sense if its the Planet, which is the tack we're taking) to his father being some serial rapist/killer, which disgusted me to be honest. We should also stack the entire mountain in 1000 A.D. with various little cutscenes of Crono remembering stuff, climaxing with a huge scene at the top in the cave. Probably not a boss fight though, because I'm not seeing where that would work as of yet. But, you never know.

Instead of a Boss waiting at the top, have the boss appear after some huge flashback.

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2007, 04:41:32 pm »
Okay, nice to know all of that stuff. Also nice to see you back Zakyrus...I was starting to get a wee bit worried. I've got some stuff I need to do, then I'll start some more work on the storyline dialogue stuff.

One thing though: I don't think we want to import music from other games if we can avoid it, if only because I'd like to keep it to Chrono Trigger music alone. Anything we compose would fit the style of the music, but if we import something else...but, still, that's up to you. I simply feel unsure about it, that's all.

Zakyrus

• Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2007, 04:46:31 pm »
How bout radical unused pre-release stuff? there were like 5 unused songs and some of them like the Tyrano Boss music would be perfect.

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 08, 2007, 05:07:43 pm »
Yes, that is more than fine. I don't know why that didn't occur to me before.

Also, was my idea about mimicking the Proto Dome situation when you lose the Gate Key in 65,000,000 B.C. a good one? That is, not allowing you to switch in the party member back in the End of Time and having the party member in your current party that you didn't take along with Crono and Ayla stay in the Chief's Hut and be switchable with the other member a la Proto Dome?

As for Tarta...eh, I just liked the sound of Tarta better than Tata.

Zakyrus

• Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 08, 2007, 05:10:28 pm »
Yes, that is more than fine. I don't know why that didn't occur to me before.

Also, was my idea about mimicking the Proto Dome situation when you lose the Gate Key in 65,000,000 B.C. a good one? That is, not allowing you to switch in the party member back in the End of Time and having the party member in your current party that you didn't take along with Crono and Ayla stay in the Chief's Hut and be switchable with the other member a la Proto Dome?

Perfect. Yeah, you should not allowed to switch party members.

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 08, 2007, 05:16:31 pm »
When will a beta be ready for test play by Chrono Trigger+ staff? I'm almost a little too eager to mess around with the betas and check out our work, plus it gives us all a better indication of the status of the project.

Zakyrus

• Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 08, 2007, 05:25:22 pm »
I have to rebalance the monsters, items, weapons, etc again  :x

Import the Millennial Fair stuff, Blackjack, SP go up to 50,000 and carry over on New Game+
Finish the Zeal expansion stuff

Import some a few other locations and stuff. Maybe the storyline up to Medina?

Probably 2 weeks?

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 08, 2007, 05:30:39 pm »
Two weeks is fine by me. Perhaps by that time I'll finally be finished with the storyline dialogue and can move on to the NPC dialogue.

As for the cut-off point...yeah, Medina sounds good.

Oh, that reminds me: if we're going to have NPCs of ourselves shout at the player when they reach the cut-off point in the demo, we need to come up with them. I'm thinking for mine you can just use Lucca's sprites and maybe give them a different palatte, say Crono's as an example, so we don't confuse the player. Also, you'll probably be Melchior, right? After all, you did say there was one of Melchior in black, so you could use that maybe. What about Glennleo though...that's going to be a tough decision.

Zakyrus

• Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 13, 2007, 01:51:15 am »
Blackbird (escape idea)

Defeat as few of Dalton's minions as possible if you defeat X (X being the lowest amount humanly possible) the more you defeated the less of some kind of reward you'll get later. I am going to use this as a random gem amount modifier later (when you defeat the Kraken and open the treasure chest it's guarding. So if you can defeat only 6, you would get the three gems PLUS 6 more gems of random types. If you defeated 7, you would get 3+5 gems, and so on.)

I do want to add alot of points in the game where if you make a decision it can drastically affect the outcome later (sort of like telling the girl in Zeal to burn the plant screws you over for the Fiona quest).
« Last Edit: March 13, 2007, 01:52:57 am by Zakyrus »

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 13, 2007, 05:30:08 pm »
Sounds like a good idea to me, so long as we don't pull a Final Fantasy XII on everyone and refuse to tell them that(or at least have a few hints towards it somewhere in the game. I speak of the requirement for getting the Zodiac Spear in the Necrohol of Nabudis, which no one was ever told how to get, and it involved not opening certain chests or otherwise the Spear wouldn't be there. Not a single hint towards it in the game, and only people who bought the strategy guide/looked it up online would know about it So, we shouldn't do that kind of thing to the player, as it's unfair.

Zakyrus

• Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 13, 2007, 05:34:19 pm »
Yeah I wouldn't do that to the player. Gina could tell Crono to go to the Mayor's Manor first(before the fair), (which will be enhanced) because the Mayor wants to see you or something. There will be new person in the Mayor's manor that does tell you about some of the new things, such as random ores/gems/herbs in areas. Another new person will tell you how "your choices affect your reality" or something like that. Plus I will have it written in the features list upon release.

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 13, 2007, 05:38:29 pm »
Yeah I wouldn't do that to the player. Gina could tell Crono to go to the Mayor's Manor first(before the fair), (which will be enhanced) because the Mayor wants to see you or something. There will be new person in the Mayor's manor that does tell you about some of the new things, such as random ores/gems/herbs in areas. Another new person will tell you how "your choices affect your reality" or something like that. Plus I will have it written in the features list upon release.
Right. We should keep anything Gina says to that effect in her NPC dialogue, as the first thing she says to you if you talk to her after the intro scene. Then she can default to a more normal "have fun at the fair" style dialogue for a wee bit. In any case, so long as we don't hide that kind of thing from the player, I'm all for it. The more we can expand and enrich this game the better.