Author Topic: Are all of the topics here?  (Read 1234 times)

sergecross73

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
Are all of the topics here?
« on: August 05, 2004, 01:50:48 pm »
Were some of the topics in the different forums lost after the recent server troubles. It seems like some of the threads i was reading and checking on are now gone... (strangely enough, several i was writing in)

Also, Ramsus, do you think that you should make the note about the forums being up a little bigger or more noticable?  I don't mean to complain, it's just that me personnally over looked the fact that the forums were back because I kept checking the site, and kept seeing that pic of a girl you drew, and figured the site was still down.

Ramsus

« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2004, 06:44:15 pm »
The latest backup I had was from about half a week before the site went down. Also, I've been getting some problems with the MySQL server that I need to look into. If you notice anything strange, be sure to mention it so I don't accidentally miss something.

I'll make the forums being back more obvious once I've fixed several problems with it.

Anonymous

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2004, 08:32:31 pm »
aww crap! i just noticed that i'm all the way down to 25 posts... i had been all the way up to 50, and was a time traveller...(yeah, i had a lot of free time right before it crashed, and i was posting a lot.)

GrayLensman

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2004, 01:07:54 am »
We don't care about post counts, here.  Chrono enthusiasts are valued by the quality of their contributions, not quantity.  However, I do find it troubling that even a few days of data were lost.  We should increase the backup frequency to daily.

Ramsus

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2004, 01:39:21 am »
I accidentally messed up the most recent backup, which is why the latest working one is more than a few days old.

Backups require logging into the server and running a few programs to dump about 20-30MB of SQL data and compress it to around 5-6MB before downloading everything (an involved process taking about 2-5 minutes), which is why I didn't backup the site every day. If I were online more often, I could have backed up the site daily, but then I also could have gotten around to automating and assigning the task to someone else.

Right now it doesn't matter though, since the site is no longer hosted on a virtual hosting server with a dozen or so other sites, and I can get to the actual machine if I need to for data recovery. The current server is actually the machine I would store backups on to begin with, so no regular backups are necessary right now.

However, we'll be moving to some different hosting later this year, maybe even as late as early next year, so I'll work out the backup issue then. Being someone who isn't online a lot, I probably shouldn't be doing the backups. When the time comes, I'll put together something and leave it to the site staff members.