Author Topic: Name you ideal Chrono Break character designer  (Read 6170 times)

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
Re: Name you ideal Chrono Break character designer
« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2007, 09:32:05 pm »
Mmmh, wow, I've just discovered Dragon Quest Swords:

http://www.rpgamer.com/games/dq/dqswordtmq/propaganda/dqswordtmq5.jpg

Toriyama's designs are quite decent here and... relatively original. Is he getting better? I still don't want him on Chrono Break personally, but I must say these 3 designs look nice, especially in-game.

lockgar

• Architect of Kajar
  • Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2007, 07:01:58 am »
Many of the dragon quest games share that level of quality, also have you seen blue dragon? I would love to play a Chrono game that looks like that.

I would have to say a few more of the cross charicters share similar, which again, I'm not saying it is necessary a bad thing. Serge and Glenn is just but one example of many, but thats ok, if you do not think so too.

My key reason why I would want Akira back is how he puts life in his charicters. When they where shocked, you could tell they where shocked, when they where confused, sad, happy, aggressive, you could tell by the look on their face.

Art design is a very hard thing to judge though, for example, one of my friend hates the entire mana series after secret of mana, because of how it looks. "Why are there hats so big, why are their clothes so puffy. ex cetera." I liked how the mana games looked, but he hated them. So i couldn't say a certain artist design is better.

Chrono'99

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2007, 05:35:14 pm »
Meh, the Dragon Quest characters are usually the classical Goku/Bulma/Trunks clone kinds, while the Blue Dragon characters are simply boring (they're ultra-slim and have boring clothes, and that booby character is a walking joke). I certainly wouldn't want a Chrono game that looks closely like Blue Dragon (on the technical side, the game's awesome though).

I understand what you mean with Toriyama's characters being expressive though. It did match with Chrono Trigger's actiony atmosphere and storyline. However, I think his style isn't "poetic" enough. His characters are so expressive that their facial expressions precisely overshadow their personality. I mean... take all these artworks and CGs of Kid pondering and staring at the sea... Aren't they all very poetic? You're left to imagine what she's thinking about, you're delving into her thoughts... Toriyama's characters on the other hand are so expressive that you really never get to think about what's inside their head. It's all about action with him. I think his style doesn't match with Kato (story), Mitsuda (music) and Honne's (background art) more cohesive and poetic visions.

lockgar

• Architect of Kajar
  • Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2007, 10:29:05 pm »
No one ever mentions dr. slum, its always dragon ball...

The problem with the clothes is that most of the games take place in a middle age Europe style world, where it would seem out of place to wear something eye catching unless you had money, or your profession required a different look, which some of the charicters in dragon quest have, and those charicters usually have unique outfits, if your character is suppose to be, for example, a son of a farmer, you would expect him to look the part. Thought the monsters, as you said before, are always well designed. Half of the fights I tend to get weirded out. "MY GOD that bell just BIT ME". I love it. Much of his art work is more on the side of weird. The mana games share this, but his are of a "what is that?!?" nature.

One thing i notice in cross is that many (not all) of the charicters seemed to share a common expressionless face. When they where happy, they would smile a little, when they where sad, they would frown a little. Some parts I thought should have been, angrier or more surprised, it seemed they just shrugged it off, then again, you did have a lot of charicters in that game.

(regardless, I loved the game the game greatly, the art was lovely, i just wish there was more Crono, or Magus, or frog/Glenn)

Then there is that cursed purple hair, any male character that Akira draws who has purple hair is apparently trunks, he might not look anything like trunks, but everyone is going to call him trunks.

True, he wouldn't work well with just Mitsuda, but what about Mitsuda and Nobuo Uematsu like in the good old days.

Kato has made pretty up beat stories, energetic story, in the pass, their styles would mix well together, they have before.

Honne, maybe not, but they did work together in the past on CT.

Perhaps it wouldn't be as poetic, but it would surely be entertaining.

I often wounder how Chrono trigger would have looked, if it was made today.

L

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 13, 2007, 01:32:28 am »
Toriyama did ana amazing job with the non-human characters, even though his design for humans gets a bit repetative.  Perhaps he should do Frog, Robo, and all of the enemy designs, while someone else did the human characters.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #50 on: March 14, 2007, 09:09:49 pm »
Meh, the Dragon Quest characters are usually the classical Goku/Bulma/Trunks clone kinds, while the Blue Dragon characters are simply boring (they're ultra-slim and have boring clothes, and that booby character is a walking joke). I certainly wouldn't want a Chrono game that looks closely like Blue Dragon (on the technical side, the game's awesome though).

I understand what you mean with Toriyama's characters being expressive though. It did match with Chrono Trigger's actiony atmosphere and storyline. However, I think his style isn't "poetic" enough. His characters are so expressive that their facial expressions precisely overshadow their personality. I mean... take all these artworks and CGs of Kid pondering and staring at the sea... Aren't they all very poetic? You're left to imagine what she's thinking about, you're delving into her thoughts... Toriyama's characters on the other hand are so expressive that you really never get to think about what's inside their head. It's all about action with him. I think his style doesn't match with Kato (story), Mitsuda (music) and Honne's (background art) more cohesive and poetic visions.

I think that image of Magus is more than competition for that one of Kid's. Akira's characters are expressive...pssshaw at that 'poetic' nonsense anyways...you just think that because more of Yuuki's characters were alone in their settings. :lol:

Maneo

« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2007, 01:03:35 pm »
Fujishima Kosuke, the creator of Ah! My goddess, would make a beautiful
game.
 But Toriyama would be a safer choice.  :D

ChronoKiD

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 26, 2007, 08:45:55 pm »
with the technology we got nowadays.. im sure.. if toriyama will work on CB's Characters.. it'll be a whole new ballgame...

and if he indeed work on CB's Characters.. it would be really cool.. FANS of the series would surely want the original character designer to get that same feeling of the game. right?

Chrono'99

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2007, 02:28:26 pm »
Not everyone would want that. The Chrono series is the antithesis of "rehashing." Personally I'd appreciate if a third, new artist would design the characters of this brand new part of the series. Kato's spirit, Mitsuda's music and Honne's maps seem to be the only constants in the series.

Kyronea

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2007, 03:27:50 pm »
Aye. Any new Chrono game would deal with the consequences of Chrono Cross...it would probably involve Schala at least to some extent, and possibly Magus and Balthasar, but that's about it when it comes to familiar characters, at least in terms of being directly in the story. I'd expect plenty of Chrono Cross-esque ties to the individual characters of the two previous games, however, at least with Serge and Kid, along with the Trigger gang. The Rise of Porre and the fall of Guardia might also be involved.

In any case, it couldn't hurt to have a third character designer. Who, I can't say, honeslty.

cronopolis

• Porrean (+50)
  • Time travel.....pretty confusing isn't it
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 27, 2007, 04:42:25 pm »
If you look to all the great classic games, save a few, the greatest characters always have really wicked hair :lee:...just not like bushy brows :lol:, look at Crono, Ayla, Magus, they all have the most noticable doo's, and they are all pretty powerful, just making a statement.

ChronoKiD

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 28, 2007, 07:03:27 am »
i guess thats the main reason why they cant developed a new chrono game... guess they want the original team to make it so, it still have the magical feeling like when they made CT..

cronopolis

• Porrean (+50)
  • Time travel.....pretty confusing isn't it
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 28, 2007, 04:36:43 pm »
I agree with you in that, the origonal team that made CT, really hit gold with the feeling you get when you play the game for pure enjoyment, and I also agree with you Kyronea, in that it would have to deal with all the consequences, both plot, and character based, from all the previous games, however, if it they make it so it takes place before CC, but after CT, then they might be able to work out a better lineup of the favorites of BOTH GAMES :D, then they can incorperate plot scemes and scenerios from both of the games to make an even deeper story, deeper.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #58 on: March 28, 2007, 07:31:32 pm »
Chrono 4 WILL BE the first REAL Square-Enix game.

*crosses fingers and prays to any god who'll listen (...even Lavos!)*