Author Topic: Who Taught Magic In Zeal?  (Read 21526 times)

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
Who Taught Magic In Zeal?
« on: August 15, 2004, 04:07:01 am »
I assume that even when the so-called "Enlightened" Ones were in Zeal, they did not automatically know Magic. For one, it's said how Schala and Janus seem to have their Magics (or lack of Magics) tested just to see if they have any ability. It makes sense that someone would teach them, if not exactly, then somewhat like how Spekkio teaches Crono & Co.

I immediately thought: The Gurus! But I also thought: Which of them would teach Magic? Did any of them even seem to know any Magic? Belthasar seems like he'd be too busy with the Epoch and the like...Melchior with his weapons...So, then, Gasper? Was there a Zealian council? Perhaps Dalton (he was a Magic user and even a Summoner)? Probably not...Or maybe it was just some of the scientists of Kajar or something? Maybe Q. Zeal herself taught Schala?

wudduh yuh t'ink?

edit: sorry about the damn double post, could someone get rid of that other one for me? Here's the stuff from that other thread btw...

Quote from: ZeaLitY

Some social workers

Quote from: Radical_Dreamer

Melechoir would be the most likely of the Gurus. The only weapon we know him to have made during the Zeal era was the Red Knife, and that's after the Queen lost it. Being the Guru of Life, he would have a great understanding of the order of nature, and, as magic was a part of life, how the elements interacted with each other and other parts of nature.

There's probably a more eloquent way to word all that, but I'm tired.

Leebot

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Black Wind Agent (+600)
    • View Profile
    • Infophilia
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2004, 04:54:08 pm »
I just thought of something: What if Spekkio is an extension or creation of Gaspar? If so, it stands to reason that Gaspar could be able to teach magic to the people of Zeal.

Symmetry

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2004, 10:04:09 pm »
These two threads should probably be merged or something.

I figure magic probably came to be in the same ways that any art or science does. In the beginning, rudimentary spells/forms of magic are used - things like levitating a rock, or healing a scratch on your arm. Eventually, this becomes more and more complex.

Who teaches it? There's probably not one single source - although we are told that Queen Zeal "nutured the development of magic", so that would suggest to me that either she or her "administration" (Works of a whole body are often attributed to one person for the sake of simplicity - or to give her all the glory, she being the monarch!) must have made some incredible breakthrouighs in the arcane studies. I'd guess that Zealians learn magic from their parents, tutors and mentors, and from each other - not just from one omniscient source.

Leebot

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Black Wind Agent (+600)
    • View Profile
    • Infophilia
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2004, 11:07:25 pm »
It's possible that innates can learn to use magic without outside help through some combination of trial, error, and luck. After some have learned, they can teach it to others. Maybe it's so common in Zeal that parents teach it to their children.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2004, 11:41:56 pm »
I don't feel this issue needs complication. Considering Zeal has libraries containing volumes of knowlede, and nearly everyone can use magic, I'd make a good guess that it isn't something to worry about; the innates of the royal family had a dominant magic trait, unlike the recessive trait of Crono and his company, and it could probably very easily be unlocked.

GrayLensman

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2004, 02:14:51 am »
It is possible that even innate magic users require some kind of training or conditioning to utilize their talent.  This would explain why the time travelers needed to have their magical abilities activated.

As I see it, the innate magic users of Zeal developed their abilities through scientific investigation.  This took two forms:  the discovery of elemental principles resulting element-utilizing technological innovation, and the application of this scientific knowledge and technology to uncover the innate magical ability of humans.  A entire city in Zeal was devoted to research of magical phenomenon.  I think that the use of innate magical ability occurred after technological advancements such as the utilization of the Sun Stone, and perhaps the discovery of innate magical ability was an unexpected result.

Asuyuka

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2005, 08:02:41 pm »
Maybe they found it on their own through trial error? Maybe, after touching that red rock, someone managed to pull it off somehow while messing around one day, and others saw what he did and wanted to learn how he did it? ;P

Or, Lavos could have taught Zeal, And Zeal taught the rest... but the 2nd ones unlikely. ;P

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2005, 01:31:26 am »
Remember that RPGs leave most of the world implicit. When you enter a village with only three houses and just seven or eight people, it's not really that small. The Kingdom of Zeal seems to be very large, certainly with a population at least in the hundreds of thousands and perhaps many more, with more than just the few cities shown on the map.

This means that, just as in the real world, no one character such as a Guru or the Queen of Zeal would be able to teach magic to everyone. Because it seems that the only difference between Enlightened and Earthbound ones is the ability to use magic, and this is without any concrete exception, we can imagine that everyone in Zeal is born with the ability to use magic. These skills would no doubt be disciplined in children by their parents and teachers. Perhaps high-level students study under some of the Big Names, but ordinary Zealish wouldn't have access to the valuable time of those types.

Sentenal

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2005, 10:19:39 pm »
It could be that the Enlightened ones are taught Magic like kids now days are taugh in school.  But it is interesting to note that their magical powers disappeared after the Ocean Palace disaster.  It seems like their magic was tied to the mamon machine, getting power from Lavos.  But then how did Crono and co. get their magically powers, as they didn't have any connection to the Mamon machine?

SilentMartyr

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chronotrigger.info
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2005, 07:32:30 pm »
Like Magus thier power came from the planet, not directly from Lavos.

Sentenal

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2005, 10:32:53 pm »
if it came from the planet, then why did the enlighten ones loose their powers after the ocean palace disaster?

razor's edge

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2005, 11:32:40 pm »
He meant Crono & Co's magic came from the planet, not the Enlightened Ones' magic. The Enlightened Ones' magic came from Lavos through the Mammon Machine.

Also, worth mentioning is that one of the Enlightened Ones refers to Crono & Co's magic as 'primitive'.

GreenGannon

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2005, 06:45:12 pm »
Zealians used to use the Planet's magic though, before they found Lavos's

[Young Man]
   The Queen has sealed the Elemental
   Weapons in the north palace.

You can see its entrance on the
   northern continent, but no one is
   allowed there.

[Young Man]
   Combine the ancient Rainbow Shell and
   the Sun Stone to create incredible
   weapons and items.

But now, only the Guru of Life has the
   skill.
   Elemental power usage is forbidden.

Ah!
   Plants are so content!
   I wish I could be, too.

[Young Man]
   That's the Sun Keep you see on the
   southern continent. A Sun Stone, once
   the source of this world's power, was
   kept there.

But when we began using our new
   energy source, it was sealed up just
   like the north palace.

They claim we don't need the energy
   of this tired, old planet.

razor's edge

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2005, 07:25:41 pm »
Yes, used to. That's why the one Enlightened One considers Crono & Co's magic primitive.

GreenGannon

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2005, 07:45:25 pm »
I'd hardly call Luminaire primitive though. :P