Author Topic: Original CC  (Read 1077 times)

_NrG_ImPact

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.project-ct.r8.org
Original CC
« on: August 13, 2004, 09:33:06 pm »
Are you getting everything for the site back together? Like the orginal CC Home Page backgorund.

Ramsus

Original CC
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2004, 09:48:50 pm »
No, the way in which the site will be presented has changed, as our hosting situation has also changed.

Now the site will consist mostly of the Encyclopedia (which is what you're seeing as the Home Page), in which we'll cram most of the material, including much of what used to be done using the old system and the forums.

We can't change the layout of the Encyclopedia by skinning it though, due to an issue with MediaWiki and PHP5 that makes it impossible. So the layout will remain plain and white for what could be months until PHPTAL is made compatible with PHP5.

Even after skinning support is working with PHP5, the layout won't be the same as the last one, but will instead be done without images.

The reason we're going to be avoiding images in the layout is simple: bandwidth. I've moved the site to a new server, a computer I used to use as my desktop machine on which I've installed FreeBSD 5.2.1. This new server is connected to the Internet via cable, and has an upload cap of ~12-15KB/s. So if we use a layout more than a few KB in size, it'll cause the site to download slowly, regardless of how fast your connection is. You could have a T3, and it would still load at modem-like speeds.

The upside is that we won't have to worry about losing data or having the server hacked anymore, and we can use whatever open source technologies we feel like, since the server doesn't belong to anyone else. Also, if something does happen, I have access to the hardware and can fix it.

You can also consider the 30GB of free HDD space another plus, but without a fast connection, it's pretty much useless.

Also, I might eventually write another new system for the Compendium to use, only with the qualities of the previous systems that worked (Wiki-style pages and referencing with Forum style authentication structure). It just depends on how much extra time I have in college, since I can't do it as part of my coursework being an art major.

YbrikMetaknight

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
  • I strike fast and disappear for years at a time.
    • View Profile
    • Chrono Compendium
Original CC
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2004, 07:39:22 pm »
Now, I know nothing about this kind of thing...but could pictures be included in articles externally, as they can be in the forums?  For example, could I write into the code to post, say, and have it show up?  What I'm wondering is, since it's hosted on my space on TCU's server, which essentially allows nigh-unlimited bandwidth, might it show up?  Forgive me for not knowing anything about how bandwidth works.