Author Topic: Yuuji Horii: "The chances of me making a sequel to Chrono Trigger are..."  (Read 1226 times)

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
I wasn't sure where to post this since it's a little more than one year old (December 2005), but here's Yuuji Horii's opinion on a Chrono sequel:

http://www.1up.com/do/feature?pager.offset=1&cId=3146024

1UP: A lot of fans are still asking for a proper sequel to Chrono Trigger, which was a game you worked on. Would you ever want to work on a sequel? Or would you ever want to see a sequel?

YH: Since everything I would like to do can be done in a Dragon Quest title, the chances of me making a sequel to Chrono Trigger are unlikely. Although as long as the title is interesting I'd definitely love to check it out and play it, even if it's not Chrono Trigger.

Glennleo

• Chrono Trigger + Crew
  • Temporal Warrior (+900)
  • Glenn - The true Hero and weilder of the Masamune.
    • View Profile
Re: Yuuji Horii: "The chances of me making a sequel to Chrono Trigger are..."
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2007, 12:03:54 pm »
More bad news. Seems the just keep hitting us with bad news, after bad news, after bad news. (PS3 fan reference if ya didn't know lol.)

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2007, 03:32:58 pm »
More bad news. Seems the just keep hitting us with bad news, after bad news, after bad news. (PS3 fan reference if ya didn't know lol.)

This is good news. Horii had nothing to do with Chrono Cross, and the game was better for it. Horii is the mastermind of light-hearted fun games; you can compare the attitudes of Trigger and Cross as the difference between Horii and Kato. The last thing I want is a Chrono Dragon Quest rip-off with Toriyama doing things again and a plot that throws internal logic to the wind.

Mystic Frog King

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • It's a secret to everybody!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2007, 03:36:05 pm »
Is it? Hmm... I don't know, not having played CC.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2007, 03:43:34 pm »
Is it? Hmm... I don't know, not having played CC.

You're missing out on the maturation and blossoming of the Chrono series. Play it at the first available opportunity.

Mystic Frog King

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2007, 03:53:50 pm »
* Mystic Frog King mutters something about not being able to find a *cartridge* to play on his *playstation*.

Kyronea

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2007, 03:57:58 pm »
I'm not so sure I would have called Chrono Trigger lighthearted, though. From the first time I stepped into 2300 A.D. to everytime I step into it thereafter, I always feel quite affected emotionally. My heart literally hurts whenever I have to walk through that depressing, destroyed world. Then there was the destruction of Zeal, which both pissed me off and depressed me even more.  Of course this might be more due to my overactive imagination and tendency to overreact emotionally to everything, but I'm not so sure it was all that lighthearted.

...then again...given Marle's underreaction to Crono's death...as well as her actions in the ending where Crono is still dead...it certainly has lighthearted streaks.

Mystic Frog King

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2007, 04:01:51 pm »
Yes... the death was not very touching at all. More disappointing, seeing how I like Crono.

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2007, 04:12:01 pm »
Yes... the death was not very touching at all.

I found it inspiring, as the characters don't give up, not for a second. They believe - heck, perhaps even know - that Crono is still alive. Their determination gets them to Death Peak, that's enough to prove to me that it was touching.

Mystic Frog King

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2007, 04:20:58 pm »
Well, it was in a way, especially when Marle says to Dalton 'Give Crono back!', but there was no feeling of devastation that I get say, in a book, when a favorite character dies.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2007, 04:55:52 pm »
Zeal was written by Kato. I suppose the ruined future wasn't.

At any rate, the fun, textual humor was preserved in Chrono Cross; just some of the lighthearted plot devices weren't. We still have a lot of puns and jokes; however, now we're dealing with the repercussions of time travel and many other weighty themes.

White Rider

• Iokan (+1)
  • Servant of the Secret Fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2007, 03:19:56 pm »
So long as the game is excellent, it doesn't matter who works on the next Chrono game.  What does matter is that that game developers have a passion for what they're doing. If Yuuji Horii doesn't care about Chrono series, I don't think we want him working on it.