Author Topic: Name you ideal Chrono Break character designer  (Read 6159 times)

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Re: Name you ideal Chrono Break character designer
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2007, 07:02:24 am »
Squall is simply a rather quiet character, with little respect for talking to others. He is not this stupid fad term 'emo', nor was he intended to be 'emo'. The whole point of him being silent and unpleasant is to create his character, his personality, his backstory. This also clashes with Rinoa's cheerful, talkative attitude and creates great personality clashes which result in more story and plot points.

In other words, nothing wrong with Squall.

Mystic Frog King

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • It's a secret to everybody!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2007, 01:50:49 pm »
wow you think i'm actually insulting you, im serious learn the meaning of what you say it might clear up your "lol emo" veiw on character psyche.

oh and about TP proving that character designers can create realistic characters, did you see the upped poly count version of OoT's Link? it looks just as realistic as TP's the new designs didn't really prove much.

I won't even give the 'LOL EMO' thing a dignified response.

Uh, right. Because poly count equals design. Because OoT Link has textured SEWING on his tunic. Because Link, a character that the designer was merely updating, is representative of what the designer can do. Riiiiiiiiight. Check out Midna if you want a well-designed TP character.
[/quote]

did i ever mention poly count equals design? the upped poly count version of Link shows what his design would have looked like with roughly the same limitations the TP model has. TP's drawn concepts arn't "vastly superiour" as you put it, they have more detail drawn in but the design doesn't have and major improvements, just a style change.

i wasn't expecting a dignified response on "lol emo" why the hell would I with something like that, i was just poking fun at your "solitary prefering character must be emo lol" veiw that you see in all the little immature kids.

[/quote]

But the design isn't meant to be limited by the hardware- it isn't rendered in game. So saying 'loalz if oot wuz on wii it wud hav a cool look1111' is just plain silly.

Squall is simply a rather quiet character, with little respect for talking to others. He is not this stupid fad term 'emo', nor was he intended to be 'emo'. The whole point of him being silent and unpleasant is to create his character, his personality, his backstory. This also clashes with Rinoa's cheerful, talkative attitude and creates great personality clashes which result in more story and plot points.

In other words, nothing wrong with Squall.

Fits most of the (self-proclaimed) emos that I know.

I never said emo is a bad thing, but it certainly is getting boring and seriously, Versus XIII's protagonist is the last straw.

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2007, 07:19:41 pm »
Er... how about you guys continue this debate in PMs? This topic is about Chrono Break.

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2007, 08:25:21 am »
Er... how about you guys continue this debate in PMs? This topic is about Chrono Break.

Agreed.

Back on topic, I really don't want Toriyama-san back for Chrono Break. As has been said earlier, too many of his works turn out very similar, and that's a problem that has been bothering me.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2007, 08:33:15 am »
Akira Toriyama should be back. His work on Magus and all of the Trigger characters' costumes were awesome. If anyone else had made Robo or Frog, it just wouldn't have been the same...

If not, then put Yoshitaka Amano on it (what's he doing now anyways?)...I basically just say Amano because I want him to do a fuckin bad ass painting of Magus...*drools*

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2007, 03:38:18 pm »
I don't object to the artwork Toriyama created for Chrono Trigger in the first place; I thought it was brilliant. The only problem I have with it is that his style becomes repetitive way too quickly, with far too many similar hair styles (e.g. Lucca, Bulma) and such. I liked the change to a different artist for CC.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2007, 04:28:10 pm »
People always say that comparing his characters in one series to the characters in Trigger...But I think he knows when two characters look alike. I mean, it's not an accident that Goku and Gohan look alike, after all...And personally, I always call bullshit when someone says that Crono looks like Goku because they're just saying that because they both have similar hair styles.

But where are all of these similarities within the characters of Chrono Trigger??? He can make great designs and we know it. The only reason he didn't do Cross was because he was working on Dragon Quest (& possibly other projects I no longer recall) at the time.

I liked some of the designs for the Cross characters...but like having 30+ playable characters in an RPG, some of their costumes were just out of place. I mean, are they adventurers? Because it looks like everyone's a little too Star Wars new trilogy (too shiney n clean, where's my beat up Rebel X-Wing???)...I guess I could see Guile magically whitening his clothes...>_>

Chrono'99

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2007, 07:25:13 pm »
Most of the funky characters in CC were imagined by Kato and members of the programming team, it wasn't Yuuki's idea to design Mamacha and Mojo. Toriyama would have created the same weirdies if he had been the character designer for CC.

Quote from: Masato Kato
Take Pierre, for example: we started off by saying we wanted a wacko fake hero like Tata from Trigger. We also said things like "we need at least one powerful mom," "no way we're gonna go without a twisted brat," and so on so forth. Basically a bunch of selfish wishes (laugh). Also, the staff as a whole came up with many ideas of what types of characters we wanted to put in the party. Mojo was actually a test 3D model of a doll made by one of our staff early in development. I decided, based on personal taste, "This guy's cool. Let's make him join the party!" Everyone probably thought I was just making a joke, though (laugh).

Anyway, if Toriyama had been the designer, we would never have had characters such as Lynx and Harle... And the Dragon Gods would have looked much more Dragon Ball-esque than Crono ever did.

Lee

• Porrean (+50)
  • Harle fanboy
    • View Profile
    • Ocean Pie
« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2007, 10:12:54 pm »
My vote goes definitely to Nobuteru Yuuki, because Harle's design is pure genious (and Lynx looks so badass, and Kid is too cute, and...).
Even if I prefer Schala's design from Chrono Trigger.
And I don't know many others artists/mangakas, so...
I wonder what could have done a Magus drawn by Yuuki, but I'm sure I'll see that in Chrono Break.

Chrono'99

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2007, 04:32:33 am »
I wonder what could have done a Magus drawn by Yuuki, but I'm sure I'll see that in Chrono Break.

There are drawings of both Magus and young Janus by Yuuki in the artbook Missing Piece. You can see them in Magus' entry in the encyclopedia too.

Mystic Frog King

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2007, 12:51:27 pm »

There are drawings of both Magus and young Janus by Yuuki in the artbook Missing Piece. You can see them in Magus' entry in the encyclopedia too.

Magus is SO hot in that drawing.

Ah, forget I said that...

lockgar

• Architect of Kajar
  • Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2007, 03:54:14 am »
I know this post hasn't been posted in some times, but i decided to finally check out the forums on this site.

I'm a little surprise at the fact that people would want to Nobuteru Yūki over the original Akira Toriyama design, because Akira's art looks similar. I think someone already said what I was about to say.

People always say that comparing his characters in one series to the characters in Trigger...But I think he knows when two characters look alike. I mean, it's not an accident that Goku and Gohan look alike, after all...And personally, I always call bullshit when someone says that Crono looks like Goku because they're just saying that because they both have similar hair styles.

In truth, alot of artists characters look the same. Take Final Fantasy 7 for example, if you where to replace that hair styles of Cloud's, Vincent's, and Sephiroth's with each other, and you would have that character in a different outfit.

Another fun one is if you would to take tifa from FF7:AC with Rinoa FF8

If you take into account the advancement of CG graphics "one being made for a cut scene for FF8 in 1999, and the other being made for movie in 2005", they look very similar. Since they where made by the same person.

Also, Serge and Glenn also look very similar. Glenn has more of a tan, a scar, and most importantly, a different hair style, yet they still look similar.

You can easily compare charicters from one artist work to another, try gundam seed with s-cry-ed, Family guy with American dad.

Personally, I would like Akira's art better because I love the range facial expressions he does.

Chrono'99

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2007, 07:17:04 am »
Don't worry, there's no dead topic on the Compendium, especially interesting ones like this one (I wonder why I say that ;) ).

About Tetsuya Nomura: yeah, you're right, and that's why the majority of the people on this topic think he sucks (I too). He was much better way back when he was the monster & boss designer in FFIV-V-VI. His recent design for Enuo in FFV Advance actually isn't that bad, I think Nomura's problem is that he's resting on his laurels, he could make efforts and be more original but he doesn't. But I don't want him on Chrono Break anyway...

As for Nobuteru Yuuki, your comparison between Serge and Glenn is a little exaggerated IMO. Those portrait pictures are what they are; it's totally normal that they look a little like each other since they are pictures used in dialogue boxes. I mean, it's like photos on identity cards, everybody has the same expressions on them. Aside from those 2 pictures, Serge and Glenn don't really look like each other.

Yuuki's best quality is his diversity. He can draw anything from typical manga stuff to near-Amano artwork.

[attachment deleted by admin]

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2007, 01:13:41 pm »
I'd like Amano. I love how his work feels. I get this sense of calm as I admire his works.

Mystic Frog King

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2007, 05:37:12 pm »
I think I'd have to go with Yuuki after all. I love his designs, which is odd for one who has not played the game which he is famous for.