Author Topic: Belthasars plan(spoilers)  (Read 801 times)

randall_Flagg_19

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
Belthasars plan(spoilers)
« on: February 09, 2007, 05:46:51 pm »
I searched a bit and couldnt find this answer anywhere, so I was wondering...
When Belthasar set up this plan of his, where he left FATE in control of things and then went back in time to 1000 era to see how things are going with his plan. Did he intentionally get Chronopolis to get thrown back in time? Or was it an accedent on FATES part? Everywhere I look it seems to say that "due to Belthasars time control plan in the future to fail, Lavos took notice of Chronopolis and sent it back 10000 years in hope of mukking with time a bit more." Now, did Belthasar have FATE purposley mess something up so Lavos would notice it and send it back in in time?Was that supposed to happen? It seems like it was, but I dont really know. ALSO. Why would Lavos be able to "see" Chronopolis in the future?If he is supposed to see it when he awakes during the ice age. why can he see it? How does this "failure" get Lavos to see it in the future?..I hope this question makes sense. Im pretty much intune with the storyline. Just this makes me wonder. Did Belthasar want it to get thrown back in time?Or not..?

AuraTwilight

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
Re: Belthasars plan(spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2007, 06:28:58 pm »
Balthasar planned EVERYTHING.

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
Re: Belthasars plan(spoilers)
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2007, 07:15:01 pm »
In the Japanese version, Belthasar said "After building Chronopolis, the Time Crash that it brought about was unexpected." However, Masato Kato later precised in the Ultimania interview that Belthasar was simply hiding the truth from Serge and that Belthasar really had planned everything (fact confirmed by Lucca's ghost in both Japanese and English versions). Kato also assisted Richard Honeywood when the game was translated in English, and Belthasar's line was changed to the now famous:

"Well, that research led to the creation of Chronopolis and to the Time Crash... You might think I really blew it, but perhaps it was really my finest hour!"

So, yes, Belthasar planned absolutely everything, including Lavos' execution of the Time Crash. This megalomaniac quote of his indeed sets the tone :/

As for how Lavos was able to see the future... Lavos lived in a "pocket dimension" (check the encyclopedia if necessary). So, the prevalent theory is that when Lavos was defeated, the timeline was rewritten with him absent in all eras except for the one or two brief moments in which he was outside of his pocket dimension. 12,000 B.C. was one such moment. In the CT timeline, Lavos awoke in 12,000 B.C. and destroyed the Ocean Palace and Zeal. In the post-CT timeline, Lavos awoke in 12,000 B.C. and destroyed the OC and Zeal and also time-crashed Chronopolis.

Note that there probably wasn't any failure in the future to begin with, it's just that the Frozen Flame was charged too much (just like the Mammon Machine) and Lavos reacted in angriness or whatever feeling.