Author Topic: Character Trust  (Read 4289 times)

Leebot

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Black Wind Agent (+600)
    • View Profile
    • Infophilia
Character Trust
« on: August 03, 2004, 11:02:39 pm »
Here's a question that lies behind almost all of the theories and analysis posted on this site:

Can we trust everything we're told by characters within the games?

We can probably trust almost all of it--these characters' shpeils (sp? Is there even a correct spelling?) are often the ways the producers and writers reveal the plot us; sometimes in an uncharacteristic manner (Kid in Chronopolis), sometimes appearing for no other purpose (Crono, Marle, and Lucca at the end of CC). These cases we can almost definitely trust.

Other conversations are less trustworthy. For instance, when Serge talks to Belthasar, Belthasar's plan has not yet been completely fulfilled, so he may have reason to lie to Serge so Serge will take the correct actions.

Symmetry

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
Character Trust
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2004, 12:15:54 am »
The way I see it, the game's writers wouldn't needlessly create text for the characters to speak - they've got enough to deal with as is. When the characters say something, I accept it as truth, at least as far as they could know from their discoveries in the game. What they say certainly isn't foolproof - the truth could be revealed later in the game, but until otherwise demonstrated, I consider the characters to be another pathway for the writers to convey the story.

Work on the premises given until something more solid is revealed, right?

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Character Trust
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2004, 01:36:28 am »
Yes, that's how most of Belthasar's dialogue operates anyhow. When he first speaks to Serge, he does so in a tone of mere speculation, but we know that he's in charge of everything. The red-flagger case of incorrect dialogue is Lucca's explanation of Marle's family line.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
Character Trust
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2004, 04:42:35 pm »
Sometimes I believe it depends on which character we're talking about, why they say what they say, and what reasons and motives they would have for doing so. For the most part, I believe most of the characters as they have no real reason to lie. Although, this too may be reveiled to be wrong perhaps later in the game, or in an entirely new game if they wish to **** with our heads some. You never know.

Unless Kato tells us so that is.

He wouldn't lie to us, right?

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
Character Trust
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2004, 10:56:40 am »
Quote from: V_Translanka

I think he wouldn't. However, Kato's the one who said the Second Moon came during the Time Crash, and I still can make out only one big yellow moon during the orphanage sequence.

GrayLensman

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
Character Trust
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2004, 11:44:12 am »
Quote from: Chrono'99
Quote from: V_Translanka

I think he wouldn't. However, Kato's the one who said the Second Moon came during the Time Crash, and I still can make out only one big yellow moon during the orphanage sequence.

If the moons have separate orbits (which they should, unless the moons orbit each other), and thus have different orbital periods, they will only line up at certain times.  The conjunction seen in Chrono Cross may be as rare as a total solar eclipse.

Casual Observer

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
Character Trust
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2004, 02:56:08 pm »
Honestly, if most of the "bad people" tell you the truth, why would you doubt your own characters? Sure, they may have a bad idea on something that has more light shrouded upon it later in the game, but otherwise, it's foolproof.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
Character Trust
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2004, 08:02:23 pm »
Perhaps the second moon he spoke of IS the big yellow/white moon. The Red Moon could be the original, couldn't it? I know that the Red Moon can be seen during the fight with Zeal on the Black Omen. Are there any other actual moons represented anywhere in Trigger?

Casual Observer

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
Character Trust
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2004, 08:33:44 pm »
None that are shown. Though, it is interesting to note that you see the red moon on the Black Omen when fighting Zeal, and the Yellow, larger moon during the cut-scene of Magus' castle.

Leebot

• Guru of Time Emeritus
    • View Profile
    • Infophilia
Character Trust
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2004, 08:46:50 pm »
Quote from: Casual Observer
None that are shown. Though, it is interesting to note that you see the red moon on the Black Omen when fighting Zeal, and the Yellow, larger moon during the cut-scene of Magus' castle.

So, now we have evidence that both moons existed before the Time Crash. Or, is this something we can (dare I say it?) write off as an error by the programmers of CT? I believe that different events/periods of the game were written by different people, which we can use to explain a few inconsistencies (such as the explanation for Marle's disappearance differing from how time-travel works for the rest of the game).

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Character Trust
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2004, 08:59:09 pm »
Probably atmospheric distortion. Belthasar remarks that the moons didn't exist prior to CT, and since we only see one moon in both cases, I'd say this is sound.

GrayLensman

• View Profile
Character Trust
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2004, 01:00:27 am »
The moon turns red during a lunar eclipse.  The size of the moon from scene to scene is simply a matter of perspective because there is no common frame of reference.

Leebot

• Guru of Time Emeritus
    • View Profile
    • Infophilia
Character Trust
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2004, 06:22:42 pm »
Atmospheric distortion sounds like the best answer to me. The Black Omen could be said to cause a lot of distortion itself, so let's just chalk it up to that.

A lunar eclipse, on the other hand, doesn't seem that likely. For one thing, there's no shadow on the moon. Granted, it is possible for the shadow to be close enough that atmospheric filtering would occur, but then there would be a definite gradient. Besides, the only reason we see orange during an eclipse is the pollution in earth's atmosphere; it would appear yellow if the atmosphere were clean. Pollution is also the reason sunsets/sunrises are so beautiful; think about this next time you admire one.

GrayLensman

• View Profile
Character Trust
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2004, 07:17:22 pm »
The red color of sunsets and lunar eclipses is caused by the refraction of sunlight through the earth's atmosphere, not pollution.  I admit pollution has an effect, but a lunar eclipse would appear red even if the earth had an atmosphere of pure oxygen.

Leebot

• Guru of Time Emeritus
    • View Profile
    • Infophilia
Character Trust
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2004, 08:21:36 pm »
Well, that's an argument that goes well beyond the goals of this site and the point of this thread, so I suggest we just leave it there.