Author Topic: A tip to writers  (Read 6324 times)

x_XTacTX_x

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • I got myself a Paper Clip.
    • View Profile
Re: A tip to writers
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2008, 12:46:01 am »
I've read the thing up at the top at least 5 times now and I still laugh. :lol:

TriforceofEternity

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2009, 12:37:35 am »
There really isn't a whole lot of adventure fanfic for CT on the net except "dead" ones.  :(

Unless of course I skipped them due to lack of intresting summery.    I tend to take summeries very seriously before I read the story as a key to it.

x_XTacTX_x

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2009, 07:00:45 pm »
There really isn't a whole lot of adventure fanfic for CT on the net except "dead" ones.  :(

Unless of course I skipped them due to lack of intresting summery.    I tend to take summeries very seriously before I read the story as a key to it.

That's retarded, especially considering a site that has summaries only consisting of things like "ferst story dont flame lol R&R and I will R&R fav pls pls pls!!! ^w^"

teaflower

• Dreams are the gateway to reality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2009, 07:04:52 pm »
I actually do take summaries seriously when they mean stuff. My summaries consisted of the main plot, a little info on the newest episode, and a request to be nice.

As for that little blurb... dear god. I think I've written better even when I couldn't keep my characters' names straight (one famous incident was when the character, Terra, was referred to as Kitari, another character in a completely different story with no connection to the other one).

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2009, 01:00:29 am »
Someone should re-write that fic in ZeaLitY's post and turn it into a grandiose 20+ chapter epic. lol

idioticidioms

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2009, 01:12:17 am »
I actually have to disagree. I was writing better stories than that when I was 10, lol. Then again, I always had natural voice to my writing which my teachers loved to point out to the entire class.

FouCapitan

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • Whatever it is, I'm against it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2009, 01:30:32 am »
Of all the fanfics I've done...  The first actually was a Chrono Trigger one I believe.  Long long ago back when the net was young.  I never did complete it though, but I am incorperating some of the aspects of it into my newer one.

Someone should re-write that fic in ZeaLitY's post and turn it into a grandiose 20+ chapter epic. lol

Well we can already double its length by using the [enter] key.  Paragraphs are a reader's friend.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2009, 01:36:01 am »
We'd need to come up with an overarching theme and character arcs.

What is the theme of that fanfic? Anyone wanna take a stab at it?

idioticidioms

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2009, 01:37:43 am »
"to bravely put all text in one paragraph; to search out new ways to confuse and annoy"

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2009, 07:38:17 am »
If only bad fanfic-ing was the internet's final frontier...V_V

TriforceofEternity

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2009, 01:48:08 am »
ahem. don't you mean seek not search?      :shock:

xcalibur

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2009, 08:24:02 am »
Lmao, aw man..

i got a little over halfway through, but then my HP dropped to zero from the devastating literary assault.

shit was worse than grand stone and dreamless all at the same time

x_XTacTX_x

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2009, 05:07:10 pm »
"Give me a second, I need a power source." The trio finds a power source.

Reading this again and laughing so hard jesus christ

Samopoznanie

• Enlightened One (+200)
  • Playing Upon the Strings of Emptiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2009, 07:53:40 pm »
My first time reading this... LMAO!  :picardno :picardno :picardno

Painful. But hilarious!  :lol:
"Look at that!" "It’s the biggest time gate I’ve ever seen!"
For anyone who's watched Godfrey Ho's spliced up ninja b-movies, this line particularly reminds me of them - specifically a scene in 'Catman in Lethal Track'.
A gate opens up. Crono, Marle, and Lucca pop out.
I think the narrator's bits might be my favourite part of this.
The thieves start speaking another language. "Aiwoemnrnfuvjanwioeu." "Awoienjnviuiqjklqkjl?"
While coming up with accents / dialects / languages is never easy, this extended typo stuff is just...!
"Marle use Cure on him now!" "CURE!"
Actually, the fact that Marle has to yell 'Cure!' might outdo the narrator for my favourite bit.
*What will happen to Crono, Marle, and Lucca? Will they get the Gate Key back? Will they find out where all of the monsters are coming from? Find out in the next story.*
Sounds like the end of a 1960s Batman episode!

Pretty funny stuff. While I agree with the folks who said they could write better in grade school, the comments made me feel pretty bad for the guy. They were pretty mean-spirited and the author sounded like he couldn't be past his early teens, and he never posted anything again after those awful two paragraphs.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 08:12:45 pm by Samopoznanie »

GenesisOne

• Bounty Seeker
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • "Time Travel? Possible? Don't make me laugh!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2009, 01:48:38 am »
As an English Major reading this story, I can't help but do this:

:picardno

My favorite lines:

This is my first story I’ve written. I hope you enjoy it...

This is perhaps the quickest way to put this guy's story into the circular file.

The year is 1005. It has been 5 years since Crono and his friends went through time to stop Lavos. This is what happens after the destruction of Lavos...

This is narrative intrusion up the wazoo!  What, you don't think fans of CT wouldn't know this already?  This is just insulting.

"Crono! Crono! Where are you Crono?" "Marle! I told you not to bother me!" "Oh come on! The fireworks have started!" *BOOM* *BOOM* "Oh man." Crono leaves his house towards Guardia Forest. He is attacked by some monsters.

With its impersonal narrative substance, improper formatting, and tedious dialogue, this just screams “I’m a beginning writer!”

A gate opens up. Crono, Marle, and Lucca pop out. "When are we?" "And where are we?" "Luckily I invented a new machine that can tell us when and where we are." "Lucca, what would I do without you?" "Come on, check the machine." "Give me a second, I need a power source." The trio finds a power source. .

A blatant Deus ex Machina!  What’s not to like about it?

Crono touches the statue and is shocked. "Crono!" Crono is thrown out of the temple. "Where did Crono land?" "Let’s look outside."

In this order: Who said that? Outside of the temple, and Duh!

Marle and Lucca step outside to see Crono surrounded by a band of thieves. "Crono!" The thieves look up to see Marle and Lucca. The thieves start speaking another language. "Aiwoemnrnfuvjanwioeu." "Awoienjnviuiqjklqkjl?" The thieves run off dropping a glowing dagger.

Apparently, this author has streamlined grammar, syntax, roots, vocalizations, and foreign influence into his artificial language.  All he had to do was pound the keyboard and say, “The thieves spoke like this!” Do you hear that?  It’s the sound of J.R.R. Tolkien spinning in his grave.

"Lucca, check the machine and see if you can track them down." "The thieves have headed north to the Northern Truce Dome." "Truce Dome?" "Let’s go to Northern Truce Dome!"

Five years of R&D into a plot device has done wonders for genius inventor Lucca.  Also, I didn’t know there was more than one Truce Dome.  Did you?  But I guess it makes sense to call it the Northern Truce Dome since its "north" of where they are.

*What will happen to Crono, Marle, and Lucca? Will they get the Gate Key back? Will they find out where all of the monsters are coming from? Find out in the next story.*

Cliffhangers are a breeze for this guy since he didn’t invest much effort in the first story.  Maybe he’ll improve the next time around.  If not, please post the sequel (if there is one).  As a fiction writer myself, I just love deconstructing stories.