Author Topic: Help with Temporal Flux ^^  (Read 2068 times)

XcyrusX

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
    • myspace.com/nathan98023
Help with Temporal Flux ^^
« on: December 06, 2006, 01:11:13 am »
Hi Again i want to start using temporal flux to tweak chrono trigger and I've had some trouble with editing the dialog in the game what i do is goto a location EX. Chrono's Kitchen and then i click on events and change the existing dialog like changing , "Oh i almost forgot heres your allowance dear" to somthing like "And Don't forget to do the dishes" or something. Anyway one of my questions is how to add new dialog with characters....its a newbie question but yeah...

Zakyrus

• Entity
  • Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • "Bouncy, bouncy, bouncy... --!!"
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Temporal Flux ^^
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2006, 02:03:55 am »
In the event editor, add a new command at the point where you want your new text to be displayed. Change this command to Catagory: Text, Command: Textbox, now to add new text change the string value to one higher than the current highest. Example: Hit the ^ arrow and scroll until there is blank text. You can type add text for your new line of dialouge. Then hit update and write + mem to save changes. Don't forget to save (ctrl-S) to make these changes permanent.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2006, 02:07:49 am by Zakyrus »

XcyrusX

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2006, 07:09:46 pm »
Cool Cool it worked thx a bunch but i got one more question can you explain location pointers for meh i read the manual and the help page but iono where to go to save location pointers yeah so thx again...

Zakyrus

• Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2006, 03:30:38 am »
Cool Cool it worked thx a bunch but i got one more question can you explain location pointers for meh i read the manual and the help page but iono where to go to save location pointers yeah so thx again...

I'm a little "spaced out" at the moment  :), and I am probably way off. Do you mean saving changes made after editing map files and such? If so, just hit ctrl-S to write to memory, then Ctrl-Shift-S to save make the changes permanent. If I'm wrong just try to be a little more specific, and I'll try my best to help you out.

XcyrusX

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2006, 04:25:15 am »
Ok sry ill try and be more specific basicly i want to make a new area similar to chrono's house but only 1 floor....ok?

Now i know that there isnt any blank maps tp create new area's you have to use blank spots on maps..for Ex. the Cathedral in 600 AD. 

* Well I made the outside of the house on the World map [it looks like lucca's]
* Then I used blank space in the Cathedral to make the 1st floor.
* Here is where i am stuck...

* _ PROBLEMS_*

How Do I connect The world map Location to the new room i created in the Cathedral?

How do i make the New Room I created in the Cathedral seprate from the whole Cathedral?

And a lil help with putting exits...

Chickenlump

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2006, 11:41:02 am »
*How Do I connect The world map Location to the new room i created in the Cathedral?*

Create a new exit for the overworld map.
Click the Window menu, then Overworld, then Exits. A tab will appear for you to edit the exits of the overworld.
In the Total Exits field, up the max exits to 51. Then in the field below it, enter 50 (the new exit you created (it starts at 0)). Now that you are on your new exit, place it to where you want it on the map by editing the x,y coords. To see your exits on the map, go to the Map menu, and click on Exits, and all the exits will appear as red empty squares.  Next, choose a string to display upon standing on the exit tile. Edit these strings in the Strings menu. Next, in the Available field, choose True. In the Destination field, choose the location you will be appearing in, and finally edit the x,y coords of where you will appear in this newly gotten-to location, and which direction you are going to face.

Tile properties decide where you can have an exit placed. Tile Properties are enabled under the Map Menu. In this mode you copy and paste preset tile properties over the tile you want to have those properties. The top two quads of the tile are marked as exit (yellow) in the picture above, they line up exactly with my newly placed location. I right clicked on a square already marked this way and placed it over where I needed it. To see what properties are assigned to that tile, go to the Window menu, then Overworld, then Tile Properties. You can also edit the properties of the tiles, but editing the properties of a square will affect the whole map with squares of that type, so it's best to use squares with properties already set that fit your needs, instead of editing them.

*How do i make the New Room I created in the Cathedral seprate from the whole Cathedral?*

Edit the scroll mask properties for that location, so that everything BUT your room is blanked out.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2006, 05:19:05 pm by Chickenlump »

XcyrusX

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2006, 04:50:05 pm »
Omg Thank you so Much! :D

I totally get this now! ima brb gotta make new area's

WOOT.

Chickenlump

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2006, 05:18:02 pm »
Glad to help. :)

It can be quite daunting at first, but when you get into it, it all comes together quite easily.

Location exits don't need special tile properties set like overworld exits do, and overworld tile properties are not as forgiving or flexible as location tile properties. Thankfully, somewhere on the map is one already you can use already, which is good, as there is little reason to edit them, unless you are doing graphic work on overworld tiles.

Just post here again if you need help with anything else. Good luck.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2006, 05:32:58 pm by Chickenlump »

Zakyrus

• Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2006, 05:23:31 am »
Sorry I didn't get back to you right away (not having my own internet right now sucks). But here is some additional info that will help you out with locations/maps.

Locations use the location pointer AND a map file. The location pointer uses the scroll data to define the playable area in that location. Whereas the map file is the entire map itself and can hold multiple locations(that's obviously where scrolls come in handy).

Also, you can change the locations map file to CA for a blank map. (Maps CA-FF are unused, but CB-FF won't be use-able until the next version of Temporal Flux)

The map part is highlighted in yellow for you in the screenshot below in part "1". Also, change the change the palette(highlighted light-blue) and L1/2 & L3 Tilesets(highlighted green) to whichever one you want. I chose the Zeal tileset and palette because I am making a Grand Library for Zeal Palace. (Zeal Palace seemed empty so I figured I would make this area; filled to the brim with Zealean knowledge and secret passageways).

If you look at part "2" this shows you how to make the Map Properties tab visible shown in part "3"
Window_Menu>Location>Map Properties

..and "3" is located at the very bottom left corner of the editor(by the Start bar if the window is maximized).
Clicking on the tab will overlay the Map Properties editor over the Location Properties editor.

Part "4" is part of an image of the Map Properties editor. Here you can change how many units a map file uses(simular to the scroll editor ChickenLump is talking about but used instead for tile space that the entire map uses). The max width & height is 40 (which is quite alot of space).

(Don't you just love my Fisher Price images? Now even toddlers can learn TF!)

I hope this helps.

Oh yeah, and if anyone is curious to see my progress just click on the image:

The bookshelves can be walked behind (I changed the Priority of the NW,NE,SW,SE Tile Quadrants for the upper tiles on them to False).
« Last Edit: December 16, 2006, 04:50:54 pm by Zakyrus »