Author Topic: .... god dammit hollywood.  (Read 1699 times)

cupn00dles

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Beneath this mask there is more than flesh.
    • View Profile
Re: .... god dammit hollywood.
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2006, 09:52:42 pm »
Heh. Let's just hope that Peter Jackson be the one to direct The Hobbit.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2006, 10:47:45 pm »

That is almost certain not to be the case. A few weeks ago, the production studio with the rights to the film announced that Jackson and his entire creative team would not be retained for The Hobbit due to a legal claim by Jackson that he was underpaid for The Fellowship of the Ring. Ergo, the new movie will likely be produced by a completely new creative team.

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2006, 03:36:22 am »

That is almost certain not to be the case. A few weeks ago, the production studio with the rights to the film announced that Jackson and his entire creative team would not be retained for The Hobbit due to a legal claim by Jackson that he was underpaid for The Fellowship of the Ring. Ergo, the new movie will likely be produced by a completely new creative team.

There have been counter-moves. MGM, which owns distributing rights (New Line only owns production rights) seems to be backing PJ, and has said something to the effect that they cannot see it going forward without him. As such, that whole thing is a long way from over. Plus, if anyone else did try to do it, it would be ridiculous. Not because of a change in director, per say - that would be interesting - but because it would likely lead to the loss of the actor playing Gandalf, the superb Ian Mckellan. This would cause a grave lack of continuity between the movies, and people would probably have a bit of a negative reaction to it. Also, WETA would likely not be involved in quite the same way if PJ is not there, and as much as I liked Star Wars and all that, I think it would be disastrous if ILM did the effects - they don't have the right touch for this sort of thing. So whilst I think the director could technically be changed, I fear what might happen if the others bow out as well.

The thing is, beyond those few, there are some clever cameos that could be implemented that, whilst not technically written into the Hobbit, would not be entirely discontinuous. After all, Legolas is almost defintely there when Thorin and company are captured in Mirkwood - his father is the king Thranduil, after all. It would be missing a perfect opportunity to not at least have him just be there in presence. Or Aragorn, at some point, perhaps. Maybe in Rivendell. After all, that was his home in his youth, and at the time of the Hobbit he was what, 30? Almost. He was probably nearly leading the armies of Gondor at that point (and yes, I know what I'm talking about. He DID lead the armies of Gondor way, way before the time of Return of the King. When Denethor was a young man, he came to the city disguised as one... Thorengil or some name like that. He came to be in high standing, and led the armies to a great victory against the Corsairs of Umbar. He wouldn't take the honours, though, and just sort of ... disappeared into the shadows from which he had come. Do remember, Aragorn is Numenorean. In the end, he lives to be over 200, I think. And that's not exceptionally old for his race.)

cupn00dles

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2006, 07:41:48 am »

There have been counter-moves. MGM, which owns distributing rights (New Line only owns production rights) seems to be backing PJ, and has said something to the effect that they cannot see it going forward without him. As such, that whole thing is a long way from over. Plus, if anyone else did try to do it, it would be ridiculous. Not because of a change in director, per say - that would be interesting - but because it would likely lead to the loss of the actor playing Gandalf, the superb Ian Mckellan. This would cause a grave lack of continuity between the movies, and people would probably have a bit of a negative reaction to it. Also, WETA would likely not be involved in quite the same way if PJ is not there, and as much as I liked Star Wars and all that, I think it would be disastrous if ILM did the effects - they don't have the right touch for this sort of thing. So whilst I think the director could technically be changed, I fear what might happen if the others bow out as well.

I am aware of it all. But I still hope PJ be the one to direct The Hobbit.

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2006, 09:29:53 am »
What's sad is the Dungeons and Dragons movie is what got me hooked on D&D itself.

I hate you, nightmare.

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2006, 03:24:21 pm »
What's sad is the Dungeons and Dragons movie is what got me hooked on D&D itself.

I hate you, nightmare.

I only got hooked because I believed I could make a better story then it.

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2006, 04:14:08 pm »

I hate you, nightmare.

I only got hooked because I believed I could make a better story then it.

'Twas a joke. So sorry! :'(

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2006, 09:26:00 pm »
I remember hearing some Sam Raimi speculation on directing The Hobbit...though I think that may have been squashed now...I dunno...

Quote from: Lord J esq
Thank goodness, against all odds we were delivered over the next several years by masterpieces like Spirited Away, classics like The Lord of the Rings, and modern, experimental stuff like Mirrormask.

Well, yeah, when you mention works by fantasy-fuckin-masters like Miyazaki, Tolkien, & Gaiman...>_>

cupn00dles

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2006, 08:30:38 am »
I remember hearing some Sam Raimi speculation on directing The Hobbit...though I think that may have been squashed now...I dunno...

I heard of that too.

Somehow, I don't feel like Sam Raimi would be able to create a proper Tolkien experience. And I did hear also that it has already been squashed by now, indeed.

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2006, 07:16:26 pm »
What is 'proper Tolkien', though? Recall how much was changed in the making of Peter Jackson's films. Take, for example, the style and feel of the Elves - what PJ did is not exactly what Tolkien would have envisioned, or is only now and again. In the movies they are more etherial and mystical. And they have pointed ears, a thing that in the Tolkien world is at best an obscure comment - never in any major work does he mention such a thing. The 'graceful' Legolas would have been a bit sketchy for him, too - he once commented on an effeminate drawing of Legolas, saying that he had the greatest physical strength and hardihood and perseverence of all the fellowship - able to run barefoot over snow and rocks, and the strength of arm to shoot down a Nazgul from the air. The Elves, as a whole, were a lot more physical and real than they were made out to be (indeed, if you read the Fall of Gondolin, you see them wielding clubs and slings, which seem very un-typical-elf-like.) Though PJ made an excellent movie, he neccessarially changed things - it's the individual artist's touch. However, the idea of the Elves with their tall helms and mail of silver, like the Gnomish king Fingolfin who fought the first dark lord before the gates of hell, is left behind... The same could be said for the representation of the Numenoreans at the start of the Fellowship. Tolkien in fact drew their helms - and they look not a bit like they made them look in the movie. Personally, I think PJ and the whole artistic team at WETA one-upped Tolkien on that one. The colourful-shell like helmet wouldn't have looked nearly as good. Or the Balrog, even! Kudos to them for adding wings, but it's too big. I mean, the chief balrog Gothmog was killed when the elf lord Ecthelion, at the fall of the city Gondolin, drove the spike of his helmet into his heart. The balrog can't have been that tall. Nor, if they were of that majestic stature that the movie portrays, could the mortal hero Tuor (ancestor of both Elrond and Aragorn) killed five of them in one battle. Or, heh, another... Legolas' hair. It's blond in the movie because there's an artistic tradition that they are following, but technically, it's almost certain that he has dark hair... unless he has Vanyar blood like Galadriel, which is unlikely. Anyway... okay, that's a long set of things, but seriously the point is, PJ changed things, and isn't exactly Tolkien, and it was okay. So I imagine that someone else could do it, too.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2006, 07:18:39 pm by Daniel Krispin »

cupn00dles

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2007, 01:18:33 pm »
Heh. Audiovisually speaking, I would name "Proper Tolkien experience" an experience with a feeling of epicness similar to the one given by the book. PJ slaughtered much of the story, plot, setting, characters, and many other aspects of LOTR, but he was able to keep a level of epic feeling similar to the book. One doesn't even have to go as far as consulting the Sil, the UT or other pre-LOTR writings in order to see how much PJ changed things and how many subjects were taken an overly-free perspective.

Raimi seems to me like he is more of a personal-level director, more suited to one-man personal conflicts than larger than life over the top breath-taking epic conflicts. I really can't see him working on a Proper Tolkien experience.