Author Topic: The Emotional Flagellation Thread  (Read 3246 times)

BlueThunder

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
The Emotional Flagellation Thread
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2007, 08:23:44 pm »
Well what can I say I was extreamly bored of this site, and this doesn't mean that I'm back for good. I hate getting in fights with you guys. Also I found a site that is better, so I spend most of my internet time on there.

Which site would this be?

First of all, why do you need to know that?

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2007, 11:51:00 pm »
This has gone off-topic. In the words of of ol'Grey.

Topic Locked

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2007, 12:20:45 am »
Let the matter be resolved in an open forum. Experience and history teach that matters are better resolved in open with all parties attending than closed up so that parties can form antagonistic beliefs and collusions in secret.

I hate internet admins. I hate their stinking presence in the communities they govern and their tendency to abuse power and impose judgment based on personal offense. I think many on this forum can agree that I take an extremely casual and nonchalant attitude around the site. Any trumpeting of my own achievements is done in lieu of the jesting inside joke that seems to have exploded recently (for better or for worse; I speak of all the Ramsus, ZeaLitY, Lord J idolatry going on in the welcome forum). But I have repeatedly said that I do not like the fact that I have power as judge, jury, executioner, builder, and visionary over the Compendium, as I'm continually worried that people may behave differently cause I am so actively involved in things.

I vehemently dislike most administrators, and I further dislike those who suck up to them. The inside joke really doesn't count, since we all know that's in jest; similarly, people can vouch that the Compendium is not your average forum. There have been two permanent bans ever in our history; one was for Ye Grande Old Idiot's direct trolling and flaming in 2003, and the other was for Corey Taylor's same behavior in 2006. Any other disciplinary action has been temporary. The attitude of this forum and the discussion held within is by and large mature and intelligent; it was created this way, and everyone who has joined the site since has probably viewed it as something to be expected of them.

So please, know that my ribbing was not an administrative action.

Rather, I grew weary in the old days of BlueThunder's constant one-word replying (I think he helped GrayLensman to finally make that rule) and grammar infractions. Being a grammar nazi is not something you can really justifiably get angry with except for desiring common literacy and decency, but when broken grammar by an English speaker is coupled with generally worthless posting, it can amplify the worthlessness.

BlueThunder said he had found a better site; to try and poke him back for the touché, I called him on his crappy posting. You'll notice I don't really do that all too often. I've left criticism of a lot of forumers up to my fellows, because I don't want to cross the boundary into disciplinary action as an administrator. I don't like having it as a pure autocracy, and I also trust all my other administrators to handle these situations. Lastly, I need to maintain my own perfect diplomatic image, considering I've informally become Grand Central Station for communicating issues or suggestions for the site. So in summary, it's not related to an admin thing. BlueThunder, a not-so-good poster, threw a small jab at the Compendium, and I jabbed back to learn more. Other than that, I try to maintain a casual attitude around here. Everyone who has seen my wildly out of control posts or surreal use of humor and images should be aware. God forbid this turn into another RPG site where some fucker administrator cultivates an air of intimidation or reverence. If I am ever to be treated in a different manner than others on this forum, it should be because of my merits and achievements. Better to merit a scepter than possess one. I am not going to be the "big boss" that people try to suck up to in order to advance their own stuff or content for the site, or the person people worry about offending. There are rules to this forum, and no one is above them. Similarly, the spirit of these rules shall be enforced, and all infractions shall be reviewed on a case-by-case basis to achieve an enlightened, considerate system. I am subject to the rules as others are. The only one I occasionally bend is the one about posting images, but this is mostly in the welcome forum where the total response amounts to "Hi" anyhow.

cupn00dles

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Beneath this mask there is more than flesh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2007, 12:59:33 am »
I speak of all the Ramsus, ZeaLitY, Lord J idolatry going on in the welcome forum

Actually it was only supposed to be fear from Lord J Mighty Smiteness, but people got sort of carried away. DO NOT blame them, though, as it's all Josh's fault for not having smitten them into oblivion before they started spreading terror.

And, well, it would seem to me that one of the things that make the Compendium's forum different from other internet forums is the fact that administrators don't go around recklessly applying the Compendium's rules. They are generally tolerant and capable of analyzing each case, thus applying the rules according to each situation. It is funny how such simple thing makes so much difference.

If there was an overall word I would use to describe the Compendium's users, this word would be "civilized". With a few exceptions, of course. Like certain all-caps-and-bold posts by a certain admin. ISN'T THAT RIGHT, MR. ZEALITY. Oops.

EDIT: APPLYING IS SPELLED WITH 2 D's, DAMMIT! Shit, how I hate that.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2007, 01:13:55 am by cupn00dles »

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2007, 01:04:22 am »
Lord J esq or w/e I think it was him.  I got kinda pricked at because "Omgawsh the menu is showing and covering a part of his leg in the screeny!!!111!!one!eleven!!  REDO IT!"  I'm sorry it's just I'm kinda getting fed up with how nit picky most of the "Higher post" and stuck-up ppl act like.  IDK if he has higher posts or not but he definately acts like he's most important on this forum.  Once again, sorry, i'm just kinda in a bitchy mood today.

Me? Sorry to have offended you.

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2007, 01:43:35 am »
And ZeaLitY, if he was just another Corey Taylor, I would be laughing beside you. But he is my brother. You understand, right? I can't just sit there and let you guys rat on him. Especially when I have to listen to his bitching outside of the forum. I just hate it when people, in the outside world or the internet, sit and throw insults behind his back.

Ugh, now I sound like a big brother. :x This is why I didn't want him to ever join this forum.

Kyronea

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2007, 02:08:20 am »
And ZeaLitY, if he was just another Corey Taylor, I would be laughing beside you. But he is my brother. You understand, right? I can't just sit there and let you guys rat on him. Especially when I have to listen to his bitching outside of the forum. I just hate it when people, in the outside world or the internet, sit and throw insults behind his back.

Ugh, now I sound like a big brother. :x This is why I didn't want him to ever join this forum.
Oh, I know that feeling all too well. For a short while I frequented the Spiderweb Software forums(guys who made the Geneforge and Avernum games) and during that period my little brother joined up and immediately turned into a common internet nooblet. It embarrased me, especially since I defended him all over the place and made me wish he never had access to the internet from the family computer(I've got my own separate one I built.) But, brothers will be brothers. It's a fact of life. Don't stress out too much. Eventually I let him be himself and handle things on his own, and I suggest the same be done here. People gotta learn for themselves how to behave, how to interact with others, and to stand up for themselves. You can't be the older brother forever, anymore than a parent can be The Parent forever.

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2007, 09:15:19 am »
He found a better site, oh well.  I really don't think you have the right to make him tell you what the site is, even if you are an admin.

PS: And in the words of cup, you really don't have much room to nitpick at spelling since you've made at least 3+ topics or more of caps bigger then the frikin page about nothing.  And if it is something, it's something from years back...
« Last Edit: February 21, 2007, 09:21:34 am by justin3009 »

cupn00dles

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2007, 10:12:57 am »
PS: And in the words of cup, you really don't have much room to nitpick at spelling since you've made at least 3+ topics or more of caps bigger then the frikin page about nothing.  And if it is something, it's something from years back...

You don't really get sarcasm, do you?

Anyway, what's the matter in nitpicking people's spelling? It's not like a terrible offense or something, it's just harmless fun-making. The one and only problem I can see in this matter, are people who get too easily and too recklessly offended. I mean, even if someone writes something with bad intentions, and that would seem to be the least of cases around here, you will only get offended if you want to. I mean, it's a freaking internet forum, why would you get hard-feelings on people who all you know about is the way they write and the opinions they supposedly hold on certain subjects.

Now, don't you tell me you haven't at least ONCE felt an urge to nitpick at Jessica Ingmann's TEH ACCENT spelling? Huh? Huh?

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Re: The Emotional Flagellation Thread
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2007, 03:12:40 pm »
I speak of all the Ramsus, ZeaLitY, Lord J idolatry going on in the welcome forum.

I was guilty of that several times. I apologize.

Mystic Frog King

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • It's a secret to everybody!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2007, 03:50:47 pm »
¬.¬

I don't know who the hell this guy is, but If he's insulting my wives, he's in  lot of trouble >:]

So, who is this guy?

Besides, sites are relative to one topic or another. I, for instance, would never turn to this place for political discussion, but for Chrono series stuff, it's fantastic.

That said, some people do seem a little hostile...AuraTwilight in particular, who seems to get really upset whenever anyone differs from his opinions on various aspects of the Chrono series even a little bit.

Well, quite.

I actually posted in that 'LOALZ OCEN PALC R CORNOPOLICE' topic to bait AuraTwilight... I'd noticed him being a wee bit arrogant and wanted to know how good he was at actual debating.

cupn00dles

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2007, 03:58:47 pm »
I actually posted in that 'LOALZ OCEN PALC R CORNOPOLICE' topic to bait AuraTwilight... I'd noticed him being a wee bit arrogant and wanted to know how good he was at actual debating.

Did it turn out to be a catastrophe? CASTRATROSPHY?

Mystic Frog King

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • It's a secret to everybody!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2007, 04:00:26 pm »
Well, yeah. But Aura Twilight brought up science and complicated stuff- so HE CHEATED! T-T

Ramsus

« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2007, 09:34:15 pm »
I know Zeality was joking, but do you really want to joke about being stupid to a retarded kid? It's just not right.

Actually, the way I see it, if someone can't grasp the basic mechanics of English grammar yet, there's no use in nitpicking them. It takes a lot of active effort to internalize good writing style and make using it habit. If some kid decided to spend his time having too much fun instead, then bravo for him.

If you do choose to use "correct" grammar though, you better damn well use it with style, or I'll slit your throat and hang your bloody carcass over an orphanage after I rip your face off and crush your skull in with by right foot.

For those actually interested in thoughtfully improving their writing style, taking some time to read E.B. Strunk's The Elements of Style is a very good read. Just remember that the idea is to start thinking actively about style and getting a feel for it, not blindly following some guidelines in some book. Reading about writing style and grammar isn't enough either. You actually have to read texts that are well-written, then practice good style in your own writing through constant usage.

Ramsus

« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2007, 09:38:45 pm »
You shouldn't frikin make fun of him for saying he finds a "better" site.  I have to admit this is probably the best site but most of the people in this forum are either dead or a bunch of pricks.  No offense, it's just half of the people i've talked to act like assholes.

That's because there's a lot of assholes here. Mostly because I come in from time to time and set a new standard, so everyone feels they have to step up their game a little. Before you know it, all of the biggest assholes on the 'net are here competing just to match me.

It's a bit embarrassing, really...