Author Topic: Summit for Chrono Break  (Read 21740 times)

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Summit for Chrono Break
« on: February 05, 2007, 10:00:38 pm »

With Tanaka's recent interviews, a lot of buzz is traveling around the community concerning a new Chrono game and the possibility of Chrono Trigger coming to the Wii or DS. On our side of the field, the situation is clear. We should find some way to support the development of a new Chrono game. I'm not speaking of petitions or that kind of thing; rather, I'm issuing an invitation for ideas of all sorts. There must be several ways we can show our support for a new Chrono game and at least help the process in some small way. We have sample letters, sure, but what else can we do? Let's devise new ways to enhance the popularity of the series and stoke support for a new entry in the franchise. Just click "Comment on the forums" below and you can get started by replying. Let this be a community-wide event. Post your ideas now!

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
Re: Summit for Chrono Break
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2007, 10:10:21 pm »
Chrono Break Facts: The Short Version

* Chrono Break was being discussed by the Cross team and Sakaguchi in 2001, but was not greenlighted for development
    * Square registered the trademarks around the same time
    * Masato Kato (series leader), Sakaguchi, and other key personnel left Square shortly after
    * Richard Honeywood (Cross translator) in 2003 stated that they'd like to do another Chrono but were too busy with FFXI
    * US trademark expires in 2003; Japanese trademark still registered
    * Masato Kato returns to Square Enix in 2005
    * In 2007, Tanaka notes that the issue of making a new game is getting developers of the former games back together (whether they're in different companies now or split among Square projects such as World of Mana and FFXI)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2007, 10:13:49 pm by ZeaLitY »

Richforce

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2007, 10:43:44 pm »
Maybe if we hold some sort public event, like a special booth at a gamer's convention or trade show.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2007, 10:48:16 pm »
Sorry to just rush in right after I post, but if someone has ideas for where I could post this abroad (other, receptive forums), let me know.

Magus068

• Acacia Deva (+500)
  • Speak the truth, even it leads to your death!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2007, 11:26:17 pm »
YEAY AFTER A LONG WAIT THEY'RE FINALLY MAKING A CT SEQUEL!!!!!!!

We should held a forum between us fans & the development team to improve public relations & the chance where fans can add interesting ideas to the game.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2007, 11:39:10 pm »
Read his interviews and the short list. He was giving reasons why the sequel isn't being made.

Rayas

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2007, 07:10:23 am »
Funny thing: in 2000-2001 I used to write some story (in french, as it's my mother language) called "Chrono Break".
That was BEFORE the name got registered by Squaresoft. You can imagine how I was astonished by learning that.
Of course my imagination and crazy mind (and some friends) were screaming "Kato speaks french, he read you!" I know it's just some coincidence.

Anyway, back on topic.
I think gamers want a third Chrono game (as much as people want a FFVII-remake). It's an awesome saga, but for doing something real good like Chrono Cross was, you need the good people for it. Not only Kato, but all those who made both these games awesome.

As Kato is now back in Square-Enix, there MAY be some possible project like that, as legal rights are owned by SE and that the "Chrono Master" is back there to be able to direct it (if possible).

I dream of something unexpected, some new project directed by Kato with a good team, Mitsuda on music, etc. Yet it's something I'm afraid that will never happen.

So what now? We can still do some things by ourselves, like some fan projects. I'm myself planning to take my own Chrono Break story into some kind of RD-like game, somehow.

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2007, 08:06:23 am »
It'd be so much easier if we had a Japanese-speaking person on the Compendium... Tanaka said in an old interview that the FFXI developers often check FFXI community forums or outright play the game (with ordinary-looking pseudos of course). He confirmed this again in one of the recent Parisian interviews. If we could dump a translated version of this "Summit for Chrono Break" on some Japanese FFXI forums, maybe Tanaka and his folks could actually be aware of all this buzz.

Rayas

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2007, 09:24:45 am »
Yeah, from what I can tell, there's a HUGE difference between US and JP communities in FFXI.

If it's the same about Chrono, well, we're doomed :(

Nickolz

• Porrean (+50)
  • Dreambender
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2007, 01:37:53 pm »
I will post these ideas at some brazilian forums.

Everybody is so anxious for a Chrono sequel that I am sure they will try to help in some way.

And, one more thing... hmmm... writing in english to the japanese SE won't be a waste of time, will it? They will be able to read such a letter if I send it, won't they? o.O Just to be sure ^^

Magus22

• Bounty Hunter
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Jean-Luc Picard says "It's time for Chrono Break".
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2007, 02:11:23 pm »
I sent a letter to Square Japan some time ago concering a new Chrono game. I had the english and the Japanese translation below it. So yes, if you send a letter all in english, someone over there will most likely be able to read it. Our langauge is widely used and I am sure there employees had to learn english or take an american culture class before getting the job at Square.

Zeality, I could submit my Chrono Break idea concerning Dalton, the Lavos spawn atop Death Peak, and such. I could send it to you or post it here so the Compendium can critque and or polish it. I could then send it to Square like I have done in the past before with the other letter, this time without a translation.

Also, if Crono or any other Chrono character were to make an appearance in Super Smash Brothers Brawl, this may shine some old light on the series and bring about more of an audience to Mr. Sakurai's game. Doing so may rekindle what us fans have hoped to see for quite some time now.

lyonskar

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2007, 02:18:51 pm »
Hey. I've been hanging around this site for a good while now. I get excited whenever I hear any news on Chrono (even if they're not exactly possitive, but it's still better than no news at all =P)

After reading about the interview, I just can't sit quietly doing nothing! We have to promote this game somehow.

I may not have much say in all this... Let's see, I can understand some japanese, I can speak much more than I can read...

I also made a fan-game called Chrono Brink with RPG Maker 2000. (The story was kinda confusing, but the game had over 40 hours of gameplay, multiple endings, cross-over characters from Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross, and 1 new character made by me).

I'd be glad to join this community. If you think I can help in any way, just say it. I'll be happy to.

satchel_dawg

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2007, 03:07:22 pm »
i think that if nintendo hadn't screwed over square back in the good old days then we'd probably have a bunch of chrono games. if nintendo somehow tagged on the series would probably never end, mainly because nintendo's like that. we can always hope nintendo gives a hand, they do have final fantasy games on their consoles.

hopfully if they do remake ct or make a new game they use the anime style and not the "LOOKING REAL IS BETTER" crap. the more realistic somthing is the crappier in at least most games.

Ralkai

• Earthbound (+15)
  • We'll say "Good bye, lost Heaven!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2007, 03:37:23 pm »
I don't think that the original Chrono Trigger Team's members are now in diferents company is the real problem. Today all is posible with money and Square isn't a poor company after all. So if they want to do a new Chrono game they will do it. It's only a motivation problem, i think. So we only need to give that motivation to the company. An only person can't do so much, the only thing i can do is "spread the game" here in Spain, and wait...
So the idea that somebody gave before of do or participate in a public event I thin is a good idea, also the ideo of the letter is good, but i don't think that one letter is usefull. If we want to do this with letter we will need a lot of letters, nearly to saturate his mailbox, with letters from a lot of diferents places and languages, that make they believe that half world wants a third chapter.

lyonskar

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2007, 03:54:00 pm »
I don't think that the original Chrono Trigger Team's members are now in diferents company is the real problem. Today all is posible with money and Square isn't a poor company after all. So if they want to do a new Chrono game they will do it. It's only a motivation problem, i think. So we only need to give that motivation to the company. An only person can't do so much, the only thing i can do is "spread the game" here in Spain, and wait...
So the idea that somebody gave before of do or participate in a public event I thin is a good idea, also the ideo of the letter is good, but i don't think that one letter is usefull. If we want to do this with letter we will need a lot of letters, nearly to saturate his mailbox, with letters from a lot of diferents places and languages, that make they believe that half world wants a third chapter.

Akira Toriyama should've been the art director for Chrono Cross. I hope if Square ever gets to gather the dream team, iat would include Akira Toriyama. I mean he's still in charge of the Dragon Quests' art. I'm sure he'd be more than willing to lend a couple designs for the next Chrono. Animated cutscenes were awesome. And though Chrono Cross had some good adaptations of Toriyama's designs (think Leah, Belthasar, Guile, Luccia, and Schala), it was kinda hard to feel at home with them. That's my only critique for CC. But the game's just as good as CT IMO.